80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Madame Razz and Broom

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Madame Razz and Broom Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-fans and She-Ravers,

particularly the She-Ravers. Before we begin the review look at this. Just look:

This pic just got leaked onto the web. It's Queen Angella! She's sculpted and waiting but if 2015 doesn't happen she won't come out! I know the pic is blurry but she's still beautiful! Time's almost up, please sign up for a sub and help us get the final year through. I went a bought a second sub myself. It means I had to dip into my other "for fun" expenses (I won't be going to the movies as often and must cut back on purchases for other lines like Ninja Turtles) but I'll make that sacrifice. To paraphrase an old proverb, "I am a man, but I am only one man. I can do something, but I cannot do everything."

All right on to the review, and don't worry this is a good one. The Club Etheria add on sub is bringing us up to speed with many members of the Great Rebellion while the Filmation rights license is allowing us to get those beloved cartoon characters that were so vital yet never before released. Put them together and we get Madame Razz!

Madame comes in the standard MOTUC blister card package complete with the Princess of Power logo sticker on the bubble. There's also a star burst about how she includes her faithful sidekick/mode of transportation Broom. The back of the card shows off other Etherian characters in the line and presents a bio for Razz.

One nice thing about the Filmation figures we've gotten is that their bios, for the most part, have stuck to the story from the cartoon and not tired to introduce new material like other Classics figures. That said, part of me wishes there was some more background on Broom, but otherwise I really don't have any problem with this bio. If I were to nitpick there's always been some debate over if Razz is supposed to be a Twigget. While she has the purple skin, white hair, and yellow eyes like a Twigget she also has full five fingered hands while Twiggets have only four. (She's also a bit bigger than most Twiggets though still shorter than most humans) I don't mind her being one, I'm just saying that is a factor. Also to be super nitpicky there's more than 3 that know Adora's secret. (in the cartoon opening Adora says, "only a FEW others share this secret. AMONG them are Light Hope, Madame Razz and Kowl" there's also Broom and Loo-Kee to name 2)

So let's take a look at Madame Razz out of the package. The Four Horsemen did a perfect job of translating this character's look right out of the cartoon. The colors are nice a vibrant including the green patches on various parts of her outfit. She is a completely unique sculpt with all new tooling. Her head is all one solid piece, so no you can't remove her hat and see her face. This does also mean that the pinwheel on her hat does not turn. I kinda wish this was a separate part and articulated since the wheel was frequently shown spinning whenever she flew, but this is a very minor thing, and probably would've cost too much to tool since she's all new parts as is.

On that note let's talk about her articulation. Her head is on the typical ball joint as are her shoulders. Below that is where the joints get more unique. Like Orko and Unnamed One, since her arms are shorter, she has ball joints halfway down which combine the elbow cut and bicep swivel into one point. She has wrist swivels, though it's actually at the end of her sleeves rather than the actual wrist. This helps to hide the articulation point. Likewise she has a waist swivel that's largely hidden by her belt. She has the usual style hip joints, but then features ball joints at the knees. Actually the joint is below the tuffs on her pant legs so that's a bit lower than where her actual knee would probably be, but again this gives her articulation while hiding the joint in the sculpt. Finally she has more ball joints at the ankles combining ankle cut and boot cut swivel. The ankles seem a tad loose, but there's not really much of any balance issue. Really this is more a matter of placing a stocky body on small thin feet and with that in mind she actually balances very well.

That's going to bring us to Broom, which is the only "accessory" included. I place it in quotes because, as anyone who watched the show knows, Broom is more than an accessory. He is a full character with a personality and emotions and deserves full recognition as such. As with Razz, this is a perfect representation of the character from the cartoon. His facial features are perfectly captured with his long pointy nose and square jaw. The only articulation on him are ball jointed shoulders but, what with his body being a broomstick, there really isn't any more that should be expected. His bristles are sculpted in a way that he not only can stand on his own, but you can fit Razz's long curled boot points through the curls. Spread his arms out and place Razz's hands holding on and you've got the riding pose from the cartoon. Now they can't actually stand up in this pose, but if you can find a flight stand that would work with them (there is none included) this would look good on display.

Madame Razz is certainly a different and more cartoonish figure, but "Oh deary my" is she ever a perfect addition to the collection. Razz is such a vital character to the storyline that no fan should be without one and I am overjoyed to finally add her to the ranks of my Great Rebellion. And of course she wouldn't be complete without Broom at her side. Obviously I'm not alone in this because Razz and Broom sold out very quickly. See if you had a sub you wouldn't need to worry about that. So go over to Mattycollector.com and get a 2015 sub so you don't miss out on all those great figures, then check the secondary market for Madame because she is a must have. Good Luck and, until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added an eleventh hour sub for myself! I was happy to see that not only was it still open tonight, but until 11:xx pm PST, double bonus for a late comer!

Thanks to you for your excellent posts, fingers crossed to hitting the goal!!!

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never commented because I feel like I haven't anything valuable to add, but I wanna thank for all the interesting reading you were providing me. Keep up the great work!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: