80sCartoons.net Forum Index

ThunderCats 2011
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora
High Priestess of the Cartoons

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stoked. The fact that Snarf won't talk is not a drawback for me. The designs look pretty good. I think they could really have a great show, if they got good writers.

TSHARKfan1
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

booooo, hang the lazy character designrs! boots for everyone!

seriously, Tygra, Lion-O, Wilykit need to stop running around those treacherous terrains, without footwear.

Frankyh
Radical

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes ah, I see the preview. It will be interesting to see how, I think it will soon become today's children watch a favorite cartoon network, but I have seen other animated revival of the 1980s to the TV version, and rapid death too much, so I guess it could go either way.

TSHARKfan1
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boooooo, this show is lazy-minded drivel! the first episode was a disappointment, as was the "Ramlak rising" one, because the DAMN LAZY writers won't fix the casting mistakes.

riven3d
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was wondering what other thoughts were, ya I dont like this new version much

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder how long it will last- the last "He-Man" revival cartoon from 2002 surprisingly to me did fairly well and stayed around for a while.
I was stoked when I first heard of the new cartoon "G.I. Joe: Sigma Six", but then I saw the show and didn't care as much about it. There's a new G.I. Joe cartoon on The Hub now and I still don't care much for that either. Of course, "The Transformers" just keep trucking with new cartoon series after new cartoon series and I guess those have done well enough.
And then there's the 2003 version of "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" which was a pretty good version- and there's supposed to be yet another TMNT series coming from Nickelodeon soon.
Other perhaps lesser remembered '80s cartoon revivals include Ghostbusters and Voltron, neither of which lasted terribly long, I think.
And then there's all the girl-geared shows like My Little Pony, Care Bears and Strawberry Shortcake.
So maybe this version of "ThunderCats" will improve over time- but I don't think it will ever replace the classic '80s cartoon for me. I guess this is the nature of things- most every successful cartoon series gets brought back at some point, usually with established franchises like Scooby-Doo or Looney Tunes, etc. I wonder how long it will be before we start seeing '90s cartoons get revived.... of course, I'm not sure that I have many I would want to see make a comeback- although I do love "2 Stupid Dogs" and "Eek!Stravaganza" Very Happy Laughing Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
TSHARKfan1
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just don't understand, what goes through those morons' minds, over at WB, and just stick with the original product and concept, detail for detail?

just like the TF movies, i swear that Michael Bay needs to get slapped, for how many changes he made, and misnaming so many of the characters.

DM613
Radical

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm usually just as blessed to watch the aboriginal '80s archetypal absolutely- but I apperceive a lot of ThunderCats admirers are blessed to see this. I've heard that Snarf won't allocution in this animation admitting and I am kinda aghast with that. Oh able-bodied- at atomic he's still there.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah- I forgot one other '80s cartoon that recently got a revival- "Pound Puppies"- I remember watching this as a kid. I just saw an article that Betty White is going to voice one of the characters on the new cartoon airing on The Hub.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found a very interesting rumor regarding the new ThunderCats cartoon- supposedly the SilverHawks and TigerSharks are to make appearances! Cool
http://www.behindthevoiceactors.com/tv-shows/TigerSharks/
I haven't cared too much about the new show to be watching it, but that would definitely get me interested and watching! Very Happy

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the SilverHawks and TigerSharks cameo should air in tonight's episode of the 2011 ThunderCats series- "Legacy"
Check out a sneak peek capture here-

Looks like a version of Monstar and Mako there, definitely. And I suppose perhaps that's supposed to be Tally Hawk in there too?
I get the impression that it may not be much more than a very quick "blink and you miss it" type cameo- in which case, it's not nearly as exciting...but anyway- the episode airs tonight on Cartoon Network at 8:30 PM (Eastern Standard Time). I'm looking forward to checking it out! Very Happy Cool

TSHARKfan1
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i watched that damn disgrace of a referral to the other series' characters, and it makes me sick.

ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to preface this with two things: one, for the most part, I've liked the reboots of He-Man, TMNT, and Transformers: Animated, so I'm not running this show through a nostalgia filter. Two: I am really not trying to be mean.

I missed the first few episodes and came in at "Old Friends." That was a great ep, and left me optimistic. However, having now seen two more, neither of them have impressed me the way that one did.

First, in the Tower of Omens. Overall it was okay, but I was thrown by a last-act mistake on Mumm-Ra's part: (spoiler) When he and Lion-O are racing to the top of the tower in order to get the Book of Omens, Mumm-Ra cheats by going Everliving and flying. Good move! Only then, when he inevitably wins... he just stands there and waits for Lion-O to catch up, while I am shouting, "DUDE. IT'S RIGHT THERE. JUST GRAB IT AND LEAVE," as if my favorite mummy is the ditzy heroine of a slasher movie. There's no 'you can't have it because you cheated' spell on the book. He doesn't even give a lame "I wanted to see the look on your face at my triumph!" excuse. He. Just. Stands. There. And. Lets. Lion-O. Win.(end spoiler) While I'd dug the rest of the episode, that ended it on a sour note. But, okay, I said to myself; it's no worse than the time Skeletor fought his way through the heroes to "escape" when he was "cornered" against Castle Grayskull's wide-open door.

Then, in Legacy. Okay, the original Thundercats had a silly streak. I will admit that. One of its more infamous eps involved the use of spicy takeout food as a plot device. The thing was, that streak was intentionally silly. When, in this episode, Mumm-Ra and Lion-O (spoiler) suit up in mechanical battle armor and fight in micro-g outside the Black Pyramid while it's floating in space (end spoiler) I am not entirely sure it was meant to be as amusing as I found it (it wasn't just me, either. A friend who was in and out of the room while I was watching the show happened to walk in on that part and immediately started giggling). On a more complimentary note, Mumm-Ra looked smashing.

I'm also going to have to go fangirl for a second here: so few episodes in, there's room for it to turn around, but so far, I've been left a little chilly by what this series is doing with Mumm-Ra, one of my favorite characters, like, ever. I will admit it's a huge improvement over his portrayal in the comics (I need not mention why for anyone who's read them, and would rather spare you if you haven't), but it is ultimately making a milder version of the same mistake: in an attempt to show that Mumm-Ra is SERIOUS BUSINESS, it omits three of the things that made him interesting. The first is his coy sense of humor; I've seen nothing along the lines of his opening banter in Doom Gaze, or the several times he broke into Cats' Lair seemingly just to do the spooky arcane equivalent of TP'ing the place. The second is his genuine personal belief, right or wrong, that he is the injured party; remember in Pumm-Ra, when he dresses down the 'Cats at the end with something to the effect of, "I live here! You're the invaders!" Third, and most unique among villains of his era, is that he's not combat-centric and, in fact, seems to belong to the "more flies with honey" school of thought; his preferred technique is bribing, followed by other types of manipulation. IMO, these kinds of villains are scarier than the ones who come out the gate swinging, and I haven't gotten that from Reboot Mumm-Ra (except slightly in 'Old Friends').

I know I must seem like I'm being negative, but I am enjoying the show and I do think, this early on, there's plenty of room for more installments like Old Friends. I also realize that, having missed the first few episodes, my concerns might very well have been addressed in those. Also, I do have to give them credit for (so far) working in the Thundercats' sprawling elements coherently. But I've seen some things I consider red flags, too.

Requiem's alternate ending!
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the review, ReComposed. Nicely done.
As I'm sure I've said elsewhere, I grew up watching ThunderCats as a kid in the '80s and it's hard for me to ever find anything to eclipse the nostalgia of that cartoon. So from the outset, I don't generally always like remake versions of the '80s cartoons (could be because I haven't had real great experiences with some of the others, like G.I. Joe: Sigma Six for instance...)
But anyway- the new ThunderCats cartoon doesn't seem to be too bad, but I'm not all that terribly impressed with it either. I wish there was more to the theme song for one thing, but I guess that's a minor quibble.
And I really prefer the '80s animation style to this current one- the '80s show was a blend of Japanese and American animation styles that I really like- (which is interesting for me because I generally like very few anime shows- I usually just don't like the style of anime in general)
But as to this specific episode, "Legacy"- I saw the episode and it was not anything near as good as I might have hoped as far as SilverHawks and TigerSharks cameos. It was just a very quick cameo that I don't know if it could even really count as that- but I did see a character that looked a good bit like Monstar and another that looked like Mako and that was about it.
It definitely wasn't what I was expecting when I first heard about it. But if even that little appearance is enough to get DVDs for SilverHawks and TigerSharks released, then I'm happy for that. Smile

avaviney
Radical

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YIPEE!! FINALLY!!Very Happy

TSHARKfan1
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone refer me to a site, that has the new episodes stored? i dont trust CN to not have TCats stored in pieces, like with Venture Bros.

overload
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I've liked what I've seen. however since I'm not in the States I need to use other means to actually watch this. The Cartoon Network here takes ages to bring any new shows.

I've been hitting Youtube. There's a user there by the name of CadeCreighton that has all the episodes in 2 parts sadly, and some are mirrored, but other than that they are very watcheable.

In any case, for the show overall I think they are doing a good job, and there's bound to be an epsiode here and there that's less than stellar. But so far the story line has progresses rather well, and we've gotten hints of other characters.

As far as the cameos go, I think it was great, that's wait cameos are supposed to be. If you know the characters then you get the reference. As far as the flying thing in Mac's pic up there that's actually a Vulture man, not a reference to Silverhawks, that slot was taken up by Mon-Star

They are basically foreshadowing the appearance of the other mutants like Jackal-Man, and Vulture-Man.

As far as the armors go and the fight I saw nothing funny, and just so there's no confusion, that wasn't Lion-O fighting Mumm-Ra in armor it was his ancestor Leo.
[spoilers]
And it was trying to establish Mumm-Ra's original control of Third Earth before these Thundercats appeared. And how Leo actually sacrificed himself to to seal mumm-ra in his coffin until Grune let him out many years later.
[/spoliers]

But all in all I think it has a promising start, if Cartoon Network doesn't kill it. As far as the DVD is concerned, I think I'll wait until we get a full season before going out of my way to get it.

Toytainment Blog
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification on Vulture man, overload- I should've figured that out. Laughing

The one episode I saw- "Legacy"- was pretty decent but I wasn't overly stoked about it or anything. But I agree that it does have promise- perhaps it will surprise me and last for a while. I just keep thinking of other short-lived '80s cartoon revivals that were just not much good at all... but on the other hand, there have been a few that have been pretty decent and lasted for a while. So we'll see how it goes.

overload
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Prob. New Episode coming up this Friday, and its going to be a two-parter

Toytainment Blog
ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

overload wrote:
As far as the armors go and the fight I saw nothing funny, and just so there's no confusion, that wasn't Lion-O fighting Mumm-Ra in armor it was his ancestor Leo.

Oh, I know. I was being deliberately vague about stuff that might be considered spoilerish so I wouldn't have to blank out so much. The thing I found funny was, I thought Leo's armor looked like a cuddly stuffed animal; and the more seriously context demanded I take it, the funnier that became.

That said, I thought The Duelist and the Drifter was excellent. It might just be my tastes gravitate more towards those kinds of stories.

Requiem's alternate ending!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Other Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: