80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Cartoons being turned into Films - Thoughts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stinm
Radical

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Cartoons being turned into Films - Thoughts Reply with quote

Well to be honest I'm not the biggest fan.

I think if cartoons are to be turned into films firstly they should be made as an animated feature before taking the step into film.

Secondly Im not the biggest fan of all these 3d effects and special featured and much prefer tight animation.

I'm just trying to think of films that did their cartoon versions an justice and can't find any off the top of my head.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay- so do you mean like when Transformers got "Transformers: The Movie" in 1986? (an animated feature, as you said.) And G.I. Joe had "G.I. Joe: The Movie" in 1987. There are a number of examples like that for various '80s cartoons and so forth.
I think those are certainly good. There's also "Jetsons: The Movie", which I thought was great.
Now there's also been some of the live action versions of cartoons- and that's tricky too.
Some have come off really well and some not that great.
"Scooby-Doo" and "Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed" come to mind for the not really great, mainly because they were basically parodying the cartoon series rather than being faithful to it. (Though I did enjoy the second movie just to see all the various villians coming to life.) And the new "Scooby-Doo: The Mystery Begins" live action straight-to-video movie beats both of the first two theatrical films as far as I'm concerned. I really enjoyed that one! (And I love how they recreate some of the classic opening sequences at the end.) Very Happy
And then there's still others- the Transformers movies and the G.I. Joe movie. The first Transformers movie was pretty decent- I liked the second one okay in that it had a decent story- unfortunately it was buried in so much trash that I really didn't care for the movie.
But I was thrilled with the G.I. Joe movie- that one was great! I can't wait to see a sequel for this one. YO JOE! Cool
I also enjoyed both of The Flintstones live action movies (though I still hate that a cashier cursed in the first movie- so unnecessary and all just to get a "PG" rating...)
Anyway- there's also the "George of the Jungle" movies, which are hilarious. (And yes, the direct-to-video sequel really is worth it.) I also really love "Dudley Do-Right" and "The Adventures of Rocky & Bullwinkle". Those movies are hilarious! And while I'm mentioning Rocky & Bullwinkle, there's also another live action movie from the '80s I believe called "Boris & Natasha"- I don't know if that one's as good.
I've always enjoyed the 1980 "Popeye" movie- I thought Robin Williams and Shelley Long were great casting choices. They really looked the part. Both "Space Jam" and "Looney Tunes: Back in Action" were pretty good too, for that matter.
I haven't seen the "Alvin and the Chipmunks" movies yet, so I don't know about those. I did enjoy the "Garfield" movies though. Don't know about this upcoming "Marmaduke" movie though. We'll see how that goes.
And the "Dennis the Menace" movies are cool too. (Though technically that's based on a comic strip and not necessarily the '80s cartoon I grew up watching.)
And I enjoyed both of the "Inspector Gadget" movies- I've always loved the cartoon and the movie versions really weren't too bad.
I haven't seen the live action "Masters of the Universe" movie, so I can't say how great that is compared to the "He-Man" cartoon.
But I have seen the "Garbage Pail Kids" movie and enjoyed that one well enough- though it's based more on the trading cards than the late '80s cartoon series. (I enjoyed the cartoon series as a kid- it's still fun now- and not nearly as bad as one might think.)
I can't think of too many others offhand- but I am still wanting to see the "Yogi Bear" movie I've been hearing about- and I think a live action movie for "The Jetsons" would be really cool too.
And what about that live action movie for "Voltron" and "ThunderCats"? That would rock. Very Happy

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
there's also another live action movie from the '80s I believe called "Boris & Natasha"- I don't know if that one's as good.

I really want to see that one but it's hard to find. Let me know if you ever get to watch it.

I do agree with stinm on the 3d effects. I'm fine with them but only when they are done well. Those movies that focus on them rather then the plot I find really annoying (Spy Kids, Shark Boy and Lava Girl...etc)

I am a big fan of the animated movies and encourage people to make more but I gotta admit, some of the live action movies are just awesome. Some of them have gone horribly wrong but have really hated them. Ok, the He-Man movie. This movie was terrible. ....but I really liked castle Greyskull and Skeletor did a good job. I probably would have loved it if Evil-lyn stabbed Skeletor in the back and took all of Castle Greyskull's power for herself that she is supposed to...but i'll let it go...eventually. So overall, but not genre defining.
Most of the movies I found okay, but not great. Basically all the ones MacGyver mentioned i found were just okay. Nothing you would find in my collection but I would still watch on tv.
A lot of the movies comming out recently are really doing a good job. G.I.Joe, Transformers, Batman (ok, comic). I think the problem is with animated shows you don't have many limitations and it's taken a while for special effects to catch up in order to do them justice. There will always be a movie that will concentrate to much on the special affects, all we can do is prey it wont be a cartoon based one.
...and the 1st chipmunk movie wasn't bad...but very family orentated. Good for the little ones. I kinda want to see the squeakquel...it has Chippetts...
Also, there is a live action Sailor Moon. ... I need to see....at least for kicks Smile

stinm
Radical

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess what i am saying is before making the film there should be a animated feature released just like there was for Transformers The Movie where optimus prime dies.

Also it gets to me when feature films are made and they don't stay true to the original story line. Like in Transformers what's the deal with Megatron not being a gun.

Street Fighter two is another example where the animated feature was awesome but the feature film starring Van Damme was mediocre.

Maybe I should stop my winge and just enjoy what's on offer lol.

bondservant4jesuschrist
Radical

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: 80s cartoons into movies (films) Reply with quote

I think the easiest ones to make and be good are ones that have human characters in cartoons, like the same way they made the Flinstones, although technically not an 80s cartoon, it was a good crossover to film. I think that would be cool to have a live action Jetsons, although the actual animated Jetsons Movie was pretty good. I am still waiting for a Rainbow Brite live action although it's hard to fit that into the real world, but they are doing that with the Smurfs with the ol' classic they come from their fantasy world to ours bit. I never get tired of that one. Razz

Although I did like Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer animated movie. I think they are gonna make Thunder Cats movie, which is pretty easy cause they can just put make up on humans for that kind of movie. Oh yeah and why not Jem. She was a human. I think it would make a good premise for a movie. I don't know how they would get away with the 80s look, maybe the kind of thing they did with the Brady Bunch movie, where the characters are like stuck in the past fashion and all.

I'm sure if I think about it more I could think of a lot of ways to make 80's cartoons into movies. But I am also looking forward for the wave of 90's cartoons turned movies, next. Smile

---
www.smilesandstuff.com

Reaper Cloud
Radical

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's garbage, plain and simple. Someone needs to change the "Hollywood" sign to "Remakewood". Ideas are no longer needed in the movie business apparently, since the brains behind these studios just look to the past and will use that to try and make their all-so-important millions.

Transformers was garbage, and the second one was a pure joke! G.I. Joe was so bad, that you might think that they did it on purpose. The trailer for the Smurfs was almost vomit-inducing...since they have to have the Smurfs interact with a HUGE ****ing city!! Of course it's New York, since only two cities exist in the USA, New York and Los Angeles.

Thundercats might be good, but I doubt it. Avatard fans will say "They copied Avatar!", and they will also be too young to even know what Thundercats is even about, making their opinion useless.

I'm just lucky that most of the 80's cartoons are on DVD, and if some crappy remake is done for a cartoon that isn't on DVD yet...then it probably will be just for the greed behind it (make more money from the title film).

I have yet to see an 80's cartoon in the theater, or to own one on DVD. I think I'll continue with this habit. Cool

TSHARKfan1
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me, Bionic Six and Tigersharks are 2 definite choices for me, IF the studio morons can keep from putting everyone in black suits.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Transformers was garbage, and the second one was a pure joke! G.I. Joe was so bad, that you might think that they did it on purpose.

I thought the first Transformers was okay- if not for all the explicit language and crude jokes, etc. in there. And sheer over-the-top violence. All of that could've been toned down (or better yet out) and made for a much better movie. The second was definitely horrible. I imagine I'll wind up seeing the third one but I hope it is better than the last one.
But I will say that I actually really enjoyed G.I. Joe - it wasn't everything I had hoped it could be but it was fun for what it was.
I'd love to see more obscure cartoons like Bionic Six and TigerSharks come to the movies- but I feel that more prominent ones like ThunderCats would have to come first before studios would bother with those. (Though if they're going to do ThunderCats, it'd be great to have SilverHawks and TigerSharks to accompany it.) Smile

ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm both skeptical of and frustrated by live-action film adaptions of animated series, I admit it. Many of these shows have so much potential as movies, and so few of them have really managed to take advantage of it. Off the top of my head, the only adaption I can think of that managed to be both a good movie and really nail what the comic and cartoon were about was the first Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - that's rightfully a classic. There are also a few that turned out well in spite of their differences, like G.I. Joe. Most of the time, however, I find adaptions to be a little hollow.

Many of the problems come from practical, technical sources. These cartoons were huge. They had giant character rosters, three or four seasons of episodes (back when seasons were twice as long as they are today), their own technologies and terminologies, and old cliffhanger-style episodic stories that knitted together. They had cartoons, comics, and toylines that were sometimes aimed at completely different audiences. It's impossible to squeeze all of that into a single film, but in deciding what to include and what to omit, it's just too easy for the filmmakers to include and omit the wrong things, losing the distinctive flavor that keeps fans coming back. With non-linear "quilt stories," it's also difficult to pinpoint what exactly the movie should be about. Should they adapt a single episode? Try to condense an entire season? Follow the cartoon or the comic? Snap a scene from this episode, this issue of the comic, and try to weave them into the same plot? Every one of these challenges presents new and exciting opportunities for the poor overwhelmed screenwriter/script committee to mess up.

Also, as much as I want to be generous, I have seen far too much hubris from "serious" filmmakers concerning cartoons, especially those from the early Renaissance. Certain unnamed people involved in adapting these properties to film do not know- do not want to know- what they're about. They think they're "dumb toy shows" and nothing you say will change their minds. They don't care that some of the most respected and prolific science fiction authors worked on those "dumb toy shows." They don't care that the toys were made from the shows just as often as the shows were made from the toys (Silverhawks is the most obvious example. It's easy to assume it was tailored for merchandising, but on the recent DVD, its creators describe a much different and more interesting development process). How can you expect to get a decent film when the people making it have such a clueless, disrespectful attitude towards the source material?

So, while I would like to see more movies- especially Inhumanoids- I'm also afraid of what they'd do to it.

EDIT: There's one film I'd really like to see, maybe as a direct-to-DVD animated movie: D&D Requiem. For those who don't know, there was a finale episode of Toei's Dungeons and Dragons that was written but never animated, in which the characters do finally manage to get back home. The radio show was excellent and I listen to it periodically, but if someone got Michael Reaves to expand his undeveloped script and then adapted it into a feature-length film, oh man, I would be all over that.

Also, word to TSHARK about the Black Hole Suits, inescapably sucking the life out of movie wardrobes everywhere. A black suit is classic; an identical line of old black wetsuits with matching football pads is just lazy. I know they always say more faithful and unique costumes are "unachievable on film," but since I've seen Judge Dredd and Coppola's Dracula, I know they're lying. Laughing

Requiem's alternate ending!
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black suit thing was definitely an issue for me with the X-Men films, even though I enjoyed them well enough. And I have no idea why it was so hard to get Frank Castle wearing a skull T-shirt in "The Punisher" movies. (at least for the 1989 Dolph Lundgren original. They finally did for the last two films and from what I hear, it didn't really help anything unfortunately.)
And I will agree that the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" films are great adaptations of the cartoons and comics. I've always enjoyed all of the movies, but the first is probably the best. (I still quote lines from that movie at random sometimes. "Major league butt kicking is back in town!" Laughing )
I don't get into D&D, but that movie idea does sound interesting.
I think what happens too many times is what happened with the Scooby-Doo movies. (The 2 theatrical ones anyway.) Those movies played into every stupid stereotype ever associated with the classic "Scooby-Doo, Where Are You?" cartoon without ever really, say, watching an actual episode of the show. It was a huge parody and mockery of the series and not really faithful to the show. I don't mind a slight nod to something here and there and maybe even a quick cameo of some sort- but I really get tired of things that are incredibly out of character- like having Shaggy and Scooby both stoned on marijuana and putting Fred and Daphne in a deeper romantic relationship than ever seen on the show. (Although that image has changed in recent cartoons.) And let's not even get into the rumors with Velma.
And actually having Scrappy-Doo as the villian in the first movie- that was horribly out of character and so distant from the actual cartoons that featured Scrappy. He was always a lovable and loving puppy ready to charge into action and extremely and fiercely loyal to his uncle Scooby and his friends. Moviemakers took the extremely stupid hatred that so many people seem to have for this character and poured it into the movie because it's cool with some to hate on Scrappy.
I, for one, never had a problem with Scrappy. It's not like he's my favorite character but I like him just fine and it's fun watching the different shows and movies that he appears in.
(And it really is a pretty irrational thing to think that Scrappy somehow killed the Scooby-Doo shows when he was actually introduced to help revitalize the franchise and became one of the most popular characters on the various series.)
But anyway- I would hope for more live action movie adaptations closer to The Flinstones in Viva Rock Vegas. I thought that one did really well. I like "The Flinstones" movie pretty well too- but I really hated the clerk using a curse word (just to snag that PG rating for the demographics- when you would absolutely never hear it on the cartoon.)
(And there's also the matter of Halle Berry's outfits too.)
I'm so glad Bill Cosby maintained control of the "Fat Albert" movie. He made it true to his cartoon series and made it what a cartoon movie adaptation should look like. I saw this one in theaters and really enjoyed it. I hope more cartoon to live action movie adaptations can be like this.

GrimmTeather
Radical

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The greatest thing that comes out of these horrible movies is all the accompanying merchandise gets repackaged and put into shops. I read this somewhere.. this is also the reason so many movie remakes are being done - the advertising is already half done. Knowledge of the film already exists and it adds to the hype.
So... I'm all for this live-action movie thing because it'll bring the cartoons out, remastered, repackaged and easy to find. Same goes for the classic movies.
The most recent example I witnessed.. James Bond. When a new Bond movie came out, all the old movies were repackaged and thrown on shelves.

Bilbo
Radical

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some things I really do not like about the Transformers movies such as: Sam, Sam's parents, the foul-mouthed twin autobots, and the choices of cars. The special effects are incredible so the movies are somewhat enjoyable.

GI Joe however is one of the worst films I've ever seen in a theater.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with you about "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" being pretty awful, but I actually liked "G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra" pretty well. Maybe just because I'm a big fan of the 1980s G.I. Joe cartoon and toys and it was just fun for me to finally see a live action version of my childhood favorite cartoon. Smile
Not saying it was perfect, but I didn't think it was really bad or anything either. It was still better than the 2nd. Transformers movie at any rate.

Bilbo
Radical

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the black suit issue w/ the X-Men films, I thought it was director Brian Singer playing it safe. When I 1st heard about the X-Men finally getting the green light, I thought it would be impossible to pull off. Comic books are too over the top visually to translate well to the screen.

Singer took a conservative approach and it worked. He was smart not to make the film to colorful. Even Cyclops made a joke to Wolverine about it. Wolverine complained about the black leather and Cyclops said, "Would you prefer yellow spandex?" Brilliant!

I was very impressed w/ the 1st X-Men film. I thought it would be a disaster but turned out to be a very good movie.

Sam Raimi took a bolder approach w/ Spider Man putting him in the classic blue and red costume. And, it looked great.

I believe X-Men (and to an extent Blade) paved the way for all of the other comic book movies. And in a way, Spider Man also broke new ground w/ colorful costumes.

Hollywood running out of ideas a few years ago was the best thing to happen to Pop culture. Now, Hollywood looks to comic books, graphic novels, plays, old TV shows, and even re-making old films.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Blade and to a greater extent the X-Men movies helped pave the way for more superhero movies throughout the last decade.
And of course, there were plenty that came before those as well - mainly the Batman movies, Swamp Thing movies, Howard the Duck and my favorites- the Superman movies. Very Happy (and Supergirl) Cool

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: