80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Care Bears - Region 4 DVDs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormness_1
Radical

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:56 am    Post subject: Care Bears - Region 4 DVDs? Reply with quote

Mods - Feel free to move this if it's in the incorrect forum (Long-time lurker, first-time poster)

I'm finally almost done collecting the Nelvana Region 4 DVDs, and am moving on to tracking down the specials. Are they available in region 4? Most places I see reference the wiki, but I see no mention of an actual release there, perhaps it's been edited? Does anyone have a complete list of region 4 releases covering all episodes, or does it not exist?

So far I have figured out:
The Movie
The Movie II: A New Generation
The Classic Collection:
-The Classic Collection Volume I (11 DiC & some Nelvana episodes)
-The Classic Collection Volume II (the rest of the Nelvana episodes)
-The Big Wish Movie
Magna Pacific Nelvana Series:
- Volume 1
- Volume 2
- Volume 3
- Volume 4
- Volume 5
- Volume 6
- Volume 7
- Volume 8
- Volume 9
- Volume 10
- Volume 11 (Nutcracker)
- Volume 12 (Wonderland)

And that covers all of the 80s eps except the specials so is there a region 4/0 release that contains them?

Edited to reflect current knowledge of releases.

Last edited by Stormness_1 on Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
scroeffie
Gnarly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey so its possible to have the complete tv series of care bears ?
do you have links for the tv show thanks

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums, Stormness_1! Glad to have you join us! Smile I trust you will have fun and enjoy your time here in the world of '80s cartoons. I will have to research and get back to you about the Care Bears DVD question.

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Stormness_1
Radical

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This set:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Care-Bears-Complete-DVD/dp/B002GBDUZS
Includes the specials, and all of the DiC episodes. They aren't all listed, but as you can see in the reviews, they are all there. It is a Region 2, but by far the most complete set released currently available. I have a region free DVD player, as well as software that avoids region coding for my PC, however I wanted to have a complete Region 4 set, because I'm a crazy person, and like doing things the hard way. If I manage to track down the specials and they're edited, or they aren't available here, I still may buy this set just to have them, but I wanted to at least try to find a local set first.

The Australian set of the Nelvana episodes is the most complete, however it is no longer available to purchase retail. I've only just decided that I want these, so I've been tracking them down online and at thrift. They total 12 DVDs, and cover the entire Nelvana series, including the Nutcracker episodes and the Wonderland special. They don't include the movies, although those seem to be a cinch to get a hold of in any region.

If you're looking for the most complete box set of Nelvana available right now, there's this Region 1 set:
https://www.amazon.com/Care-Bears-Original-Collection/dp/B008QE9UWG/
Region 1 also has this DiC set:
https://www.amazon.com/Care-Bears-Complete-Cheer-Bear/dp/B013FDBGWO/
and the Region 1 version of the first movie has 1 of the specials (Care Bears Battle the Freeze Machine) included:
https://www.amazon.com/Care-Bears-Movie-Georgia-Engel/dp/B000LP6KM6/
The other special is available with the 25th anniversary Tenderheart plushes in white and gold, and is listed as "the Lost Episode" but apparently it has been edited and is NOT the original version. I believe that the version on the region 2 set however, is the original, at least I have not heard any different.

As for the Region 4 release of the DiC series, prior to the set I have on the way which (fingers crossed) possibly has them, I had only found 2 DVDs which were released by Jigsaw Entertainment in NZ, titled Daydreams, and The Last Laugh, totaling 12 stories, or 6 episodes, only half of the original series. Jigsaw's website only shows these two releases, and I can find no reference of any others by them, or any other region 4 distributor. In Australia, Care Bears was distributed originally by the Brisbane company Magna Pacific, which is now Beyond Entertainment, so their website is gone and their products are hard to find catalogued online.

I have so far found no trace of the two original specials anywhere on region 4 DVD, despite the fact that care bears communities seem to reference region 4 as being the only place to buy the most complete series until the aforementioned sets came out a few years ago. Perhaps there are older sets that include them, or maybe they were just referencing the Nelvana set? I found no trace online of the set I just bought or what it contained until it popped up on ebay. It mentions containing 11 never-before released episodes, so I am hoping that it is referencing the DiC series of 11 episodes. It will be one hell of a disappointing coincidence if it isn't!! I will of course update this when it arrives.

scroeffie
Gnarly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found this but its sold

http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Care-Bears-The-Classic-Collection-DVD-2009-7-Disc-Set-Region-4/152521682673?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Stormness_1
Radical

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that may actually be the box set I just purchased 2 DVDs from. It has 61 'episodes', and 7 discs, which I believe to be the 11 DiC episodes + the 49 Nelvana episodes + The Big Wish Movie.

It was released by Magna Pacific, so it's no longer available to purchase new, and it's difficult to find any more info unless someone has it. The seller I found had the 3 DVDs, but no box or recollection of a box, as he bought them used in a lot of DVDs, and was selling off what he didn't want. I bought the first two, but didn't see the point in buying the Big Wish Movie as I already had another copy, and it wasn't as if I had the box to put them in as a collection - and it's a weird collection, as the Big Wish Movie wasn't the next movie chronologically, either, nor was it the latest incarnation at the time of release, at least according to the listing's release date.

Stormness_1
Radical

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm super bummed. I checked my ebay this arvo because I got a weird email about my Care Bears DVD parcel being delivered... but the date said the 19th. Wait a minute, that's tomorrow, and a Saturday, it can't have been delivered then! So I went in to my account and checked the tracking, and it said the 18th, so I assumed it was a typo. Hubby picked up the mail on the way home from work, so I assumed he'd grabbed it already, he'd texted me to tell me I had a parcel. Whoot!

Hubby gets home, and the parcel is too small to have 2 DVDs inside. Turned out to be a phone case I'd ordered months ago from China. So where's my DVDs??! Maybe they were delivered to the post office today? Usually I don't get a delivered notification until it's scanned and handed to me. Maybe they have new staff that screwed it up. Urgh... colour me disappointed. But at least I'll have it next week (our PO doesn't open Saturdays) I hope! Then I can finally tell you guys whether or not the DiC Episodes are in that set!

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information on the Care Bears DVD sets. I see you found my other thread on Care Bears- that pretty much sums up what I've found on the series and its DVD releases. As one who's only seen a bit of it, I'm not super knowledgable on this show, but I know a little. (And I know how to research what I don't know. Wink )

Stormness_1
Radical

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're here!

I can now confirm that the Region 4 Box set, The Care Bears Classic Collection, contains ALL 11 DiC episodes, and ALL 49 Nelvana Episodes, in the correct order, which hasn't been done on other box sets around the world. It also has Big Wish Movie on it's own disk, in it's own case, with the same cover art and content as the standalone DVD, but has a unique back cover to match the others in the set. It does NOT include the movies Care Bears The Movie I & II, Journey To Joke-a-Lot, the two early specials, or Wonderland. It appears to be the only region 4 set with the complete set of DiC episodes in English.

Now to find the specials. That may be a tad difficult... I may still end up having to get the UK set just for those, as it's the only release in which they remain unedited to my knowledge.

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a really useful information, thanks for sharing it Smile

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks for the confirmation. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: