80sCartoons.net Forum Index

News, Releases, and Updates
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Additional info on unreleased Reply with quote

Here is some intersting info:

ABC Weekend Specials from 1977 – 1996
Production Company - American Broadcasting Company (ABC)
Producers – from 1977 – 1995 – 106 producers
Distribution Company - American Broadcasting Company (ABC)
*Anchor Bay Entertainment distributed by 20th Century Fox Entertainment
Directors – from 1978 – 1995 –51 – episode directors
Writers – from 1984 – 1992 110 – episode writers
Voice Actors – from 1981 – 1993 617 – voice actors
Music Writers – from 1978 – 1995 36 – music writers
The CB Bears Series from 1977 – 1978
1.CB Bears 2. Blast Off Buzzard 3. Posse Impossible Heyyy, It’s the King Shake, Rattle, and Roll and Undercover Elephant aired on NBC 1977
Production - Hanna-Barbera Productions Company/National Broadcasting Company (NBC)
Producers - 4 producers
Distribution - Hanna-Barbera Productions Company/ National Broadcasting Company (NBC)
*Warner Brothers bought the rights of Hanna Barbera
Director - 1 director
Writers - 12 writers (for the 6 series)
Voice Actors - 25 voice actors
Music Writers - 2 music writers
CBS Storybreak from 1985 – 1987
Production Company - Southern Star Productions Hanna-Barbera Australia CBS Entertainment Production Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS)
Producers - 5 producers
Distribution Company - Southern Star Productions Hanna-Barbera Australia CBS Entertainment Production Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS)
*FVI belongs to 20th Century Fox ASSE and HBP made cartoon series for CBS entertainment CBS and Fox make and distribute cartoons and run it on CBS Cartoon Network
Directors - 3 directors
Writers - 28 writers
Voice Actors – 97 voice actors
Music Writers - 9 music writers
Little Wizards from 1987 – 1988
Production Company - Marvel Productions American Broadcasting Company (ABC)
Producers - 5 producers
Distribution Company - American Broadcasting Company (ABC)
*Walt Disney bought the rights of Marvel Productions and Saban Entertainment
Directors - 2 directors
Writers - 2 writers
Voice Actors - 8 voice actors
Music Writers - 2 Music Writers
Mister T The Complete Second Season 1983 – 1984
Production Company - Ruby-Spears Productions National Broadcasting Company (NBC)
Producers – 4 producers
Distribution - Warner Home Video (2011) (USA) (DVD) (complete first season) Worldvision Home Video (UK) (VHS) Company National Broadcasting Company (NBC)
*Warner Brothers bought the rights of Hanna Barbera and Ruby Spears
Director – 1 director
Writers – 14 writers
Voice Actors – 23 voice actors
Music Writers – 5 music writers
Popeye and Son from 1987 – 1988
Production Company - Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS) Hanna-Barbera Productions
Producers – 4 producers
Distribution Company - Columbia Broadcasting System (CBS)
*Warner Brothers bought the rights of Hanna Barbera
Directors – 3 directors
Writers – 14 writers
Voice Actors – 11 voice actors
Music Writer – 1 music writer
The Puppy’s Great Adventures re-runs of the 2 Series The Puppy’s New Adventures, and The Puppy’s Further Adventures from 1982 – 1984
Production Company - Ruby-Spears / Productions / ABC
Producers - 4 producers
Distribution - Company American Broadcasting Company (ABC)
*Warner Brothers bought the rights of Hanna Barbera and Ruby Spears
Directors – 3 directors
Writers – 11 writers
Voice Actors – 15 voice actors
Music Writers – 3 music writers

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:25 pm    Post subject: Factual Material Reply with quote

Hi MacGyver,

Here is the factual material of the 14 unreleased cartoon series.

ABC Weekend Specials
This was a weekly 30-minute anthology TV series for children that aired Saturday mornings on ABC from 1977 to 1996. It featured a wide variety of stories that were both live-action and animated.
First episode date: September 10, 1977
Final episode date: August 30, 1996
Network: American Broadcasting Company
Seasons: 17
Number of episodes: 133
CB Bears, Blast Off Buzzard, and Posse Impossible
This was an American 60-minute animated comedy television series produced by Hanna-Barbera which aired on NBC from September 10, 1977 to December 3, 1978.
First episode date: September 10, 1977
Final episode date: December 3, 1978
Network: NBC
Number of episodes: 13 each
Program creators: Joseph Barbera, William Hanna
CBS Storybreak
This was a Saturday morning anthology television series that originally aired on the CBS network during the 1985 season.
First episode date: March 30, 1985
Final episode date: January 3, 1987
Network: CBS
Language: English
Cast: Bob Keeshan, Malcolm-Jamal Warner
Presented by: Bob Keeshan, Malcolm-Jamal Warner
Number of episodes: 26
Heyyy, It’s the King, Shake, Rattle, and Roll and Undercover Elephant
US First Aired: Sep 10, 1977
US Last Aired: Dec 3, 1978
Seasons: 1
Number of episodes: 13 each
Animation Studio: Hanna-Barbera
This was one of the six segments of the CB Bears animated anthology series. It was an all-animal cartoon, reminiscent of the live-action sitcom Happy Days.
When CB Bears was repackaged for syndication, Heyyy, It's the King! was supported by Shake, Rattle and Roll and Undercover Elephant.
Characters Voices
The King (voiced by Lennie Weinrib): Modelled loosely on "The Fonz," a hyped-up lion who leads the motley little crew.
Big H (voiced by Sheldon Allman): The original Hungry Hungry Hippo, as can be a big pain-in-the-butt thanks to his food fetish.
Clyde (voiced by Don Messick): The dopey gorilla with athletic pretensions as big as his ego.
Yuka-Yuka (voiced by Lennie Weinrib): A porkpie-hat-wearing hyena with practical-joker tendencies.
Skids (voiced by Marvin Kaplan): The jalopy-driving crocodile with a necktie and a bucket on his head.
Sheena (voiced by Ginny McSwain) and Zelda (voiced by Susan Silo): The crew's cheerleaders, a puma and ostrich, respectively. Can be counted on to provide motivation in extremis.
Little Wizards
This was an American animated series, created by Len Janson and Chuck Menville and produced by Marvel Productions, that ran from 1987 to 1988.
First episode date: September 26, 1987
Final episode date: 1988
Number of seasons: 1
Number of episodes: 13
Network: ABC
Production companies: Marvel Productions
Created by: Len Janson, Chuck Menville
Mister T - the Complete Second Season
This was about a gymnastics team that solves mysteries around the world.
First episode date: September 17, 1983
Final episode date: December 29, 1984
Number of seasons: 2
Number of episodes: 17
Network: NBC
Directors: Rudy Larriva
Popeye and Son
This was an animated television series produced by Hanna-Barbera Productions and King Features Entertainment, and aired for one season and thirteen episodes on CBS.
First episode date: September 12, 1987
Final episode date: December 5, 1988
Number of episodes: 13 26 Segments
Network: CBS
The Puppy’s Great Adventures, The Puppy’s New Adventures, and The Puppy's Further Adventures
This was a 30-minute Saturday morning animated series produced by Ruby-Spears Enterprises and broadcast on ABC from September 25, 1982 to November 10, 1984.
First episode date: September 25, 1982
Middle episode date: September 10, 1983
Final episode date: November 10, 1984
Number of seasons: 3
Number of episodes: 22
Network: ABC/CBS
Executive producers: Joe Ruby, Ken Spears

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm- a good bit of information there. I think you've got most of the airing and credits information on your wish list cartoons covered pretty well here now.
Maybe there will one day be some solid information on DVD releases to post as well.....you never know.

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:28 pm    Post subject: Factual Material About Unreleased Series Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Here on are facts about unreleased series from the 70's and 80's.
There is a lot of material on the subject, but I wanted to write a summary of the facts to be used as a reminder of what those series were about.
Each of us surely, has his/hers own preferences. I, for example, like the 14 unreleased cartoon series that I posted several times, and I would like to hear from you what yours are.

I'd appreciate it if you can post in this forum any news of this subject. Smile Wink

ABC Weekend Specials Facts
It’s a fact that for the first time ABC developed a series called ABC Weekend Specials that introduced kids to literature through live-action and animated telling of popular children's stories. Also, for the first time there was a narrator that described each episode to the children from the begging throughout the segment. Originally a monthly special, the show moved to a weekly run in the fall of 1977, and has appeared off until 1996.
Culling from its own ABC Short Story Special and ABC Afterschool Special programs, the anthology show added new material from Hanna-Barbera, Ruby-Spears, Marvel, DIC, Film Roman, and more.
Michael Young served as the original host, and was replaced after two seasons by Willie Tyler and his puppet, Lester until 1984, followed by Cap'n O.G. Readmore, an animated cat in a navy uniform.

CB Bears, Blast Off Buzzard, Posse Impossible, Heyyy, It’s the King, Shake, Rattle, and Roll, and Undercover Elephant Facts
The C.B. Bears featured a various different segments in a one hour program. The characters fought crime from a dilapidated garbage truck that had many technical tricks. Hustle was the leader. Bump was the not so clever, with a garbage can lid for a hat. The third character was Boogie. Their orders were dispatched over the C.B. in their truck by an unseen female named Charlie. Among the other segments there was “Undercover Elephant,” who solved crimes with his partner Loud Mouse; “Shake, Rattle, and Roll,” which had three ghosts running a ***** against the wishes of its operator, Sidney Merciless; “Hey, It’s the King,” which had a city cat meet up with Big H the hippo, Clyde the ape, Skids the alligator, Yukayuka the hyena, Zelda the ostrich, and Sheena the lioness; “Blast Off Buzzard and Crazy Legs,” a series were the characters didn’t talk consisted of a desert chase with a bird pursuing a snake; “Posse Impossible,” was about four bumbling cowboys, Sheriff Big Duke, a fat guy who cried a lot named Blubber, and Stick the Hillbill who defended justice in the old west town of Saddlesore.

CBS Storybreak Facts
Bob Keeshan, as Captain Kangaroo, was its first narrator. Each week he presented animated versions of children's books, telling the audience about other books similar to the story they had just seen. The books were recommended by the Library of Congress. The first series of cartoons was produced by Hanna-Barbera Production. It included among others, How To Eat Fried Worms. Many children books were adapted to cartoon versions during the extended run, while new and older episodes were aired for several seasons. Later, Bob Keeshan was replaced by Malcolm-Jamal Warner. The show went off the air for a year, and then returned in 1987. Then it continued on and off until 1995 when it was taken of the TV program for children.

Little Wizards Facts
There’s hamlet, Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather. When evil uncle Renwick takesover the throne of the deceased king, Prince Dexter enlisted the help of three pint-sized mages to reclaim his rightful crown. The Little Wizards, Gump, Winkle, and Boo, worked their magic in a series of fantastic adventures. The show lasted only one season.

Mister T The Complete Second Season Facts
Mr. T was big, tough, with a Mohawk haircut, decked out in old chains and earrings, entered the ring as the unstoppable Clubber Lang in Rocky III.
Mr. T runs a gym where a rainbow coalition of young gymnasts came to practice: Kim, Woody, Jeff, Sky, Vinnie, Courtney, Garcia, Robin, and Robin’s little brother Spike. Together with Miss Bisby and T’s bulldog, the group spent their off hours finding trouble and fixing it. Mr. T provided the voice of his own character and appeared in the opening and closing segments.
The show lasted two seasons (thirty episodes).

Popeye and Son Facts
Olive Oyl became Mrs. Popeye in this 80's version of the Popeye classic cartoon. Popeye and Olive had gotten married, bought a house, and raised a young son named Popeye Jr. in the series Popeye and Son. Popeye Jr. was a nine year-old version of his pop, except for one crucial difference. Little Popeye did not care for spinach. He had his own nemesis in the form of Bluto's son, Tank. Bluto had managed to marry a girl named Lizzie. Popeye Jr. and Tank were often at odds, but instead of getting their aggressions out with an anvil the elder Popeye would intervene and teach his son how to solve his problems without fighting.

The Puppy’s Great Adventures re-runs of the two series The Puppy’s New Adventures, and The Puppy’s Further Adventures Facts
On May 6, 1978, ABC Weekend Specials aired a version of The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy, based on a children book by Catherine Woolley about a young dog who attached himself to a lonely orphan boy named Tommy. Over the next four years, The Puppy and its three sequels, which used various actors’ voices for Petey the puppy, were repeatedly shown on the Weekend Special. Petey and his other canine buddies Dolly, Duke, Dash and Lucky looked for Tommy's lost family each week. The series came to an end in 1984. Two years later, the cute canines were brought back for reruns on CBS.

SharpFork
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

certain series are not released because they will not make the studio/owner anymore money so its a waste of resource and cash for them. Some episodes are actually lost for good due to poor storage, tape wiping, fire, water damage, etc. -studio finds said series irrelevant in this day and age (CB Bears is a good example of that), certain rights holders do not want to license for any various reason or they legitimately can not be found (sectaurs mini series), certsin celebrities do not want to release their likeness (mr.T)

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: A new point of view for me Reply with quote

Like many others before me, I realize that a major reason why so many unreleased series from the 70's and the 80's, like ABC Weekend Specials, are so difficult to find or to be repacked on DVD. It is because each aired episode was independently produced, and later purchased, by ABC, NBC , CBS, Marvel Productions and Saban Entertainment and others and it is very difficult to reach agreements with each copyright owner separately.

Especially that the whole process is costly and time consuming, not to mention the fact that for example, Walt Disney (the owner of ABC Weekend Specials since 1996), wouldn’t know if a DVD version will be profitable. Also, the quality of some of the series is so low that it would not attract new consumers.

Nevertheless people like me that watched the original series when they aired are not willing to give up yet.

Last edited by Chenchukon on Wed May 11, 2016 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
certain series are not released because they will not make the studio/owner anymore money so its a waste of resource and cash for them. Some episodes are actually lost for good due to poor storage, tape wiping, fire, water damage, etc. -studio finds said series irrelevant in this day and age (CB Bears is a good example of that), certain rights holders do not want to license for any various reason or they legitimately can not be found (sectaurs mini series), certsin celebrities do not want to release their likeness (mr.T)

Good summary there, sharpfork. This should be in a FAQ about TV series not on DVD yet- that covers most of the main reasons.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Watch these episodes from ABC Weekend Specials Reply with quote

If you like ABC Weekend Specials, I found 2 links where you can watch episodes:
The Magic Flute - http://freecartoon.org/watch/abc-weekend-specials-episode-magic-flute/

Bunnicula The Vampire Rabbit 1982 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-qIuMFztE0&index=21&list=PL2E0CC7FE01A992F4

Enjoy.

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I didn't know there was another feature starring Bunnicula. I JUST started watching the new show Very Happy

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceDragon wrote:
Oh man, I didn't know there was another feature starring Bunnicula. I JUST started watching the new show Very Happy
I, actually, remember reading the story about Bunnicula. I remember he mainly attacked vegetables.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep- Bunnicula is a classic children's book series and it's received a couple of adaptations over the years. I haven't read this one or seen the show, but I've definitely heard of it- even though it came a bit later, it makes me think of Count Duckula- similar concept.

MQuack
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emailed Disney again about Kidd Video....same as usual response...

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding Kidd Video. We appreciate your interest in Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment.

Kidd Video has not been released on Blu-ray or DVD. Although we do not have a tentative release date set, we would be happy to share with the rest of our team that you would like to have this available for purchase! Your feedback helps us build a better experience for all of our guests and is truly appreciated!

For information on upcoming movies, please visit http://movies.disney.com/.

If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to reply to this email. You may also contact us at 1-800-723-4763 (US)/1-888-877-2843 (Canada) Monday through Friday 9:30-6:30 CST.

https://www.youtube.com/user/quack34
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update. At least the emails show Disney that there is some interest in Kidd Video- I'd love to see some kind of DVD release for this series, although the music rights will make it very hard to pull together, I'm sure. There actually were a few VHS tapes released some years ago (that are edited in regards to the music, from what I understand)- but those are quite hard and expensive to come by.....
You may have seen this before, but at least there is all the awesomeness of this Kidd Video fan site to enjoy. Very Happy Cool

MQuack
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you answer or do you have any idea how the music rights issue works? They cleared had the right to use it when it aired, so why can't it just continue on to home release? This is a terrible thing that leads to so many shows being left in neutral for getting any kind of home release and it's very sad. Sad

https://www.youtube.com/user/quack34
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know enough to comment on it all, but I found this article that offers some insight into this issue.
I do know one thing that should be kept in mind though- when TV shows were being made in the 1940s, 1950s, 1960s, 1970s and even 1980s and 1990s, really- I don't think anyone was really thinking with possible home video releases in mind. (To be fair, there were various VHS releases of TV show episodes too throughout the '80s and '90s and 2000s....but very few that actually got the complete series released to VHS. I can name only a handful of TV series that actually accomplished this feat- The Babysitters Club and the first 5 Star Trek series (Star Trek: The Original Series, Star Trek: The Animated Series, Star Trek: The Next Generation, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager).)
Now that this is more of a realistic possibility with the advent of DVD and Blu-Ray, etc. - I think companies are thinking more along those lines and making plans for music rights and such upfront. It's a lot harder to go back and negotiate for rights later.
Music rights are not necessarily the only thing that holds up DVD releases, but they are definitely a big one.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Digging Reply with quote

Hi MacGyver,

More info about ABC Weekend Specials that I’m posting, after rechecking some info and making sure that the details are accurate.

First, 20th Century Fox bought the rights to distribute the ABC Weekend Specials Series from Anchor Bay Entertainment.

Also, some episodes were released in the old VHS format, for example, The Velveteen Rabbit. Occasionally, during the Weekend Specials timeslot, ABC aired a series of other specials under the title ABC Saturday Morning Specials; two ABC's Wide World of Sports for Kids Specials were produced in 1994. I posted the list previously.

For sure, ABC Weekend Specials survived by being politically correct and pro-educational while competing against similar programs like CBS’s CBS Storybreak that was based on children’s literature.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: ABC Weekend Specials Status Reply with quote

This is the present situation; none of the 17 seasons of the Short Story Specials (which is the alternative name of this series), and the 12 additional specials were ever released to the public.

Then, they survived by airing episodes that had educational content. But, to my sorrow, since none was ever released until now, it could be that it will never happen.

In any case, if one day some solid information about possible releases indeed becomes available, I’m sure that we will quickly post it.
Very Happy Smile

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried looking for those in torrents, cartoon sites and the like? It might not be like actually owning the real thing, but they can't possibly be lost if they were that popular.

Chenchukon
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 5:13 pm    Post subject: The Secret World of OG Reply with quote

Everyone interested in the ABC Weekend Specials series will be happy to know that an episode called The Secret World of OG has been posted on youtube and is still available on the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwozAXixpko

I suggest that whoever likes this series should download this episode before it is taken down like it happen before.

Enjoy. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Other Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: