80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Which (non-80s) cartoons do you recommend?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain S.
Radical

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Which (non-80s) cartoons do you recommend? Reply with quote

This is basically a companion thread to Which 80s cartoons do you recommend?

Mr. Green

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a great one too Wink

I'm currently IN LOVE with a show called "The Loud House".

I'm also getting some sincere laughs out of "Ren and Stimpy".

And I'm OF COURSE watching "Kuroko No Basuke" again (it's like Slam Dunk 2... and well worthy of that title).

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you didn't specify TV, so...

Kung Fu Panda is fun. You wouldn't think so, as it is a terrible name and it stars Jack Black but I was pleasantly surprised.

I saw Finding Dory in theaters on Friday. Quite enjoyed it. Pixar, seemingly, can do no wrong.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LepricahnsGold wrote:

I saw Finding Dory in theaters on Friday. Quite enjoyed it. Pixar, seemingly, can do no wrong.

Are you seriously saying that after two "Cars" films? Razz

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceDragon wrote:
[quote="LepricahnsGold"

Are you seriously saying that after two "Cars" films? Razz[/quote]Well, OK, I haven't seen the second Cars. I did enjoy the first Cars, though.

squidbee
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion it is always time for high adventure with the Pirates of Dark Water. Such an underrated show that suffers from never having an official ending...maybe I shouldn't recommend it because I would hate for others to suffer my fate and be left wondering what happened to the crew. Smile

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give Animaniacs, Bunnicula and Tiny Toon Adventures a go as well Smile

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys have named some of my favorites already- Animaniacs and Tiny Toon Adventures for sure. And yes to Pirates of Dark Water.
And might as well as name the other '90s series that often gets mistaken for an '80s cartoon- Captain Planet!
And I would also list a number of Disney Afternoon cartoons like Talespin, Darkwing Duck, Aladdin, The Little Mermaid and Hercules.
And definitely Doug and Eek!Stravaganza.
And all my superhero shows, of course- Iron Man, The Fantastic Four (both '90s series), Spider-Man ('90s), Spider-Man Unlimited, The Avengers (1999 cartoon), Silver Surfer, Justice League and Justice League Unlimited. And Batman (90s) and Superman (90s) of course.
The ones for years past that get slim for me.....except for the 2000s era, I would definitely recommend Phineas and Ferb! LOVE that cartoon series! And Gravity Falls is pretty cool too.
And I could list TONS for the '50s, '60s and '70s (and probably some other eras too.)
The Flintstones and The Jetsons and Yogi Bear and Top Cat, for starters.
And Star Trek: The Animated Series and The Hardy Boys cartoon.
And Superfriends, of course. Smile Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather liked Rugrats, the Animaniacs spin-off Pinky and the Brain, Dexter's Laboratory ("Hiya, Dexter!" "DeeDee! Get out!"), Codename: Kids Next Door, and sugar, spice, and everything nice plus Chemical X, The Powerpuff Girls (the original one).

The Powerpuff Girls beat the Legion of Doom

Codename: Kids Next Door: Operation Z.E.R.O.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah! Can't forget Pinky and the Brain (or even Pinky, Elmyra and the Brain). Laughing
The Tweety and Sylvester Mysteries was good too and of course, The Bugs Bunny & Tweety Show.
I'm not a huge fan of Dexter's Laboratory, but I enjoyed it well enough, along with The Powerpuff Girls. And Johnny Bravo was pretty cool.
Haha- thanks for the Powerpuff Girls vs. the Legion of Doom video link- I remember this short from Cartoon Network- funny. Smile
Oh yeah- and What's New Scooby-Doo? and Scooby-Doo: Mystery, Inc. are pretty cool too! (And Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get A Clue!- I like some aspects of it, but it's probably easily one of my least favorite Scooby series. Be Cool, Scooby-Doo might either tie or just barely beat it out for that spot though. Yet I'll still watch all of the Scooby series, of course.) Smile Cool

Optimus Prime
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinky and the Brain is a must.

Even have them stickered on my car. I can nab a photo if anyone is interested?
SharpFork
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Disney could get their senses straight and realize that there is a market for Marvel cartoons on DVD in the US. Thankfully before the merger of Marvel and Disney a good 90% of the cartoons from 1966-1997 were released in the UK in a semi-remastered form. The likes of Spider Woman 1979, Hulk 1982, Spiderman 1981, Spiderman Unlimited, Silver Surfer, the 1966 Canadian cartoons, and Fantastic Four 1978 (with Herbie instead of the Human Torch!?!) would not exist on dvd for us otherwise.
Unfortunately some of these are so long out of print that the 1966 Sub-Mariner UK dvd alone is going for upwards of $200 USED. The 1995 Spiderman complete series? You dont even want to know.

Of course they released some of the more popular series from the 90s in the US (everything but Spiderman it seems aside from a few best of collections) in correlation with film releases- but by golly, i deserve my Spiderman and his Amazing Friends in the US. Spider Woman 1979 is an incredibly great cartoon series! Campy fun and one of the first female superhero syndicated series (if not THE first!)

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes- that situation is frustrating to me too. I LOVE Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, along with the 1981 Spider-Man series as well. I would definitely like to see all of those on DVD, along with Spider-Woman. That series is definitely one of the first female superhero cartoon series- there were Jana of the Jungle and Isis before her, I think. (Isis appeared in the "Freedom Force" cartoon.) And of course, Invisible Girl (as she was called then) appeared in the 1967 The Fantastic Four series (still the best FF cartoon, as far as I'm concerned.) But as far as a series with a female superhero as the main star- yeah, Spider-Woman is one of the earliest. And it's a great one- it features two appearances of Spider-Man, by the way- as well as the first animated appearance of Dormammu. (Dr. Strange villian.)
Ideally, of course, I'd like to see complete DVD releases of all the Marvel cartoons in Region 1- particularly the ones from the '60s to '90s. But my favorites would probably have to be the series I've already mentioned and the 1982 The Incredible Hulk cartoon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Other Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: