80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Glimmer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Glimmer Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

One of the best things about the new release lineup is getting characters that, by all logic and reasoning, should have been out a long time ago. The "hostage" characters as it were; those fan demanded figures that were being intentionally held back so as to give each year a mix of major and lesser characters. While a sound strategy in theory, let's face it, things were never balanced properly. It's really ridiculous that we are only now getting this major member of the Great Rebellion. At long last here's Glimmer.

Glimmer comes in the standard MOTUC blister card package, complete with the Princess of Power logo sticker on the front. She looks a bit off center to me, or maybe it's the sticker that's off center. I'm going to remover her from the package anyway though so who cares?

The back of the box shows off other figures in the line that managed to get released before her, and offers a bio for Glimmer. Like most POP bios the picture is of the toy version while the figure itself is based more on the Filmation look. I do like that they just went with Glimmer as her real name, but I feel they are overplaying her impulsive nature making her sound incompetent. Also, while Glimmer is a princess, she did not go around rubbing it in everyone's faces. At least it confirms that she survived the Second Ultimate Battleground. There have been too many characters lost already. (Toyguru stated all factions suffered casualties but we've yet to see who the Great Rebellion lost -the fact that it says she took her place ruing makes me worry for Angella)

You can see why Glimmer was clearly a "hostage figure" in that her design is fairly simple and straightforward. She uses the 2.0 female buck leaving her with the standard articulation. Ball jointed head, hips, and shoulders; swivel biceps, wrists, and waist; standard cut elbows knees and ankles. She has boots and sadly is another female who is lacking the boot cut articulation. This seems to have become the normal now and I have no idea why. She does feature the rocker joints in her feet though, so that's a plus to articulation.

Glimmer features new forearm bracers and while she has the standard right hand, her left hand is a new open palm sculpt. It is similar to the spell casting hand as seen on figures like Castaspella, but is actually more open. The fingers are less curved, which makes them appear a bit longer. They're actually not longer, just bent less, but they are a tad thicker and also spread out a bit more. This is so she can hold her accessory, which I'll get to in a moment. Some fans felt her thumb looked too big and awkward on the prototype, but looking at the final product in hand, I say it looks normal and you really have to hold it up to the old spell casting hand to notice the difference.

Glimmer's face sculpt is nicely done. She does look a bit older than I expected, but still relatively young, pretty and cute. Sadly I had a sight issue with mine as her hair had become stuck to her shoulder pad in the box. So when I tried to turn her head it ended up leaving both a paint rub on her hair, and hair groove marking on the back of her shoulder. I doubt this is a normal issue, but be wary with yours. (thankfully it's in a position where it's hidden most of the time)

Getting back to her accessories, Glimmer comes with a staff modeled after the one from her vintage figure. It resembles a rose with a jewel in the center (seemingly more appropriate for Perfuma than Glimmer) The paint job is a darker purple than the more pinkish of the vintage. True Glimmer's outfit is more purple than pink too, but the staff is even darker. Sadly it does not glow in the dark as the vintage one did, despite her bio clearly stating that it is supposed to. I mean she's Glimmer, she's supposed to produce light!

Glimmer's other accessory is a small orb, that at first I thought was meant to be a ball of light she had created. Actually though this is a Filmation artifact. It is the Moonstone as seen in the episode "Glimmer's Story". The Moonstone is an artifact passed down through her family that provides power for Castle Bright Moon and magically shields the castle from invaders. The accessory is just a small clear plastic ball, apparently hollow as there is almost no weight to it. It sits easily in her open hand and doesn't throw off her balance at all.

My vintage Glimmer is one of the few I have complete, even her hard to find headband. As you can see though, Glimmer's design was altered quite a bit for Filmation which is where the Classics figure gets its look from. I am very pleased with how she turned out. This is pretty much exactly what I expected from her (okay the Moonstone was a surprise, but a good continuity nod) I will admit that Glimmer is one of those characters that the appeal is more from her characterization and importance to the story, rather than the actual figure design. Nevertheless, I've always found Glimmer to be rather cute and I am thrilled to FINALLY have her in the Classics collection. I highly recommend her for any fan. As of this posting, Glimmer is still available on Mattycollector.com, but is marked Almost Gone so you'd better hurry. Good luck and, until next time, Good Journey.

update: she's sold out now so check the secondary market

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: