80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Yet another Giant Robot Mystery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xenogears
Radical

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Yet another Giant Robot Mystery Reply with quote

Ok lets start with the primer I had a VHS as a child it was one of my favorite cartoons and when we were moving I asked my mom to place it in a safe place so we don't lose it. Sure enough when we got to our home it was nowhere to be found and the lady that moved into our old place promised to look for it but no dice.

The opener was a red converse like sneaker being laced and tied when you first started the tape.

The actual cartoon itself, I believe, it was a movie but I was too young. I remember it was very serious and I believe it was a japanese one though who knows at this point.

Anyway the beginning I believe was a montage of them choosing the candidates to pilot these machines and I remember the when these vehicles first launched one of the drivers had trouble and skimmed the water and had to be warned or yelled at to pull up in time.

I couldn't tell you what the robot looked like when the vehicles combined.

What I CAN tell you for SURE was that at the end of the cartoon the enemy had kidnapped the father of one of the protagonists and held him in a bubble like structure outside in space as a hostage. The father told his child to fight on and forget about him. In the process of the fight the father died but the team was victorious.

Another possible detail was the finisher. The giant Robot cut a burning V or X into the enemy creature. Its not Voltron or Vehicle Voltron atleast not any version I've seen. I seem to remember the cut was deep slow and meaningful and always burned with energy until the enemy died.

The only part I'm sure of was the scene with the father at the end and the part where the guy had to pull up so as not to crash into the water I believe that guy was flying the ship that would turn into the legs of the robot.

Someone save me I've been harboring these fragments for damn near 22 years.

Straydog
Cartoon Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many giant robot animes have similiar elements
but
Maybe,...

Voltes V

Hi-Tops Logo-
Voltes V trailer-
at Youtubecom

---

Last edited by Straydog on Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:03 am; edited 4 times in total
xenogears
Radical

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG you did it! That was God damn Epic! Thank you soooo much! This I don't even know what to say I'd buy you a beer right now if I could.

SharpFork
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltes V is one of the greatest giant robot anime ever created. What you saw was a half-assed cut an paste film of the first few episodes smooshed together. The complete uncut series was dubbed into English and broadcast in the Philippines (I have the complete series in English if anyone is interested)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Lost and Found All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: