80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Final thoughts about Futurama?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:15 am    Post subject: Final thoughts about Futurama? Reply with quote

(I know this happened a long time ago, but I recently re-watched some of the episodes and... oh, thank God for this section of the forum Razz)

I have always considered Futurama as being the «adult» version of The Simpsons. I mean, sure, Fry is an idiot, and Bender could be qualified as a cheap knock off to Homer Simpson, but what made them seem more real before my eyes was the fact that they often had to face some -somehow real- situations. I mean, you don´t see any character on Springfield struggling to keep their jobs (at least not on the daily basis), or fight to know who they are, or even face the new day in the same way the "people" on Futurama does.

But I think that what impressed me the most as a viewer were those times when they pulled out things like «The Luck of the Fryrish» and «Jurassic Bark». I cannot (and I repeat I CANNOT) get to the end of that last one without cry like a baby... and, in fact, nobody I have ever met can. But I think that as brillant as those episode are, they mark better than anything the weak spot of Futurama: although they made several masterpieces, many of the regular episodes were just not as good. Many of them felt like they were there just because they needed to be, rather than because they should.

When the show got cancelled, I was not actually surprised, but sad.

But then it made its bright comeback, and I knew just by looked at it that this time it was going to be all good. And all I needed was a single glance to know that I was right all along. I was reluctant at first, but episodes like 31th Century Fox, In-A-Gadda-Da-Leela, and The Tip of the Zoidberg shown better than anything that this show had returned to the peak of its quality.

For that reason, when I heard that it was cancelled again, that time I couldn't believe it. But deep inside I knew that if they had to let it go, they might as well do it Futurama style. And holy shirt they did it.

I missed the closing special with all the cast, but I watched the final episode sometime after its release, and it was everything I was expecting it to be. I´m not going to spoil anything, but that last episode combined everything you loved about the show in one single master shot: the action, the jokes, the touching moments, and the explosive finale, it was all there. And, while watching it, I was reminded of everything that cartoon had delivered over the years. It was quite a ride.

That last episode went so far away that rather than being touching, its actually haunting... and when the final credits appear on screen for the last time ever, you cannot do anything but think: "This was really good", but not only the episode you just watched, but the entire series.

The first ten seasons of The Simpsons were all great (and arguably, one of the best things that ever happened to TV), but that show has long lost what it made it so special. Futurama in the other hand, stopped right when it should (even when I personally wanted it to be around for many more years), and for that reason, I think its gonna remain always fresh. Many people is going to appreciate it in the future for its current charm, the same way we do now. And for a cartoon like Futurama, I cannot think of a better ending.

(I´m still editing this post looking for typos and the like. Thanks for your patience, and sorry for your eyes).

Last edited by IceDragon on Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:05 pm; edited 9 times in total
Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news, everyone, I agree with IceDragon! Laughing

They really had a great premise for a show. They could go anywhere, and do anything, all without any hokey plot devices. 1000 years who knows what will be common. Deliveries to the Moon? Seems reasonable enough for a rocket delivery ship. Morbo the world destroyer as a news host? Lots better than the people today who destroy the news to conquer ratings.

90% of the time I thought they did really fun things and really pushed some interesting thoughtful dialog (heavily interspersed with ale drinking, fire belching, and general shenanigans.) The rest seemed to go for picking up buzz words and trends of today and that felt a little like the New Simpsons at times. Or getting overly preachy, Hollywood views on things that they believe everyone should believe in. Bleech!

Cross fingers an outfit like NetFlix picks them up again, and doesn't interfere with the process. It would be nice if the only agenda the staff had to stick to was there own, with no outside network and their sponsors, and etc.

Very nice and thoughtful write up ID!

Brought to you by...

And Slurm!

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
Good news, everyone, I agree with IceDragon! Laughing

They really had a great premise for a show. They could go anywhere, and do anything, all without any hokey plot devices. 1000 years who knows what will be common. Deliveries to the Moon? Seems reasonable enough for a rocket delivery ship. Morbo the world destroyer as a news host? Lots better than the people today who destroy the news to conquer ratings.

90% of the time I thought they did really fun things and really pushed some interesting thoughtful dialog (heavily interspersed with ale drinking, fire belching, and general shenanigans.) The rest seemed to go for picking up buzz words and trends of today and that felt a little like the New Simpsons at times. Or getting overly preachy, Hollywood views on things that they believe everyone should believe in. Bleech!

Cross fingers an outfit like NetFlix picks them up again, and doesn't interfere with the process. It would be nice if the only agenda the staff had to stick to was there own, with no outside network and their sponsors, and etc.

Very nice and thoughtful write up ID!

Brought to you by...

And Slurm!

Thanks for all your kind words, the valuable info, and the comment. I appreciate it, my friend.

But you know? As a loyal fan of that cartoon, I don´t think I want Futurama to be revived once more. I feel like if they actually do that, very soon they would take it away from us again, and after episodes like Stench and Stenchibility, and Meanwhile that would feel like dancing on its grave.

They put so much effort into making the last couple of episodes something memorable, that it just wouldn't be fair. Who can forget about quotes like these:

Quote:
Bender, what happened?

I was beaten up by a little girl!

Or the last thing we heard from that show, after the episode was done, at the closing party:

Quote:
Farewell, from the world of tomorrow!

I agree with the smart humor, many of their jokes were based on future mathematical events -like the Museum fee being free on thuesday, when that would be exactly the day of Fry´s reanimation from the time he got frozen-. I bet that many people didn´t get those while watching the show -I certainly didn´t-. But I also have to agree that many other jokes were awfully uninspired, and frankly bad.

But then again, WHO can possibly forget about this:

Man, I can´t believe I was a step away from High School when it all started, and had my college degree by the time Meanwhile was released.

I'm gonna miss Futurama quite a lot, but with so many good memories attached to it, I think it does not make for a sad parting.

BTW: Don´t drink that, it is made from the back of a giant monster Razz

Last edited by IceDragon on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:53 am; edited 1 time in total
MQuack
Gnarly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This show has always been one of my favorites, and sadly I didn't even see the last couple seasons....I need to get back on the horse and finish them.

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MQuack wrote:
This show has always been one of my favorites, and sadly I didn't even see the last couple seasons....I need to get back on the horse and finish them.

There is a season that consist in nothing but all the movies splited up into several half-hour episodes each, so you can skip that one. But the rest are mostly gold, I hope you can watch them all Smile

And thanks for your comment too Smile

MQuack
Gnarly

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did watch the movies...and they were a little letdown...and I got through maybe, half of the 6th season maybe?

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MQuack wrote:
I did watch the movies...and they were a little letdown...and I got through maybe, half of the 6th season maybe?

I had a rough go early into the new season when everything seemed so dated to fads from contemporary time. Thankfully I kept watching and it got leaps and bounds better and finished in a way that I wish a lot of shows were able to. Upbeat and the door to future possibilities cracked open, but still getting a satisfying ending.

IceDragon is probably right, finishing on a high note and providing some closure is more than most series get when they're cancelled, and they did it wonderfully well.

Now requisition me a beat, while I eat my Manwich!

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a hilarious must watch for any fan of Futurama: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2yTCoqIHzM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Other Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: