80sCartoons.net Forum Index

'80s Cartoons Incomplete or Unavailable on DVD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chenchukon
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: '80s Cartoons Incomplete or Unavailable on DVD Reply with quote

There are a few series from the 80's that although not released yet by the studios many of the episodes found their way on the web. Some short series, were taken down after being available for very short while, probably by menacing those that posted them. Among the more interesting are: CBS Storybreak-8 episodes unavailable; CB Bears-8 episodes missing Heyyy, It's the king-12 episodes missing Shake Rattle and Roll-11 episodes missing Undercover Elephant-11 episodes missing Popeye and Son-7 episodes missing 3 Series about Puppies all missing episodes Little Wizards-13 episodes missing.

This only a sample of series from the 80's which I liked and are not released I'm sure that there are many, many other series that people like which haven't been released, and that is a pitty.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea for a topic, Chenchukon! Smile Cool

Just to clarify though- CB Bears is an hour long compilation show from the 1970s- it contained many different segments, among them being CB Bears, Blast-Off Buzzard, Heyyy, It's The King, Posse Impossible, Shake, Rattle & Roll and Undercover Elephant. It ran for 13 episodes in 1977.

And unfortunately, none of the episodes seem to be available on DVD yet.

The Wikipedia page for the show offers episode guides for all the episodes and the individual segments though, so that's helpful.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CB_Bears
(You may also enjoy this playlist on Youtube.)

For The Puppy's Adventures series, as I mentioned in this thread, I have seen at least one episode posted on Youtube, but no official DVD release as of yet.

As to Little Wizards, as I mentioned in this thread, it has had at least one official VHS release in NTSC in North America and a number of VHS releases in PAL format in Germany. I have not seen any official DVD releases for it yet, though.

Popeye and Son is a great cartoon series too. I remember watching this as a kid and thought it was a funny shake-up on the classic Popeye formula because Popeye's son hated spinach and didn't ever want to eat it. But when he did, of course he got strong like his sailor man dad and could beat up Bluto and his son Tank too.
Some episodes of this series have been released to DVD in Australia and the UK, according to its Wikipedia page.

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Chenchukon
Gnarly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Macgyver,

I searched everything available in wikipedia and similar sources looking for clues as to where I might find those episodes.

There were partial pieces of info that 20th Century Fox Australia's Southern Star might take on the release of some of the mentioned series for the local market. But there is nothing definitive.

Maybe you know more than that.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. If you're referring to the Popeye & Son series, all I know is that back in 2008, a DVD release was considered for Region 1, but was dropped due to low sales of previous Popeye DVDs. (Not of the Popeye & Son series though.)
However, the UK and Australia did go through and release that Popeye & Son DVD, so it has seen a release there. I really don't know much more on it than that.

Chenchukon
Gnarly

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1983 to 1990 Alvin & The Chipmunks cartoon series is definitely a great candidate for this list. Thankfully, it has had numerous VHS and DVD releases. Unfortunately, there has yet to be a season DVD release for the show. Thus, all the episodes released have been on various compilation sets and it can be confusing to get an exact count of what is and isn't available. I'd love to see this entire series on DVD soon- it was one of my favorite shows as a kid. Very Happy Cool

Aurora
High Priestess of the Cartoons

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that part of the issue with getting Alvin & the Chipmunks on DVD is the music rights. That can get expensive.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure that may well be a big factor in it. The music is of course what the cartoon is chiefly known for, since the Chipmunks started out as music recording stars to begin with- and so I would think it is important to fans to see all the music get released with the cartoon.
Speaking of music-heavy cartoons, here's another that may never see a full DVD release- Kidd Video. I loved watching this as a kid, but all those 1980s music videos that aired during the cartoon are most likely a big legal pain to secure rights for, not to mention expensive.

Aurora
High Priestess of the Cartoons

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the reruns of Kidd Video, they often swapped out music for something they could get rights to more cheaply.

Kidd Video is such an odd show that I doubt we'll get to see it released.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah- there have been a few VHS releases, but even those had the music videos dropped. (Though original songs from the series are still intact, from what I understand.)
Thankfully, kvflipside.org has archived so much on this series- a great resource for fans of the show. (Along with Italian site-http://kiddvideo.altervista.org/)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: