80sCartoons.net Forum Index

The Muppets!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's TV and Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: The Muppets! Reply with quote

Seen it yet?

Can we talk spoilers yet?

I was expecting it to be about the same quality as the other movies so I wasn't planning on seeing it in theatres but I caved last week and...and....I'm caving next week as well Very Happy Most I've laughed while watching a movie in a long time.

Season 4 now has no excuse not to come out now. I'm WAITING!

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARNING: BIG TIME Spoilers ahead

I SO want to see "The Muppets" again!!! Of course, as a huge Muppets fan, I'm kinda obligated to see it multiple times- lol.
But it really was great. Thankfully, most all my fears regarding Jason Segel writing it were allayed and it was kept very family friendly.
And it was genuinely funny and really had some great music. And for a Muppet fan, it was incredible seeing some LONG gone characters showing up- like say, Wayne & Wanda! (And they actually had a great scene-stealing scene!) And so many other characters- it's a shame that Rizzo and Robin were essentially reduced to quick background cameos, but at least they were there. Pepe got very little coverage too, but he did have one brief funny scene. (Of course, I wasn't overly concerned with him getting a lot of screen time since he's not really a classic Muppet and not really one of my all time favorite ones- but I like him okay, okay? Laughing )
And Walter and '80s Robot were great additions to the cast- and the whole Moopets thing was pretty funny too. There were definitely some things that could have been a lot more fleshed out- some of the picking up of the Muppets, for instance- and other things. (like the reason as to why Tex Richman would only say "Maniacal laugh" rather than actually do it- and there is a reason to this and it's a fairly crucial plot point. Oh well.)
It was quite good overall- and it was wonderful to hear Kermit and the gang singing "The Rainbow Connection" in theaters! Not to mention a bit of "Together Again" as well- and fitting too, since this movie was essentially a combination of "The Muppet Movie" and "The Muppets Take Manhattan" to a large degree- with some possible dashes of "The Great Muppet Caper" and even "Muppets From Space" to boot.
I've now seen the last four theatrical Muppet movies in theaters and that's pretty cool to be able to say- too bad I couldn't have seen the first three in theaters though. Anyway, I loved the movie regardless and can't wait to see it again!
As my nephew said of this movie, it was perfect! Very Happy Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes- and I definitely want to see Season 4 of "The Muppet Show" come to DVD soon!!! (And Season 5 as well, of course.) And all the various Muppet specials that have been done over the years. I really hope they will include "The Muppets At Walt Disney World" special on one of those DVD sets- with Disney now owning The Muppets, I don't know why they wouldn't release this obvious and easy cross-promotion piece. (Especially since it also features a hit song featured in two hit Muppet movies! Very Happy )
And definitely "The Muppets Go to the Movies" for the Season 5 set. It was produced in 1981 right after the end of the series and it feels like another episode of the show. It needs to be included. And I would love to see the making of "The Muppet Show" special, "Of Muppets and Men" as well. That one needs to be on one of these sets too.
And it would be wonderful to have "John Denver and The Muppets: A Christmas Together" on a separate DVD release sometime soon too!
And like I said- all the others as well- ("The Fantastic Miss Piggy Show", "The Muppets Celebrate 30 Years", "The Muppets Celebrate Jim Henson", "The Tale of the Bunny Picnic" and probably others I forgot...)
Oh yeah- I'd love to see unedited episodes of "Muppet Babies" get released to DVD in season sets, not to mention the spinoff series "Little Muppet Monsters" and the later series "Muppets Tonight!" And the little remembered, short-lived "Aliens in the Family" series while we're at it. And "The Secret Life of Toys" and "Dog City" too. And "The Jim Henson Hour" in its original airing format and unedited of course. Very Happy Cool
(Like I said before- I'm a huge Muppets fan.) Very Happy Cool

jbreesx77
Radical

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: The Muppets! Reply with quote

I have not seen this movie yet but it seems to be a great movie.

teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! Love talking spoilers Very Happy

The 80s robot was so cute!
I loved how they brought up when they were repeating things from the other movies. Like when they were rounding people up "how did we do it last time?" and Sweetums being left behind "not again!". I'm traveling by map next time I travel Smile

I just barely caught the maniacal laugh plot point and the ending was a little weak. We lost the theatre, let's celebrate!! (oh and the guy gave back the theatre and the muppet name). O...k. I heard the original ending was cut so it makes sense.

I didn't see Clifford (who I expected to see since he was a host...) and I wish some of the other characters got more screen time but I'm not terribly disappointed. I was a little worried about how they handled the cameos but they did a good job. I also loved how they stayed true to what the muppets would do. Kidnapping a guest star, very muppets minus kermit. Kermit living in a mansion? Not Kermit like. Kermit would live in a swamp, Piggy would live in a mansion. Oh? Piggy built the mansion and moved out? It makes sense! \o/

I did see Wayne and Wanda! I made joy sounds and my friends looked at me funny. The muppet knowledge is not strong with them yet. I think I also recall seeing marvin suggs and the muppetphone, don't quote me on that though, it's been a while and I maybe recalling a blur of muppets. Will find out tomorrow!

I'm hoping they will release Muppets Tonight too. Dog City was excellent as well (I think they've only released a special of it so far if memory serves me). I've seen a few of the others you mentioned but I'm mostly hoping for these two. ...and season 4

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marvin Suggs and the Muppaphones were definitely in the movie.
And yes- the bit with Sweetums running after the car again (and after even showing him back at Mad Man Mooney's) was a great homage to "The Muppet Movie". Of course, as the movie creators stated, that was exactly the kind of movie they were trying to make.
Yeah, I can't recall seeing Clifford in there either- but it's possible he may have been in the background somewhere.
Most of the Muppets from other productions ("The Jim Henson Hour" and "Muppets Tonight", for example)- if they were used at all, it was very sparingly. (like Pepe's appearance- which, though very brief, was still funny and appreciated.) But the movie writers and creators wanted to focus more on the classic cast of "The Muppet Show"- hence, a lot of the newer characters did not have much of a role in the movie, if any.
However, there were tons of classic characters that got to make an appearance, some of whom have not been seen in a Muppet production in years! (Marvin Suggs and the Muppaphones being one.) The Muppet monsters like Behemoth (or "Gene" as he was called in a promotional Disney Channel clip), Thog, The Mutations, Luncheon Counter Monster, Beautiful Day Monster, Droop, and of course Mahna Mahna and the Snowths- so many classic characters back in the movie.
That in itself was a lot of fun to see... And I also really liked Animal's "In Control" mantra- lol. Laughing
Like I said, I really want to go see this movie again soon!

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And regarding DVD releases, I hope Disney will strike while the iron is hot and release "The Muppet Show" Season 4, since now most kids who've seen "The Muppets" movie will be exposed to a lot of those classic characters again. I hope they do Season 4 and Season 5 of "The Muppet Show" first- but I will also be happy to see "Muppets Tonight" come to DVD soon too. And it'd be great to see "Dog City" released at some point as well. The "Dog City" special from "The Jim Henson Hour" has been released to DVD, but the series itself has still only been available on VHS and that's only a couple of episodes here and there. (I have 2 or 3 of them at home...)
And of course, I still want to see all the other Muppet shows and specials come to DVD soon- especially "John Denver and the Muppets: A Christmas Together"- that's one of my favorites of the Muppet specials and one of my favorite Christmas specials particularly as well. (Mainly because John Denver actually tells us the account of the first Christmas and Jim Henson had some beautiful puppets made for Mary and Joseph and Jesus, as well as the angels and shepherds and wise men. And The Muppets and John Denver sing "Silent Night" and John explains the origin of the Christmas carol. It's a very nicely done piece. Christ The Savior is born! Hallelujah! Very Happy Cool )

tabscorbet
Radical

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love reading spoilers..Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's TV and Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: