80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Favorite daring rescues?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Favorite daring rescues? Reply with quote

What do you think are the best pulse-pounding rescues performed by heroes of the 80's?

1. First, eternally number one, is the Ninja Turtles' introductory rescue of April O'Neil, the ultimate classic. Who can forget Shredder's minions closing in on her, only to find their weapons flying out of their hands with a, "Chill out, homeboy"? And then those obscured figures emerge from the shadows... how cool!

2. Since 'Silent Interlude' is a comic story, in G.I. Joe, I'll probably go with Lowlight riding to the rescue of his team on the back of his own nightmares in "Nightmare Assault." G.I. Joe is a series made of awesome rescues, but this one has an emotional punch, in that Lowlight's bad dreams are painful, not just frightening, and he still overcomes them when the others are in danger.

3. Egon wrangling Wat... while she was symbiotically leeching Peter... in "Mrs. Roger's Neighborhood." It's not quite as action-filled as some of the other rescues, as it's mostly the conversation as Egon re-tunes the proton packs while Peter tries to keep Wat from using his fingerprints to bypass security, but Lorenzo Music's performance here is amazing and it really piles on the tension and ups the stakes.

4. TIE! She-Ra rescues... uh, Princess Adora... and He-Man rescues, er, Prince Adam... in The Secret of the Sword and Disappearing Act. Taking their secret identities to the max, when He-Man and She-Ra are taken prisoner in their guises of Prince Adam and Princess Adora, they have to both escape, retrieve their swords, transform out of sight, and then make it look like they were rescued.

5. Another classic: Optimus Prime roaring to the rescue in Transformers: The Movie. The Autobots are fighting a losing battle, and then he barrels into the fight, cresting in his most epic fight with Megatron.

Honorable mention: One of the coolest rescues of the eighties unfortunately never happened, except on paper. I'm talking, of course, about that jaw-dropper at the end of Dungeons & Dragons: Requiem, the unproduced episode. As Hank clings to a sheer cliff face and Sheila, Bobby, and Diana battle an invulnerable monster, Eric finds himself facing an enraged Venger alone. At which point, conferring with Hank, he performs the most epic rescue to never happen on Saturday morning television. He uses that episode's McGuffin to free Venger from the control of the cosmic horror that's been tormenting him to madness. This unexpected act of mercy has a chain reaction that ends the episode on a so-happy-you-wanna-clap-and-cry note.

That's my list, but I'm sure I missed some great ones! What are your favorites?

Requiem's alternate ending!
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to think on this a while to list some, but all of those are pretty cool moments.
My favorites are particularly #1, #2, and #5.
I love G.I. Joe and they certainly have lots of great rescue moments. The last minute victory over Serpentor and Cobra in "G.I. Joe: The Movie" might also be another good one.

Definitely, the first introduction of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is a great one! It also reminded me of their first introductory scene in the first live action movie- way cool!

And certainly Optimus Prime coming to the rescue in "Transformers: The Movie"- awesome!

And anytime Lion-O holds up the Sword of Omens and yells out, "Thunder- Thunder- Thunder- ThunderCats- HOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!" and all the ThunderCats join together in battle- that's always an iconic scene for many rescue missions on the show. Very Happy

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! In Thundercats, there was the Tower of Traps episode, where Lion-O has to rescue the Thunderkittens from the titular prison. That was a great one!

Requiem's alternate ending!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: