80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters Of The Universe Classics: Beast Man

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Masters Of The Universe Classics: Beast Man Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-fans and She-Ravers,

As the Masters of the Universe Classics line continues to bring new characters, it also continues to reissue previous releases at times to help those who missed out before. So let's take a look at one of the next figures who will be getting a reissue: Beast Man

Beast Man comes in the standard MOTUC packaging with the back of the box showing off other figures in the line as well as presenting a bio for the character:

-----------------------
Beast Man®, Savage Henchman™

After being banished from his home in the Vine Jungle, the beast man named Raqquill Rqazz joined up with a young alchemist named Keldor™ during a skirmish in the Berserker Islands. Like others of his race, Rqazz has the ability to control beasts and monsters. He currently uses this particular talent as chief henchmen to Skeletor®, the Overlord of Evil™.
-----------------------------------------

The bio isn't bad at all really, though it is rather short. The real name is a bit odd, at first it seems to be an attempt to spell out bestial growls and snarls but apparently is actually pronounced RA-KILL RA-KAZ. Not one of my favorite real names, but not as lame as some of the later ones that popped up. Most of the back story is taken straight from the 200X "Icons of Evil" comic book which was a great story and fits nicely. The only thing that bugs me is that, as I remember it, Beast Man's ability to control animals was always unique to him and not a normal trait of his race, making him special. Makes you wonder why Skeletor didn't try to find a smarter guy if they can all do the same thing. I guess loyalty counts for something.

Okay on to the figure itself. Beast Man actually introduces a new "furry" buck similar to the standard but sculpted with a hairy appearance. The sculpted fur is especially noticeable on his forearms and lower legs. On that note, this new sculpt has all the same articulation as the standard except for the "boot cuff" points. It makes sense since this is the figure's bare leg he can't have a boot cuff with no boot. Beast Man has a tendency to look shorter than other figures but this is due to the sculpt of his head presenting a hunched look, plus he is often posed with bent knees and ab crunch. The buck itself is actually the same size.

Beast Man's paint job is excellently done. White and blue facial markings stand out much better than the vintage figure. The detailing on the figure is great and really brings out features that didn't pop on the vintage. His hands and feet have savage claws, the spikes on his collar stand out much better, and he even has the little spiked brass knuckle device on his hand detailed in. Seriously did you ever even notice the vintage figure had that? Now that is amazing attention to detail!

Accessory wise Beast Man comes with his whip, which is modeled after the vintage figure's but done in a flexible plastic, instead of string. The vintage whip had a tendency to get frayed and destroyed. (Notice my vintage figure no longer has his.)

His chest armor/collar is removable though you have to take his head off to do so. His shoulder pads are not. The vintage shoulder pads were removable, (Though a bit of a pain to put back on) the 200X shoulder pads were sculpted onto the arms. For the Classics the shoulder pads are separate pieces from the arms, but are not designed to come off. It's interesting to note that like the previous two versions, Beast Man has one hand designed to hold weapons and the other cannot. However they gripping hand has been reversed and thus Classics Beast Man is left handed.

Beast Man is a real core character and a must have for any MOTU collection. The Classic's version perfectly captures that iconic right hand henchmen of Skeletor and I'm quite happy with him.

Beast Man will be reissued and available for purchase on Mattycollector.com on February 15th. Be warned though, this is the same day the new figures Sorceress and Fisto come out, not to mention the 30th Anniversary figure Fearless Photog, plus the first installment in Mattel's new Voltron line -so expect to see a lot of server traffic. Good luck, and until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: