80sCartoons.net Forum Index

G.I.Joe Rise of Cobra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's TV and Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: G.I.Joe Rise of Cobra Reply with quote

Never watched the show but after seeing the movie....kinda wanna watch it.
Very actiony!

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT? Are you serious? What is this? We had to indoctrinate you on ThunderCats- wasn't it- now G.I. Joe too? You gotta get caught up on these '80s classic cartoons! Laughing Wink
(ha ha- just kidding ya.)
But yeah- definitely check out the original G.I. Joe cartoon- it's still great fun- and one of my favorites as a kid.
And by the way, I also really enjoyed the movie.
YO JOE! Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I'd go ahead and post my little review of the movie, which I really enjoyed pretty well. There's always some things that could have been done better, but it was good for the most part.
(And just so you know, this is coming from someone who grew up with the Sunbow and DIC G.I. Joe cartoons and the action figures and has read some of the Marvel and Image comics. G.I. Joe has always been one of my favorite cartoons as a child in the '80s.) Smile

Wow! Well, I saw the movie- "G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra"- and I think it lived up to its name. Yes, there were some things I wish had been done a bit differently. (For instance, I always wish there wasn't such a large amount of foul language, especially coming from what I primarily know as cartoon characters who never said anything near curse words on the cartoon)- but this did seem to be a lot cleaner than Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. And I would say this movie was a lot better than that one too.
I don't want to give a lot away for those who haven't seen it yet- but I will say that I really enjoyed the movie. This has been probably one of the first big action movies that have been on my "must-see" list for 2009 that I have really felt satisfied with. (Others like the aforementioned TF movie and Star Trek just weren't quite there, as far as I'm concerned.) But looks-wise, they really did nail a lot of the characters- and Marlon Wayans really was not as bad as some might have thought. Yes, he was pretty much there for comic relief as Ripcord, but there's always been some humor on the G.I. Joe cartoons and in the comics. I really liked Dennis Quaid as General Hawk and Channing Tatum as Duke. Ray Park did just fine as Snake Eyes- honestly, I pretty much liked all the casting really well. I think this movie did much better than my initial expectations- it wrapped things up nicely for the most part, but definitely left room wide open for a sequel.
Hopefully a sequel movie would allow more characters to show up- Roadblock, Beachhead, Gung-Ho, Leatherneck, Mutt & Junkyard, Spirit, Lady Jaye and of course, Crazylegs would be some of my choices. We'll see. (And I'd love to see the actual Sgt. Slaughter from the '80s come and do a cameo as the over-the-top drill instructor!)
And yes- the classic lines were worked in nicely and the movie was indeed enjoyable. So enjoy it now that you know a little more about it. And knowing is half the battle! YO JOE! Very Happy Cool

ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went into the GI Joe movie expecting I wouldn't like it. I didn't like it, I LOVED it! It was a perfect mix of the cartoon and comic, faithful enough for a fan to enjoy without excluding new viewers. The action was great, the characters were relatable, people you really wanted to root for. My personal favorite gave such a bombastic showing I felt like they'd really brought him to life! The plot, also, was ripped straight out of Sunbow and given Hollywood star treatment. The big showdown was thrilling (man, I hate being so nonspecific, but y'know, spoilers).

MacGyver wrote:
I think this movie did much better than my initial expectations- it wrapped things up nicely for the most part, but definitely left room wide open for a sequel.

Didn't it, though? The first thing I thought when I saw that last shot was, "Ooh, is the next one going to start with Zartan and the Dreadnoks breaking Cobra Commander out of prison? Because that would be perfect! COBRA!" Whatever they end up doing, though, I'll be there for it; they did such a good job with this one, I'll trust 'em with another.

Requiem's alternate ending!
pauljuzza
Radical

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i was a kid, i watched GI Joe animated version on TV all the time. GI Joe Movie is also a very good rendition of the original GI Joe cartoon series.

jenniferhoops01
Radical

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G.I.Joe is really a fantastic movie. But i am not sure about G.I.Joe animated TV series.
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which G.I. Joe cartoon are you talking about? The original 1982 cartoon from Sunbow is a classic, as far as I'm concerned. I also enjoyed DIC's continuation of the series in the late '80s and early '90s.
G.I. Joe: Extreme and G.I. Joe: Sigma Six I don't care as much about though.

ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a new series coming out, too; G.I. Joe Renegades. It's supposed to be a prequel, featuring a group of G.I.'s targeted and framed by a suspiciously-named corporation. On one hand, I'm skeptical of the plot (how many origin stories is this, now?)... but on the other, none other than Michael Bell is in the voice cast. <3333

http://hubworld.com/shows-detail.htm#panel-5

Requiem's alternate ending!
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Hadn't heard about this one yet. Thanks for the info. Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm- the title screen looks cool- don't know about the animation though. It's okay, I guess- but I think I'd like something a bit more sharply defined. Anyway, the storyline sounds pretty neat- reminds me of The A-Team, though I'm sure this will be a more serious level.

ammysmith74
Radical

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey friendz,
how are you all... I only watched G.I.Joe Rise of Cobra movie
It's a good movie....But as other G.I.Joe animated movie , I never even heard about it.If anybody share with me about this then you can .... Is it Interesting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's TV and Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: