80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Steam anyone?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Steam anyone? Reply with quote

For those who dont know, Steam itīs kind of a social network for video games (though I wouldn't call it that way). The system is runned by ValVE Software, and It basically lets you buy games and software in the digital format (they also give things away a lot, like in the christmas season).

What itīs cool about their system is that once you got your game/software, you can keep it forever (and thereīs plenty of ways to assure that itīs gonna be that way). Plus, some purchases come along with other games entirely free, downloadable content, and so on. The last thing that is worth mentioning is that you can have Steam for any SO available out there, plus some consoles... and you can unlock content while playing (those are called ŦAchievementsŧ). Of course you can still use the Ŧsocial networkŧ features that I mentioned at the beginning of the post, like chatting with your friends, sharing pictures and videos of the games you own... those are the GOOD things that the system has to offer. But there are some that aren't just as great -though some bits of this info might be outdated at the moment I'm writing this, but were true when I became a member two years ago-.

Basically, register and enter on the Steam Network itīs an entirely free process that only takes a few moments to complete, but without any game or proprietary at your name, your account itīs basically worthless (meaning that you canīt add any friends -though they can still add you-. Nor, obviously, play video games). Plus, once you have already downloaded the client (I think itīs only weights a few MBs) you have already a 400 MB update right off the bat. A pretty meaningless size for nowadays, but still something I did not feel like doing.

So, those are both the good and bad things of the system as I can regard them. But, does the system worth the trouble? absolutely! I mean, it surely has itīs flaws, and thereīs other services -like GOG- that offer you just as much features as this one does, but, for now at least, itīs the better option.

Those are the most basic aspects of the system, and I believe that once you are already there, everything itīs rather intuitive and moves smoothly. Though, there are some other things to be covered, and questions to be answered, so go ahead and ask Smile

Oh yeah, one last thing: if you somehow have an Steam Key (an alphanumeric code that comes as a gift in some websites) in your possession, they usually last forever, but I would redeem it immediately if I were you (they count as a purchase and become you a full member).

@West: Hope this helps.

English Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_%28software%29

Last edited by IceDragon on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great! I am on reddit quite a bit, and on /r/gaming and /r/pcmasterrace they get pretty excited about Steam and the sales they have. I just have been skeptical for too long about not owning a physical copy of a game, but need to get over it.

I buy lots of PC components, especially video cards, and usually get two or three game codes per purchase for different games and up until now have just let them collect and expire. But if what you say may be true, I could still activate them that might be cool. Also, I love Elder Scrolls and have the anthology edition, but have not activated Skyrim because of my lack of knowledge about Steam.

When I eventually bite the bullet I will let you know and link to you. Thanks for starting this thread, I am sure I will be back to ask more questions as I get started!

Edit: Is there a referral credit if I use your name when I sign up? I would like to do that if there is, is the Steam info on your profile current? Thanks again Very Happy

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
This is great! I am on reddit quite a bit, and on /r/gaming and /r/pcmasterrace they get pretty excited about Steam and the sales they have. I just have been skeptical for too long about not owning a physical copy of a game, but need to get over it.

I buy lots of PC components, especially video cards, and usually get two or three game codes per purchase for different games and up until now have just let them collect and expire. But if what you say may be true, I could still activate them that might be cool. Also, I love Elder Scrolls and have the anthology edition, but have not activated Skyrim because of my lack of knowledge about Steam.

When I eventually bite the bullet I will let you know and link to you. Thanks for starting this thread, I am sure I will be back to ask more questions as I get started!

Edit: Is there a referral credit if I use your name when I sign up? I would like to do that if there is, is the Steam info on your profile current? Thanks again Very Happy

Im really glad you found this useful! and I'm especially love that it actually resembles english (I almost fell asleep a few times Razz!!).

I dont think there is any referrals, but then again, I haven't been in the "register" page for more than two years now, so eventually they could have added that feature.

And yes, thatīs my profile. Come back as many times as you need for more advice Smile!

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who already own a Steam Account.... PC Gamer (and a handfull of other sites) are giving out free games. I have already grabbed a few.

Just thought some of you may find this useful: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/02/free-steam-key/

Last edited by IceDragon on Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty cool! Sadly I don't have a facebook account to get this neat deal.

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
That's pretty cool! Sadly I don't have a facebook account to get this neat deal.

Well, it doesn't utilize Facebook in any unique way, so any friend of yours could give the "like", and you can still get the key.

Iīd say itīs pretty safe Wink

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Free key: http://www.pcgamer.com/uk/2014/07/09/free-steam-key/

Enjoy my friends Smile!

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! Thanks for the link, amigo. Smile Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more, guys: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/16/free-steam-key/ (though, nothing special this time).

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last key we will see in a while, enjoy!: http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/07/23/free-steam-key/

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This last one may be the best of the bunch, thanks for sharing these. I have a pretty lengthy download queue now. Laughing

riven3d
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bought a Brand new game last week put in the disc from the box and find out I had to install Steam and then to find out I have to wait for it to be downloaded... why on earth did I buy the game from the store and have the disc for it if I cant even install the game without the internet.

3 days later I finally managed to get the game to download and install kept getting server busy at this time message try again at another time..

what a pain in the ....

i do like the idea that I dont need the disc for games and can install it anywhere but its a pain when their server is "busy" and you want to play at that time not days later

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riven3d wrote:
bought a Brand new game last week put in the disc from the box and find out I had to install Steam and then to find out I have to wait for it to be downloaded... why on earth did I buy the game from the store and have the disc for it if I cant even install the game without the internet.

3 days later I finally managed to get the game to download and install kept getting server busy at this time message try again at another time..

what a pain in the ....

i do like the idea that I dont need the disc for games and can install it anywhere but its a pain when their server is "busy" and you want to play at that time not days later

A friend of mine had the same exact problem when he bought one of those EAīs shooting games (cannot recall exactly which, though). I donīt know exactly what triggers the error, but I heard that itīs because you have to register the game thru one of their servers to check itīs legal before you can even play it. It sucks, really.

But in the other hand... I assure you that of the 24 games I own to date, none of them made me do any extra effort (even Valve games). The problem is... your game is just too popular (as crazy as it sounds, my friend).

But I'm with you! you shouldn't have to do any of this.

EDIT: Oh, and BTW... if you are on Steam, feel free to join the club (a couple of us are there, and have each other added as friends).

Last edited by IceDragon on Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
riven3d
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it me or every time I boot my computer, its not daily I do it but every once in awhile I do restart my computer.

but every time Steam has to check for updates and whatever thats annoying.

i usually dont mind it but it should not have to do this check daily or whatever.

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riven3d wrote:
is it me or every time I boot my computer, its not daily I do it but every once in awhile I do restart my computer.

i usually dont mind it but it should not have to do this check daily or whatever.

Mmm, have you activated anything else? (extra content or whatever). I remember Steam forcing me to do that the first couple of times, but not recently -well, except when I install a game-.

Oh, also! if you have Ccleaner installed (or it's unofficial enhancer complement), uncheck the Steam box before cleaning up your sistem, it swallows something it needs, and it's so unbelievable annoying! That may be causing your problem, actually.

Hope it helps!

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riven3d wrote:

If what you do most on your computer is not game related, remove or disable Steam from starting every time you boot up or restart. Also you can set how often it will check for updates and install them. Much like Windows update you can set certain parameters of if/when/what.

If you do play often, it tends to be newer games that get updated more frequently as bugs and patches come up. After some time though it should run much smoother. Really though, just give me a cartridge anyday! Very Happy

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
Really though, just give me a cartridge anyday! Very Happy

Just came back from playing some Lethal Enforcers 2 so... I couldnt agree more.

SEGA Genesis FTW!

Invaders
Radical

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam sales are awesome around the holidays. You can get some great games for under $5 many times.

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Invaders wrote:
Steam sales are awesome around the holidays. You can get some great games for under $5 many times.

Yeah, thank you for pointing that out, I seem to have forgotten about it. Also, they giveaway very expensive games during christmas (at least the one christmas I spent as a Steam member, I mean). I got Left 4 Dead 2 for that date (one of the unaffordable ones for me).

I know that the mandatory evil-company-scheme should be somewhere in there, but I canīt find it Razz

Also with many of us being already there, It would be wise to start sharing our IDs. Iīm Zorra de Plata (Umbreon avatar for in case Iīm not the only person with the same nickname -so unlikely, but you never know-)

Fernin
Gnarly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Steam ID is the same, just Fernin, with the same avatar. Steam has been a godsend for me, the sales let you pick up games at as much as 90% off, if you're patient enough. Extremely few games in my Steam list were purchased at full price. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » General Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: