80sCartoons.net Forum Index

About Volunteering

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Volunteering/Content Change Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora
High Priestess of the Cartoons

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 2:44 am    Post subject: About Volunteering Reply with quote

Thanks for taking a look.

Currently, we are in the middle of a large site redesign. I am not currently accepting active volunteers, but if you'd like to post your info for later consideration, please do so. Indicate your area(s) of expertise, from PHP to image editing to research, and whatever other relevant skills you posess. Also indicate if you wish to host certain heavy-bandwidth portions of the site, such as video files.

I will post requests for specific help as necessary, and will attempt to contact those of you who posted and who have the necessary skills.

Thank you for your support!

Aurora
80sCartoons.net

son goku
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i love this page and its greate that we have a new forum .

I know lots about anime so if you ever need some info i can try and help.

Radical

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Volunteering Reply with quote

With regards to what I can do to help, I'm a cartoonist & I have a good knowledge of 80s cartoons in the UK & am now able to do screengrabs.

Like the forum set-up here, it's closer to what I'm used to so...yay!

.¸¸,ø¤º°*»Ruth«*°º¤ø,¸¸.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
http://www.projectstupid.co.uk - for the stupid things in life

Ruth@crlf.org - to talk about the stupid things in life

http://www.livejournal.com/users/planetruth/ - to read about my stupid life

http://www.planetruth.deviantart.com - for the the artistic things in life

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
son goku
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey welcome back planetruth Wink

you are a great help at remembering old odd cartoons.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! As you both probably know, I'm working with someone to get a database created, and a new site design. The site design is pretty much laid out, but integrating it with the database isn't yet. It's going to be a while before I get new toon info out. I will be in touch with you two when we start updating again. ^.^

teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, uh. I hope i still get to volunteer. I can do image stuff, researching stuff, web stuff, flash stuff and audio and video stuff (to a degree anyway, still missing some hardware, can't wait until i get Twisted Evil ).

Aurora

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teddy0bear wrote:
Well, uh. I hope i still get to volunteer. I can do image stuff, researching stuff, web stuff, flash stuff and audio and video stuff (to a degree anyway, still missing some hardware, can't wait until i get Twisted Evil ).

Oooh. Well, additions to the site are on hold, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to do. I'm still editing some images. If you'd like to upload screenshots, I'll definitely accept those and they'll go into new galleries as the gallery portion of the site and database are implemented.

If you want to do image preparation, here's a list of guidelines:

• Check to see if there's already a lot of images for that show. If you can't provide better ones than are already there, or images for characters/places that I don't have yet, then find a different cartoon
  • Post a thread in this forum to state that you're working on the images so two people don't do the same thing
  • 400x300 pixels or less, preferably less if you can do it without loss of detail
  • Compressed the images best you can without loss of quality. JPG preferred, but PNG also acceptable, if JPG can't give a smaller, higher quality image. GIFs are usually out, but once in a while they're the better choice. I'll leave it as a judgement call for you.
  • Upload them into a folder with that cartoon's name (or partial name if the name is long).
  • Try to keep it to 30 images or less, unless there's lots of places/things/characters to represent.
  • Give the images descriptive names, for goodness' sake, or include a text file that maps the image name to a very short description. I don't know that I'll remember the difference between, say, Handy Smurf and Vanity Smurf and don't want to flub it when I say what the image is. (If you don't know, just give it a generic name.)

PM me if you need the username/password to the dedicated upload area. (Note: The upload area is only accessible via FTP or the web FTP client my host provides. You cannot view the items in the folder via your browser.)

Also, if you can do video, I appreciate short video clips, or even full episodes (if the cartoon is not available commercially, of course). I don't have the bandwidth or storage space to keep a lot of episodes, so opening sequences, or short clips of 10 minutes or less would be great! I have a few trailers that I will be posting for the GI Joe movie and the Laser Tag Academy movie. (Yes, they actually did those as movies. ^^;; )

Sound files are nice, too. A few from each series available to you would be nice to have, if you can get them. I won't use them yet, but will once the redesign is finished, so don't upload them yet, but having them ready would be nice. (I poked at my web designer and DBA today to see where things stand.)

If anyone can offer hosting for one or more video or sound files, that would be a big help, too!

Thanks in advance for your help! ^.^

-H-
Radical

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this site is awesome, I'd love to be able to help out in anyway possible. I have some hosting space I can offer to help out with (currently going unused) for hosting small videos clips or two.

Keep up the great work.

syntax010
Radical

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: nice Reply with quote

This site is quite awesome. I would love to volunteer to assist with it if I am able. I am a Microsoft MCP that is also certified A+ and Net+ via compTIA. In addition, I have the equipment and the capabilities for transferring VHS video recordings to DVD as well as the equipment and capabilities for re-encoding existing video into DVD or Divx format. I am a big fan of 80s cartoons.
Most of my knowledge in that area is around the so-called "action" cartoons from the 80s, such as G.I. Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, Dungeons and Dragons, etc. I have a good amount of extra hard drive space and the capability to post non-commercially released episodes via FTP or via Bittorent.

I would prefer to work with Bittorent as that once the episodes get seeded a few times, then it won't require just me to share them. It is a rather good network for sharing files and easy for noobs to get in on. As long as people would be willing to stay connected long enough for their personal seed ratio to share the episodes 100% once, it would be quite easy to get these episodes out and keep them around.

If anyone has any old 80s cartoons in VHS format and would be interested in getting them transferred to DVD, I am more than able to do that as well. However, I would have to insist on only doing episodes and series that are not out on retail sale at the moment to make sure it remains legal.

If anyone would be interested, feel free to look up my contact info on my profile and contact me. I can go over more details on a person by person basis.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Volunteering/Content Change Requests All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: