80sCartoons.net Forum Index

A review of Scooby-Doo's video release history

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: A review of Scooby-Doo's video release history Reply with quote

Okay- this is definitely a different kind of review. As can be evidenced from this thread (http://80scartoons.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4186), I'm a big fan of Scooby-Doo and I like to watch the various cartoons. However, the history of Scooby-Doo can be confusing to follow. I have been working on compiling a list that will review the various DVD releases Scooby-Doo shows have received, which will hopefully help make it easier to keep up with all the various Scooby-Doo shows and their availability on DVD.
Keep in mind that while I have included a few Region 2 DVD releases, this list is largely based on Region 1 DVD releases. I do not claim that this list is all comprehensive, as I know there are a number of video releases that I have not listed. In the case where a series has been given a Complete Series DVD release, I will generally just list that release and not bother to list other DVD releases that have been made that just have a couple of episodes from the series. Also, some episodes have been released on multiple DVD sets, and I may not list all of them, particularly if a later release incorporates those same episodes on it. (For example: The "Scooby-Doo! Winter Wonderdog" DVD release contains episodes that are all duplicated on the later "Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales: Holiday Chills and Thrills" DVD release- and that release contains additional episodes as well. So I would probably just list that release rather than the earlier one.)
I will try to list VHS releases as well when I get a chance to update this list. At this point, there are still some episodes of various series that have received a VHS release, but still have not made it to DVD, so I will particularly try to highlight those cases.
I hope this will be helpful for other Scooby fans seeking to complete a collection of Scooby-Doo cartoons, or just for casual fans who would enjoy reading through the history of the Scooby-Doo cartoons.
Please note that I have not listed all the various Scooby-Doo movies, whether theatrical, TV-movie or straight-to-video. That would be a much longer list and those are all generally available on either VHS or DVD in any case. (With some exceptions, like in the case of parody/comedic specials aired by Cartoon Network and Hanna-Barbera anniversary specials, etc. I may try to catalog those at some point as well, but I am not primarily focusing on those right now.)
And with that said- enjoy! Scooby Dooby Doo! Very Happy Cool

Scooby-Doo VHS and DVD releases

“Scooby-Doo Where Are You!” (Complete 1st. and 2nd. Seasons) set (i.e. Complete original series) DVD set

“Scooby-Doo Where Are You!”(Complete 3rd. Season) DVD set (i.e. 16 additional later episodes originally aired under the “Scooby-Doo Where Are You!” titles- really the third season of the show known in syndication as “The Scooby-Doo Show”)

"The Best of The New Scooby-Doo Movies" DVD set (contains 15 episodes).
For the following 9 episodes, the rights from the guest stars could not be otained in order for the episodes to be included on the DVD release.

"Wednesday is Missing (aka Scooby-Doo Meets the Addams Family)", guest starring The Addams Family
"A Good Medium is Rare", guest starring Phyllis Diller
"Sandy Duncan's Jekyll and Hyde (aka Scooby Doo Meets Sandy Duncan)", guest starring Sandy Duncan (of course Smile)
"The Secret of Shark Island", guest starring Sonny & Cher
"The Haunted Horseman of Hagglethorn Hall", guest starring Davy Jones
"The Phantom of the Country Music Hall", guest starring Jerry Reed
"The Haunted Showboat", guest starring Cast of
Josie and the Pussycats
"Mystery in Persia (aka Scooby-Doo meets Jeannie)", guest starring Cast of Jeannie
"The Spirited Spooked Sports Show", guest starring Tim Conway

Though not available on DVD yet, some of these episodes have been officially released to VHS:

"Wednesday is Missing (AKA Scooby-Doo Meets The Addams Family)"- released as "Scooby Doo Meets The Addams Family" by Worldvision, most likely somewhere in the late '80s.- (Note: This is a PAL only VHS release.[i.e. Region 2])

"The Secret of Shark Island"- released on the VHS videotape entitled "Hanna Barbera Personal Favorites: Scooby-Doo" (Note: This one has been released both in NTSC and PAL format.)

“The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour” (Complete series) DVD set (Contains both the first season of what’s known in syndication as “The Scooby-Doo Show” and the entire series of “Dynomutt, Dog Wonder”. DDW has three episodes where Scooby-Doo and the gang make appearances too: "Everyone Hyde!", "What Now, Lowbrow?" and "The Wizard of Ooze".)

*The second season of (as it’s known in syndication) “The Scooby-Doo Show” has not all been released to DVD yet. Of the 8 episodes in question, 3 have been released as follows:
“Vampire Bats and Scaredy Cats” on “Scooby-Doo’s Spookiest Tales” DVD set (Note: This version is slightly edited from the original airing.) and on "Scooby-Doo! and the Vampires" DVD set (available in Region 2 already and released in Region 1 on January 14, 2014)
“The Ozark Witch Switch” on “Scooby-Doo: 13 Spooky Tales Around the World” DVD set
“Hang in There, Scooby-Doo” on “Scooby-Doo: 13 Spooky Tales- Run for Your ‘Rife’ “ DVD set
All 40 episodes of “The Scooby-Doo Show” have been released for download from iTunes though.

"Scooby-Doo: Scared A Lot In Camelot" VHS release- "Scared A Lot In Camelot" [Note: "Scared A Lot In Camelot" is also available on "The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour" Complete Series DVD set.]

"Scooby-Doo: A Dog In The Ruff" VHS release- "Watt A Shocking Ghost" [Note: "Watt A Shocking Ghost" is also available on "The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour" Complete Series DVD set.]

“Scooby’s All-Star Laff-A-Lympics” Volume 1 DVD set (contains first 4 episodes of series)
“Scooby’s All-Star Laff-A-Lympics” Volume 2 DVD set (contains next 4 episodes of series)
“Scooby-Doo! Laff-A-Lympics: Spooky Games” DVD set (contains remaining 8 episodes from 1st. Season, as well as new episode with Scooby-Doo and the gang in a mystery-solving format called “Spooky Games”.)

*The second season of “Scooby’s All-Star Laff-A-Lympics” has not been released to DVD yet. (There are 8 more episodes in Season 2 that have not been released yet.)

4 VHS tapes (NTSC) were released in 1996:
"Yippee for the Yogi Yahooeys!"- (contains episodes "India and Israel" and "Grand Canyon and Ireland". Both episodes are also available on the "Scooby-Doo! Laff-A-Lympics: Spooky Games" DVD set.)
"On Your Marks, Get Set- Go Scoobys!"
"Something Smells Really Rotten"
"Heavens to Hilarity, This is it, Sports Fans!"

“Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo”- No official season DVD sets have been released. Select episodes have been released to various DVDs and VHS tapes though, as follows:
“Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales Around the World” DVD set- “Shiver and Shake, That Demon’s A Snake” and “Lock the Door, It’s a Minotaur”
“Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales: Holiday Chills and Thrills” DVD set- “Rocky Mountain Yiiiiii”
“Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales: Ruh Roh Robot!” DVD set- “Scary Sky Skeleton”
(Thus, there are still 12 more episodes that have not been released to DVD yet. Note: This series includes Scooby-Doo, Scrappy and the whole gang- Shaggy, Fred, Daphne and Velma.)

"Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Vol. 1" VHS release- "The Hairy Scare of the Devil Bear"

"Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Vol. 2" VHS release- [Note: According to an Amazon.com review, it contains 3 episodes, but I don't know which ones.]

"Scooby-Doo: The Ghoul, The Bat And The Ugly" VHS release- "The Ghoul, The Bat And The Ugly"

“The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show” The Complete Series Volume 1 DVD set (Note: These episodes only contain shorts with Shaggy, Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo)- First 7 complete episodes of the series. [Note: Every episode is made up of a 30 minutes long “Richie Rich” cartoon and a 30 minutes long set of 3 shorts [running about 7 minutes each] for the Scooby half of the show. Seasons 1 and 2 ran under this title. Season 3 was renamed “The Scooby & Scrappy-Doo/Puppy Hour”, with a new premise. In the first 2 shorts, Shaggy, Scooby and Scrappy all worked on solving mystery cases for Shaggy’s Uncle Fearless as members of the Fearless Detective Agency. The last short involved Scrappy, Yabba-Doo and Deputy Dusty maintaining law and order in a western town.]

Other episodes of the series have been released as individual 7 minute shorts on various DVDs, as follows:
“Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales Around the World” DVD set- “Moonlight Madness”
“Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales- Holiday Chills and Thrills” DVD set- “Tenderbigfoot” and “Snow Job Too Small”
“Scooby-Doo! Mask of the Blue Falcon” DVD- “Comic Book Caper”
“Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales- Ruh Roh Robot!” DVD set- “Way Out Scooby”, “Who’s Scooby-Doo?” and “Disappearing Car Caper”
“Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales: For The Love of Snack” DVD set- “Scooby’s Swiss Miss”, “Et Tu, Scoob?”, “Soggy Bog Scooby”, “South Seas Scare”, “Scooby Gumbo”, “Alaskan King Coward”, “Hothouse Scooby”, “Scooby Doo 2000”, and “Punk Rock Scooby”

(Thus, of the 99 shorts produced, 37 shorts have been released to DVD, with 62 still not available on DVD.)
All three seasons have been released for download from the iTunes store though.)

"Scooby-Doo in Swamp Witch" VHS release- "Mummy's The Word", "Swamp Witch", and "Scooby's Desert Dilemma". Also includes "Hanna-Barbera Fun Safety Tips" segment, most likely made directly for the video. (All three of these shorts are available on "The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show" The Complete Series Volume 1 DVD set as well.)

"Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Volume 3" VHS release- [Presumably contains shorts from this series, but I am not positive which ones.]

"Scooby-Doo and Friends: Mostly Ghostly" VHS release (released under the "Hanna Barbera Superstars" banner)- "Soggy Bog Scooby". [Note: Contains shorts from various Hanna Barbera cartoons and runs for 70 or 75 minutes. (The videotape itself apparently has a different listing from library catalogues.) Other cartoons include Snagglepuss in "Be My Ghost", Peter Potamus in a cartoon visiting McGruesome Castle, and other characters like Snooper & Blabber, Richochet Rabbit and segments from "Wake, Rattle and Roll". It also includes the "Hanna Barbera Fun Safety Tips" segment made for video releases. It's possible there could be other Scooby-Doo segments on there, but I am not sure beyond what I've listed here.] [Note: "Soggy Bog Scooby" is also available on the “Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales: For The Love of Snack” DVD set.]

"Scooby-Doo's Puppy Dog Tales" VHS release (released under the "Hanna Barbera Superstars" banner)- "Scooby-Nocchio", "Scooby and the Beanstalk" and "Scooby in Wonderland". [Note: Also contains a Huckleberry Hound cartoon- "Little Red Riding Huck" as well as cartoons featuring Loopy D'Loop and Winsome Witch. There's also a Hanna Barbera cartoon trivia/fun and game segment made for video releases included. The runtime is 85 minutes.]

“The New Scooby and Scrappy-Doo Show”- No official season DVD sets have been released. (Note: This show is comprised of two 11 minute shorts per half hour episode. Shaggy, Scooby, Scrappy and Daphne all appear regularly in this series, all working as reporters for a teen magazine and solving mysteries. The second season was renamed “The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries”, which still maintained the same format and cast, but also had Fred and Velma making guest star appearances in six episodes. All of their episodes are two-part in that they take up the entire half hour. Every other episode follows the same format of two 11 minute shorts per half hour episode.)
Some episodes and/or individual shorts have been released on various DVDs and VHS tapes as follows:

“Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales Around the World” DVD set- “Ghost of the Ancient Astronauts” (Parts 1 and 2)
“Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales- Holiday Chills and Thrills” DVD set- “The Nutcracker Scoob” (Parts 1 and 2)
“Scooby-Doo! Mask of the Blue Falcon” DVD- “The Scooby Coupe”
“Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales- Run for Your ‘Rife’ " DVD set- “The Stony Glare Stare”
“Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales- Ruh Roh Robot!” DVD set- “The Dinosaur Deception”, “The Hand of Horror”, “Doom Service”, “A Code in the Nose”, “The Bee Team”, “A Night Louse at the White House” (Parts 1 and 2)

(Note: The following are Region 2 DVDs)
“Happy Spook-Day Scooby-Doo!” DVD set- “Happy Birthday, Scooby-Doo” (Parts 1 and 2) [Scrappy-Doo is even featured on the cover! Wow!]
“Scooby-Doo! And the Skeletons” DVD set- “Who’s Minding the Monsters?” and “Scooby a la Mode”
“Scooby-Doo! And the Creepy Carnival” DVD set- “The Crazy Carnival Caper”

"Scooby-Doo's Wedding Bell Boos" VHS release- "Wedding Bell Boos! (Parts 1 and 2)
"Scooby-Doo: A Halloween Hassle at Dracula's Castle" VHS release - "A Halloween Hassle at Dracula's Castle" (Parts 1 and 2)

“The 13 Ghosts of Scooby-Doo”- Complete series DVD set. (Note: This series featured only Shaggy, Scooby, Scrappy and Daphne, along with new characters like Flim Flam, Vincent Van Ghoul and recurring villians Weerd and Bogel. The gang also faced real supernatural characters on this show. There was also some breaking the fourth wall humor on this show.)

“A Pup Named Scooby-Doo” – Complete 1st. Season DVD set and Complete 2nd., 3rd. and 4th. Seasons DVD set. (Note: This series returned to the original premise of [usually] facing off with criminals masquerading as a supernatural character. The whole original gang is featured as well- Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby-Doo. They are also presented as children in this series, with a lot of humor breaking the fourth wall.)

“What’s New Scooby-Doo?”- Complete 1st. Season DVD set, Complete 2nd. Season DVD set and Complete 3rd. Season DVD set (Note: This series depicted the original gang- Fred, Daphne, Velma, Shaggy and Scooby as their teenage selves, solving mysteries with criminals masquerading as supernatural entities. Some of the clothing for the gang is tweaked here and there, with the same basic color scheme staying the same. Also, the show is clearly set in the early 2000s, which is when it was made.)

“Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get A Clue!”- (Note: This series is also clearly set in the mid-to-late 2000s, which is when it was made. Shaggy and Scooby-Doo are the only main characters from the original gang on this show. Fred, Daphne and Velma all make appearances in a few episodes, but they mainly play cameo roles. However, their silhouettes can still be seen in the opening credits. Shaggy and Scooby inherit a mansion from Shaggy’s rich uncle and armed with technological advances to the Mystery Machine and superpower-enabling Scooby Snacks, they fight against the criminal plans of recurring villain Dr. Phibes.)
There are no complete season DVD releases for this series as of yet, however some volumes of episodes have been released , along with other episodes released on various DVDs, as follows:
“Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get A Clue!” Volume 1 DVD set– “Shags to Riches”, “More Fondue for Scooby-Doo”, “High Society Scooby” and “Party Arty” [first four episodes of the series]
“Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get A Clue!” Volume 2 DVD set- “Smart House”, “Lightning Strikes Twice”, “Don’t Feed The Animals” and “Mystery of the Missing Mystery Solvers” [next four episodes of the series]
“Scooby-Doo! 13 Spooky Tales- For The Love of Snack” DVD set- “The Many Faces of Evil”

“Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated”-(Note: This series returned to the original premise of fighting criminals masquerading as supernatural entities with the original gang of Shaggy, Scooby, Fred, Daphne and Velma. This series is also unique because it had an ongoing story arc for each season. Guest stars were also seen at times, like Captain Caveman, The Blue Falcon and Dynomutt, Jabberjaw, Speed Buggy and The Funky Phantom.)
Complete Season 1 DVD set. (The Complete Season 2 DVD release has been done in 2 volumes thus far, but will most likely have a Complete Season 2 DVD release soon, possibly followed by a Complete Series DVD set. The entire series is available on DVD.)

.......................................................................................
Unclassified Hanna-Barbera video releases

"Hanna-Barbera Festival of Fun"- 1991 VHS release; runs for right at 6 hours of cartoon fun!
Includes the following: "The Flintstones"-"Masquerade Ball"
"Huckleberry Hound"-"Two Corny Crows"
"The Jetsons"-"Team Spirit"
"Scooby-Doo, Where Are You!"-"A Gaggle of Galloping Ghosts"
"Top Cat"-"Dibbles Double"
[Note: I am not positive, but I believe these next three listings may well be collections of various shorts- thus, it seems likely some of the "The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show" shorts may be included on here- but I don't know which ones.]
Quick Draw McGraw and Huckleberry Hound in "Dizzy Desperadoes"
Yogi Bear and Pixie & Dixie in "Cartoons-A-La-Carte"
Scooby-Doo and Friends in "Funny Bones"

"Footlight Follies"- 1991 VHS release.
The cover depicts Doggie Daddy, Snagglepuss and Scooby-Doo. Here is a brief description from Amazon.com- "The showbiz shenanigans just don't stop when Scooby-Doo, Wally Gator, Augie Doggie, Doggie Daddy and Snagglepuss try their luck in Tinseltown as they shoot for superstardom."
The run time is 30 minutes. Thus, it seems likely that some of the "The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show" shorts may be included on this video, but I don't know which ones.

"Hanna-Barbera Happy Hour Vol. 2" VHS release (PAL only)- Featuring "Wacky Races", "Huckleberry Hound" and "Scooby-Doo" cartoons. I'm not sure which ones though.

"The Flintstones and Friends in Wacky Wayfarers"1990 VHS release (Hanna-Barbera Superstars banner release)- Has a run time of 85 minutes and features The Flintstones, Wally Gator, Hokey Wolf and Lippy The Lion, as well as Scooby-Doo! (The cover art features both Scooby and Scrappy, so I'm thinking there may be a "Scooby and Scrappy-Doo" 11 minute short on there, but I don't know for sure.)

"Peter Potamus and his Pals in Hippos to Go" 1990 VHS (released under the Hanna-Barbera Superstars banner)-
(view cover here.)
The portly hippos stars in "Stars on Mars," "Monotony on the Bounty" and "America or Bust." Also features episodes with Scooby-Doo, Yogi Bear, Lippy the Lion and Hokey Wolf. Contains cartoon trivia. Runtime is 85 minutes.
Scrappy-Doo is featured on the cover, so it leads me to think that most likely one of the Scooby-Doo and Scrappy-Doo 11 minute long cartoons is included on this videotape, but I am not sure which one.

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O

Last edited by MacGyver on Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:06 am; edited 33 times in total
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a fun Youtube video with many of the various Scooby-Doo show intros [including different intros used for different seasons of a show], though there are some missing.
(Unfortunately, "Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get A Clue!" was apparently left out intentionally, due to the poster's dislike for the show. I will admit it is not a top favorite for me either, but I do still like it as part of Scooby-Doo history and it should be included.)
Here are a few that were left out-
The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour (This is about the closest you'll probably find online- it seems very hard to find this original intro for the series.)
(Just for the record, here's the syndicated intro for Dynomutt, Dog Wonder as well.)
And we can't forget one of my favorites:
Scooby's All Star Laff-A-Lympics
(And just for fun, here's the Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels theme song too.)
The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show
The Scooby & Scrappy-Doo Puppy Hour
And here's Shaggy & Scooby-Doo Get A Clue!
Very Happy Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found another video collection of Scooby-Doo cartoon theme songs on Youtube. Unfortunately, this one has an annoying anime logo on the bottom right hand corner of the screen throughout it.
On the plus side, this one does include "Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get A Clue!" Very Happy Cool
(But it doesn't include the second season opening for "Scooby-Doo Where Are You!" or the opening for "The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour".)
But it also remembers to include "Scooby's All Star Laff-A-Lympics", "The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show" and "The Scooby & Scrappy-Doo Puppy Hour".
Smile

And here's something else cool I found- a fun video tribute to Scooby-Doo, Vincent Price and Michael Jackson's "Thriller". Very Happy Cool
(Seeing as how the opening of "The New Scooby-Doo Mysteries" pretty obviously referenced The King of Pop's "Thriller" song, it's cool and fitting to see this mashup.)
Very Happy Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: