80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Cartoons you used to hate but now suddenly love?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Cartoons you used to hate but now suddenly love? Reply with quote

I dont know about you, but this has been a HUGE deal for me ever since I realized we had a TV (around age 3, if Im correct Razz). There are some shows like Kimba the White Lion and Kissyfur which now love, but couldn't stand in any way, shape, or form back then (I think the dubbing had a lot to do with it, but letīs not jump to conclusions just yet, I could have been just too young to actually understand those shows at the time). But yeah, those were times of grabbing the remote as soonest as they showed up, and just go watch something else (and I have like ten others examples of that "behavior", but not every case has surpassed my initial reaction -and, for some, they just ended up reinforcing it-). My personal list is large, goes on practically forever, and includes lots of foreign toons, but there is one that I have been dodging with no particular reason for almost twenty years, and now that I have finally watched it, I feel incredibly dumb about the whole thing: Animaniacs.

My routine before going to school during the 90īs was something like this: wake up, eat breakfast, do all kinds of pointless things, and catch on the WB channel for some sitcoms or whatever while waiting for the Bus to take me to the mentioned place. It was a time of laughs and jokes (and lots of Full House). That was the exact thing I did over and over throughout that decade.

In 1997 -I believe- they finally took Full House off the air, and started the transmission of Bel Airīs Fresh Prince -which I really enjoyed- but they only had it for two weeks or so, and then Animaniacs took itīs place. I watched exactly three episodes with hardly any fun (though, I laughed a lot during the first one). And after a week, I only needed a glance to the Water Tower or three seconds of the showīs theme song to change the channel.

I know what you are thinking, but this show made itīs way to six channels at the time, making it really hard to dodge (and it was often at Prime Time in all of them!). But anyway, due to a terrible boredom, I decided to give it a go last week.

I dont know what has exactly changed, but before even realizing it, I had already watched 52 episodes! (fifty two!) and now Im looking for the DVD releases. Probably hearing the characters on their proper voices made the big difference (Bernadette Peters as Rita, and Sherri Stoner as Slappy are impossible to imitate, despite how talented the dubbing actors are). But yeah, I totally changed my mind with this popularly acclaimed masterpiece.

Im now digging the songs, the characters, the jokes... itīs not perfect, but gets really close (same feelings I now share with Kimba, Kissyfur, Tiny Toons Adventures, X-Men the Animated Series, Scooby Doo, Highlander and so on).

But how about you? has time changed your mind about a cartoon? Smile

Last edited by IceDragon on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:01 am; edited 4 times in total
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the recollections. Smile
I've had some shows that I've had reservations about but then when I watched them finally, I found that they weren't too bad and I actually liked them. I can't think of too many cartoons in that category though... Maybe Spongebob Squarepants (but I can't say I watch that all the time or anything- honestly, hardly ever these days- but I did used to watch it more regularly some years ago...)

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
Thanks for the recollections. Smile
I've had some shows that I've had reservations about but then when I watched them finally, I found that they weren't too bad and I actually liked them. I can't think of too many cartoons in that category though... Maybe Spongebob Squarepants (but I can't say I watch that all the time or anything- honestly, hardly ever these days- but I did used to watch it more regularly some years ago...)

Thanks for your awesome comment! and also for pointing out Sponge Bob, one of the few shows in which actually the opposite happened: My siblings and I used to love the first few seasons of that show but, as time went by, we have gradually lost any interest on it (and it doesn't actually helps that Nickelodeon has made a tradition to have a very long marathon of this show every now and then... way too often). I dont hate it, though, as they actually thought on keeping old episodes on air, and they still are very funny to watch.

Another one was something called Regular Show. It started being excellent, then got repetitive, then got bored, then got painful to watch, and I think it got cancelled after all, but I dont know.

BTW: A friend of mine just got me a copy of something called "Oliver and Company"... probably the only Disneyīs movie that I had never ever watched or even heard of. I looked it up a few times and found out that it was truly overshadowed by another movie -masterpiece, they said- called: "The Land before Time". I actually remember that last one, but yeah, I stuck with Oliver and Company for what itīs worth (my friend also owns that other movie and was ready to get rid of it for a few bucks).

Anyway, I honestly have to say that I haven't had almost no hope with this movie... for the fact that It was never on TV (as I can recall) and also because I didn't saw it on rent either.

I have only watched it once, but I liked what I saw. Sure, the animation is not perfect, the songs are mostly forgettable, and itīs bellow Disneyīs average quality, but I still feel like my time was invested and not wasted with this film (which is a lot more than I can say about lots of other movies). And also, it was really nice find another movie whose existence I wasn't even aware of, because I like to spend on my ancient collection of Disneyīs movies for the time my nephew can enjoy it (yes, Iīm some kind of lunatic when It comes to collect animation movies Razz).

And what does it has to do with the topic you may ask? I thought I would have hated it Razz!

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel bad saying that it took me a while to come around to Avatar The Last Airbender. Actually, quite a few things on Nickelodeon I was pretty shy of. Jimmy Neutron I was slow to warm to, but found it pretty funny after a while.

Regular Show is still on and getting new episodes, and I agree that it is getting a little too hip. All their retro love is getting old (or I'm getting too old!). Hey, get off my lawn!

I used to only watch Animaniacs for Pinky and the Brain. Having to sit patiently for it through the rest of the show I learned to enjoy it all.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen some of Regular Show- it can be pretty funny. I also agree that Spongebob Squarepants had some great episodes early on, but I haven't really been into it as much now. (But that show's been running since 1999!)
By the way, I love both "Oliver & Company" and "The Land Before Time"- both are great 1988 movies. Very Happy Cool

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
I feel bad saying that it took me a while to come around to Avatar The Last Airbender. Actually, quite a few things on Nickelodeon I was pretty shy of. Jimmy Neutron I was slow to warm to, but found it pretty funny after a while.

Regular Show is still on and getting new episodes, and I agree that it is getting a little too hip. All their retro love is getting old (or I'm getting too old!). Hey, get off my lawn!

I used to only watch Animaniacs for Pinky and the Brain. Having to sit patiently for it through the rest of the show I learned to enjoy it all.

Oh boy, I love Avatar: The Last Airbender! thereīs been like fifteen re-runs already and I cant get enough of it Laughing

BTW: Have you seen that awful live action movie based on the series? I tried to do it three times, then I gave up and looked for a review. I have no regrets for doing that, It just gets worse and worse as the movie progresses; this is definetely the best review of all. If you are curious, then go ahead and give it a go, but only for comedic purposes Laughing

And ya know? I forgot that Pinky and the Brain were actually part of that show. It doesnt matter, though, as I spent uncountable hours with their spin off shows: Pinky and the Brain, and Pinky, Elmyra, and the Brain (what a great part of my childhood, these guys had more fans than any other cartoon character I can remember).

As for Regular Show: when I was on DeviantArt, I subscribed to JG Quintel (the guy who created the show) as he loved to keep us up to date with new specials, episodes and so on. He was also very nice with his fans, but in early 2011 (I think) something had changed, as the people began to respond not quite well to the post in which newer episodes were Ŧpremierŧ. And shortly after that, the fan-art community started to get quiet (I was in like 19 groups at the time, and I noticed that updates were not that often anymore). I hope this show to be more like what it was, because I loved it.

MacGyver wrote:
I've seen some of Regular Show- it can be pretty funny. I also agree that Spongebob Squarepants had some great episodes early on, but I haven't really been into it as much now. (But that show's been running since 1999!)
By the way, I love both "Oliver & Company" and "The Land Before Time"- both are great 1988 movies. Very Happy 8

1999? I was only nine at the time, wow, just, wow. No wonder why I grew tired of it Laughing

Oliver and Company has a new fan here (just like The Fox and the Hound when I watched it last year... why do I keep missing these things? Razz).

EDIT: There is something that I need to say: I usually watch Animaniacs (and so the rest of my toons) late at night, and therefore I canīt laugh as hard as I want, because I risk waking everybody up... but, if there is something that's gonna assure me a permanent love with this series in the long run, itīs gather all my friends around and just laugh like maniacs with some of this toons (or better yet, sing all the songs of Rita and Runt for a week). But, I still managed to wake everybody up a few times XD

ReComposed
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't dislike it, but back when it first aired, for some reason I never watched Gatchaman. I don't remember why. I just didn't. Probably a schedule thing (Back In The Day, if something was on when I was in school/at daycamp/otherwise occupied, I might have been able to record it on a VHS tape, but more likely I just didn't get to see it).

I only know when I did watch a rerun one day, much, muuuuuch later, I was like, "Hey, I sorta remember seeing commercials or something for... WUT THIS IS THE COOLEST THING EVER WHY DID I NEVER WATCH IT BACK WHEN IT WAS ON TV." Anyway, Gatchaman is easily a favorite of mine now (although I haven't seen the reboot yet).

Requiem's alternate ending!
ReComposed
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw the Gatchaman reboot! Well, the first season. It's still airing. Not writing a detailed review, but a quick summary:

Pros: Great animation and visuals in general. Rui and O.D. are fascinating characters. GALAX is a great look at how an organization like Galactor could realistically come to exist and operate, and watching the Internet and one charismatic leader turn groups of scattered, dissatisfied people into those cat-helmeted extremists we all know and love was probably my favorite part of the first season.

Cons: Too much filler. Some of this was mandated (censorship forced them to cobble together a clipshow episode; I fast-forwarded it), some of it... less explicable (the heroes spend a whole episode chasing a few bottles of tainted milk).

Undecided on: Characters who aren't Rui and O.D. don't get a whole lot of development. I didn't dislike any of them, though, and since the series is ongoing, this could be remedied later. Also, I'm still on the "Sure, it's a good series, but is it Gatchaman?" fence - because it has a kind of 'origin story' feel, instead of starting with the team together and fighting Galactor/GALAX and their leader, showing how those dynamics formed in the first place, and I think the parallels might become stronger down the line.

Fangirl Corner ZOMG!: Not sure why some of the "legacy characters" were given the names they were. The character they named Berg Katse is actually a spot-on modernization of Gel Sadra (right down to being heroine Hajime's dark side running amok) while Rui is Berg Katse in all but name. Those aren't the only cases, but they're the most obvious to your Friendly Neighborhood Villain Fangirl. It'd be easier to just shrug and say, "hey, reboot" if I was thinking, "That's nothing like Berg Katse!" instead of, "That's Gel Sadra, talking to Berg Katse!"

Requiem's alternate ending!
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool- I didn't know there even was a new Gatchaman series running... of course, I don't really get into anime much to begin with- but cool to know. Thanks for posting the review! Very Happy Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Other Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: