80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters Of The Universe Classics: Skeletor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Masters Of The Universe Classics: Skeletor Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

With 2012 marking the 30th Anniversary of Masters of the Universe, Mattel has opted to put up some of the core characters in the Masters of the Universe Classics line with year round availability, instead of the usual limited runs. So let's take a look at the line's main villain; Skeletor

Skeletor comes in the standard MOTUC packaging, (The re-release featuring a "The Original" starburst) with the back showing off other figures from the line along with a bio for Skeletor:

-------------------------
Skeletor®, Evil Lord of Destruction™

Mortally wounded in battle with his half-brother Captain Randor™, Keldor™ turned to his dark-arts master Hordak™ to save his life. Merging Keldor™ with the extra-dimensional being Demo-Man™ from Despondos™, Keldor™ was forever changed into Skeletor®, Overlord of Evil™! He gathered together the greatest outcasts and evil warriors of Eternia® in his quest to gain entry into Castle Grayskull™ and obtain what he believes is the universe's ultimate power source.
-------------------------------------

You know ever since I was a kid, I've always thought "Evil Lord of Destruction" was kind of redundant. Is there a Heroic Lord of Destruction out there?

I should point out the original release did not mention Demo-Man by name as they didn't have the name trademarked at the time and it was added in for the re-release. As far as I'm concerned though the whole idea should have been left out. I do like the idea of Hordak's magic turning Keldor into Skeletor, but the idea of merging him with another being is where you loose me. I don't like the thought that maybe it's Demo-Man and not Keldor's mind making him do his evil deeds. (Demo-man's bio implies this was the case for a while) No, Skeletor is evil because Keldor is evil. Also the merging was supposed to explain why he now has the demonic arms and feet, but Demo-Man doesn't have them so where did they come from?

Other than that one -admittedly big- detail. I like this bio. Some fans don't like the idea of Skeletor being He-Man's uncle but I do. It's a classic theme in great literature and adds dimension to the characters. (I just wish they hadn't also added inter-dimension.)

Okay let's look at the figure himself. Skeletor uses much of the standard male buck but introduces new pieces. His forearms are done in a creepy spiked fin look that captures the appearance of the vintage figure. he has new hands as well with long skeletal fingers ending in claw like fingernails.

Something that was changed from the original to the reissue is his left hand. On the original it was more open which allowed him to better hold the wide top of his staff for two handed poses, but couldn't hold on to other weapons. For the re-release it was changed to a more closed hand that can hold normal weapons but makes the two handed staff pose harder to obtain. Both versions have their ups and down so there's not really a better one overall.

Skeletor also brings in new lower legs which have cool shin guards/boot tops. They are fitted with the calve swivel joint so no loss there. Finally his feet are done in a style that merges elements from both vintage and 200X. In the vintage style he wore boots with three toed claw like feet. In 200X Skeletor had more human looking feet and went barefoot. The Classics Skeletor is designed with the claw feet but they are done bare.

When seen side by side with both the vintage and 200X figures you can really see how the look is achieved.

And then of course there's his face, or lack there of. The skull look is perfectly carved and the paint job is (usually) great. Sometimes people have gotten Skeletor's with too much greenwash but the balance is usually done well. Deep in the eye sockets are small red dots creating the spooky mystical glow effect.

I'm a bit torn. I like this look for Skeletor, it's classic, it's cool -but I also like him with more human like arms and feet and a solid yellow skull as this is more like his Filmation appearance (or how about his look from the 1987 move?-awesome!) Skeletor is so awesome that either look works great for him and he is a superb figure.

Accessory wise Skeletor comes with his havoc staff -the sculpt on which is captured wonderfully- and a purple sword. The sword is done in a two tone metallic purple color that looks great and the handle is black making for a more distinguished look. Skeletor's armor features a sword holder on the back and is removable, though you have to take the figure's head off to do so. The head like most figures in the line is designed to easily pop off and on yet stays tight when attached. Note that unlike the vintage figure, his belt is not removable.

Skeletor also comes with a purple half sword which is designed to attach to the silver half sword that came with He-Man. As I mentioned in my He-Man review, this is both a nod to the story idea of the two halves of the Power Sword (which I also mentioned I wasn't fond of) and to the vintage toy. Sadly the halves really don't stay together well and tend to pop apart.

Now part of this is because the pieces are so thin they get bent easily and will show signs of stress if you try to bend them back. Later figures of Keldor and King Grayskull 2.0 came with two halves each and those ones did go together well, so the idea can work.

Overall Skeletor is a fantastic figure and a must have for any collector. Variants have followed such as Battle Armor Skeletor, and there was the one in the Toys R Us two-pack with Lex Luthor (that had the solid yellow skull look I like) but so far only the original has come with his all important havoc staff. Plus this is one of the most iconic looks for the villain.

Skeletor is available now on Mattycollector.com and will be for at least the rest of the year. Until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to let my cruddy camera take this post...

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not up on all things He-Man and She-Ra, but is that Hordak beating out Skeletor?....
Somehow it seems to me Skeletor would be the victor, but perhaps the hardcore fanbase would say differently...

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
I'm not up on all things He-Man and She-Ra, but is that Hordak beating out Skeletor?....
Somehow it seems to me Skeletor would be the victor, but perhaps the hardcore fanbase would say differently...

Ma-ha-ha

I wouldn't say I'm hardcore but as Skeletor once reported to Hordak and Hordak was actually able to take over his planet (and prevent She-Ra and He-Man from taking it back) I'm assuming he would win.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, okay- wow, didn't know that. Interesting.

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: