80sCartoons.net Forum Index

When Copyright goes too far?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: When Copyright goes too far? Reply with quote

First of all: I want to let perfectly clear that I totally support companies that defend the rights of their products... but I also have to say that the only reason that Im writing this topic itīs because I donīt really get the idea here... and Iīm gonna tell you why.

Ok, there was that show that I used to watch during my childhood (well, I was more like a teenager at the time xD) called: The Adventures of Brandy and Mr Whiskers, which was a nice, colorfull, little show that only lasted for two seasons and seemed to be fairly unpopular amongst most viewers -I DID like it, and still felt over bored from time to time- with most comments just bashing the cartoon on sites like IMDB. So, It ceased transmition on late 2006, and it was never refered to again... that until many many years later, when I got internet, and curious about it once again... only to find out that there was hardly any info about it (no joking, there isnt even fan art -and, if there is, it is NOT the kind that you would show to your kids-).

Most recently, I found out that some people were uploading the series to YT... with Disney blockling every single episode. That would be a normal move for them, and the sensible thing to do, but I CAN find (still to this day) others series of them like Dave the Barbarian and even Fish Hooks (which is relatively new on comparison). After all that, I also found that the show wasnt even featured on ANY of the watch cartoon sites that I know, and even the four torrents I was able to locate during that time were all seedless. I know the show wasnt the most popular of the Disney Chart, but thatīs just seemed ridiculous to me... are they THAT protective over a show that only lasted for two seasons and ended up like a decade ago? I just dont get it... and besides, I was only able to find a single DVD release (that I hardly believe itīs even legit) that claims to have only 30 episodes... and I never could I find it for sale... which only means that I canīt even get it legally (and I'm eager to do that, I would totally buy it!).

I know this cartoon must have been a collossal failure for Disney (and a very expensive one, with stars like Kaley Couco and Charly Adler in the main roles and an impressive general looking that holds up to this day) but isnt just that the kind of thing that you would use into your own advantage? I mean, let the people know about this, and THEN sell a DVD... I would love to show this to my cousin, and revive better days, but itīs seems impossible for now. And I just realized that the lack of audience and interest itīs the same reason what they are not releasing Kissyfur either.

(Ok, it seems real).

The only thing I can imagine, is that they hold some kind of legal fight with the showīs creator, and therefore they are unable to let the show be distributed. I dont know, but interesting enough, the mentioned creator, hasnt worked in any other series after this.

Woah, what a rant... I promise not to do it again, but in the meantime... what do you think about this?.

Thanks for reading Razz

EDIT: Well, even the wikis of this show stinks... they all lack material, and also have next to no pictures. Strangely, even the actual Disney's wiki overlooked this...

Also, that DVD posted above itīs complete but not official, as I suspected.

Last edited by IceDragon on Fri May 09, 2014 4:14 pm; edited 4 times in total
Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose there could be many reasons why no official release. I know nothing about this show so can only speculate. There are a few examples of wanting to bury particularly embarrassing works, especially when looked at with current politically correct glasses. One of the best known cases is Disney's Song of the South. Disney is especially sensitive to things it has done in the past that may not hold up to current sensibilities. Though, in today's globalized society it becomes supremely difficult for companies to control this.

Another possibility is the use of music or use of cut scenes. It is a murky land of IP patent law and distribution rights that have curtailed if not destroyed the hopes of many broadcast television series making it to home media. Muppet Babies is a good example. It relied heavily on cut scenes that may not have been in the public domain, but were available for fair use when initially broadcast. Same with many musical elements.

Like I said, I have never seen this particular show, so can only speak what is common for other shows that are unable to be released. Studios more than likely now have some sort of home media or even broader distribution language in current contracts, which helps us for the foreseeable future, but not so much for past items. Time will tell maybe, as companies merge or buy each other out these rights may end up all at the same place in the end. Confused

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Muppet Babies is a good example. It relied heavily on cut scenes that may not have been in the public domain, but were available for fair use when initially broadcast. Same with many musical elements.

I'd love to see Muppet Babies available on DVD in its entirety! I love that cartoon series! (Of course, as a Muppets fan, I'm a big fan of most all Henson products. Very Happy Cool )
But yeah- it does have a ton of issues regarding rights for various video clips. The only places that are less of an issue is the fact that the show used a number of public domain clips and those should not be a problem to release. And in the case of the Marvel and LucasFilm clips it used, well- they, along with The Muppets, are all owned by Disney now- so those clips shouldn't be a problem.
It's just wading through all the other ones.........

Anyway, seeing as how Disney has yet to finish much more popular Disney cartoon series on DVD (no offense to fans of Brandy & Mr. Whiskers- while I actually have heard of it- no, I haven't seen it- and I agree that it's probably not very popular)- I have my doubts this will get an official DVD release any time soon.
I mean- DuckTales, Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck and The Adventures of the Gummi Bears still have not had the rest of their series released to DVD. At least Talespin finally got completed on DVD with a Disney Movie Club exclusive DVD release of the last 11 episodes. And Goof Troop has had 2 volume releases on DVD from the Disney Movie Club as well- but it's incomplete on DVD too.
But as far as I've noticed, no matter what property it is or how old or unpopular it is- Disney is definitely very protective of its shows. (Just like I would expect any company to be- but Disney seems to be even more so.)
I suppose you've already looked through this- http://brandyandmrwhiskers.wikia.com/wiki/Brandy_and_Mr._Whiskers_Wiki
and this though-
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Brandy_and_Mr._Whiskers_characters

You may enjoy some of these drawings on DeviantArt then.
http://brandy-harrington.deviantart.com/gallery/34262573

Here's a look at human versions of some of the characters- http://cuine.deviantart.com/art/Brandy-and-Mr-whiskers-Color-155638998

And another-
http://sonicandbrandyfan.deviantart.com/art/Sonic-in-Brandy-and-Mr-Whiskers-Screenshot-7-358481154

(Search around on DeviantArt and you can find a number of others.)

Here's some information on one of the script writers for the cartoon-
http://katherine-butler.com/television/

Here's a Brandy & Mr. Whiskers online game I found-
http://www.freegamesarea.com/leaf-boarding.html

Here are some screen captures for you from Toonariffic's site.
http://www.toonarific.com/show_pics.php?show_id=7190

http://disneychannelconfessions.tumblr.com/post/16388003709

And here's a poster from the series for sale on Amazon.com - http://www.amazon.com/27x41-Brandy-Whiskers-Original-Poster/dp/B00F8OQJ6C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1399396621&sr=8-2&keywords=Brandy+%26+Mr.+Whiskers

But unfortunately, I don't think the series has received any kind of official video release on VHS or DVD, etc.
However- there is this that I saw on the Wikipedia site for the show:
The episode "To The Moon Whiskers" is found available in Disney Channel Collection Volume 2 for Game Boy Advance Video with Kim Possible and Lilo and Stitch.

You may also find this interesting.
http://flipanimation.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-brandy-mr-whiskers-that-wasnt.html

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for your awesome answers dudes! I will update this reply as soonest as I find time to do it properly... but I wanna thank you both for helping me with this (the last link on your reply, Mac, I was looking for a long time... I guess Google has different filters depending on where you are).

---------------------

Quote:
There are a few examples of wanting to bury particularly embarrassing works, especially when looked at with current politically correct glasses. One of the best known cases is Disney's Song of the South. Disney is especially sensitive to things it has done in the past that may not hold up to current sensibilities. Though, in today's globalized society it becomes supremely difficult for companies to control this.

I thought so at first, and I think Im gonna stick with this (atleast partially) because there was an episode called ŦRepublic of Bannanasŧ that I dont find offensive myself... but I know people that may do. I mean, the show TAKES place on Brazil, and showing the stupid-dictator-thing seem like a bad thing to mess with to me (im not complaining, though, almost every Disney show mess with things they shouldnt in some way or another). Trust me, I find things like that really weak, and not worth complaining about but...

Quote:
Another possibility is the use of music or use of cut scenes. It is a murky land of IP patent law and distribution rights that have curtailed if not destroyed the hopes of many broadcast television series making it to home media. Muppet Babies is a good example. It relied heavily on cut scenes that may not have been in the public domain, but were available for fair use when initially broadcast. Same with many musical elements.

I dont know about this. Usually when a video gets blocked on YT (and sites alike) itīs says that certain parts have been blocked (it happens a lot with the audio in animés) but here it only says that it was under copyright grounds.

Quote:
I suppose you've already looked through this- http://brandyandmrwhiskers.wikia.com/wiki/Brandy_and_Mr._Whiskers_Wiki
and this though-
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Brandy_and_Mr._Whiskers_characters

Yes, I was there before Smile.

The characterīs sheet may seem complete, but itīs actually not (sure, all the protagonists are there, but no minor characters are even referred to). And the other wiki have less pages in the archive than episodes are in the series. They both seem totally abandoned too, but i'm not surprised.

Quote:

Oh yeah, that was totally my fault, sorry. What I actually meant, itīs that I wasnt able to find anything* (Ŧpureŧ) while looking on Google. But I actually laughed really hard with the things I came across to in my search. It totally worth it Laughing

* Well, most things were ok, but you know...

Only for not making this post even bigger (and not quote everything you just said Razz): I found every link you just posted really interesting, and Im eagerly wating for an opportunity to reading all. Thanks again!

PS: I wasn't even aware of that toonarific site, looks really neat... and I'm going to rely more in the english wikipedia from now on.

Last edited by IceDragon on Wed May 07, 2014 7:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks a lot for your awesome answers dudes! I will update this reply as soonest as I find time to do it properly... but I wanna thank you both for helping me with this (the last link on your reply, Mac, I was looking for a long time... I guess Google has different filters depending on where you are).

Cool! I'm glad the links were helpful for you. Very Happy Cool Hopefully, maybe the show will come to DVD someday. The best thing I can suggest on that is to write to Disney and request it- you never know...

Quote:

Oh yeah, that was totally my fault, sorry. What I actually meant, itīs that I wasnt able to find anything* (Ŧpureŧ) while looking on Google. But I actually laughed really hard with the things I came across to in my search. It totally worth it

* Well, most things were ok, but you know...

Sorry, I should have warned you- there are definitely some vulgar things out there on DeviantArt- but that's true of the Internet in general. And I don't like all of that- but there are also some really good fan pieces and funny things too. Laughing

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:

Cool! I'm glad the links were helpful for you. Very Happy Cool Hopefully, maybe the show will come to DVD someday. The best thing I can suggest on that is to write to Disney and request it- you never know...

The "Brandy and Mr Whiskers that wasn't" was one of the most interesting things I have read in a while, and it showed me some great examples of the inner side of making cartoons.

Just for the record, Iīd still probably watch the show with that art style, but I dont think it would ever hooked me in the same way.

Iīm going to take a look at the other links again, in case I missed something Very Happy

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree- art style can definitely either draw you in or turn you off, regardless of the storyline.

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
You may also find this interesting.
http://flipanimation.blogspot.com/2013/11/the-brandy-mr-whiskers-that-wasnt.html

I like this style more, actually. Kinda looks like Roger Rabbit. I am not to big on the flat looking Flash style animation, but hey, it's all good! Lots of fun links and info all around, and for me having never heard of this toon, it's always fun to learn new things! Very Happy

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, have you noticed this link on the article? http://flipanimation.blogspot.com.ar/2012/05/here-it-is-redux-riding-hood.html it was one the tags, and I have never heard of such thing... looks awesome, though.

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was almost too hip and cool! Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Other Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: