80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Most memorable scenes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReComposed
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Most memorable scenes Reply with quote

I was going to make this post about the scariest scenes in 80's cartoons, but when I started making my list, all kinds of un-horrific things began to creep into it, so I decided to rename it most memorable scenes instead. So, what scenes from your favorite shows burn most brightly in your minds? I know there are probably way too many to list! Here’s my (incomplete) attempt:

Dungeons & Dragons: Eric standing up to Venger in Day of the Dungeonmaster. I’ll admit it, Eric is my favorite character. I love all the slow-building, meaningful little touches he got each episode, and this is the scene where they all come together: cornered by Venger and suddenly without his powers, Eric doesn’t crumble; he comes out swingin’! Also, his speech is hilarious (“Only one of us will survive this, and it’s NOT going to be me! ...that’s not right...”).

Inhumanoids: Sandra’s transformation, from the opening miniseries. This is still unsettling to watch, even after all these years. The heroine sees her brother Blackthorne dealing with the undead menace, D’Compose. She runs out to confront the former and winds up getting scratched across the face by the latter. Sure, we all know what happens to people who get scratched or bitten by the undead... but this sequence is slow and gruesome, especially for a kids’ show, and the way she starts out begging her allies for help but ends threatening them is chilling.

She-Ra: My Friend, My Enemy, the ending. For those who haven’t seen it, this is a Spoiler: Hordak is fading fast under a curse. All he needs to save himself is the tears of someone who’ll be sorry when he’s gone, but this has proven to be an impossibility, as even his former teacher and the only kind person he knows is so angry with what he’s become, he can’t bring himself to mourn his passing. Just as it looks like Hordak is doomed... She-Ra bursts into tears. This gets me every time I see it.

Transformers: It’s an easy answer, but the fight between Megatron and Optimus Prime atop Sherman Dam is just so cool! The season 1 fight scenes really exploited that the characters were machines, showing them bending and turning in ways a human couldn’t. I always liked that particular touch. Starscream and Jetfire/Skyfire also get some great fight scenes in Fire in the Sky.

TMNT: there are probably more poignant scenes, but Leonardo’s dream sequence at the beginning of Take Me To Your Leader always makes me laugh. Maybe it has something to do with my weakness for supervillains dressed like chefs (Cobra Commander and Destro look great in theirs, Shredder looks great in his here). That, and “Loose the vicious dogs!” *cue tiny pink ankle-biting poodles*

Requiem's alternate ending!
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm- I'd have to think on that for a while. Offhand, I can think of two memorable moments from 1980s cartoon movies- G.I. Joe: The Movie- probably that opening battle scene atop the Statue of Liberty with the really cool version of the theme song playing- that's pretty neat. And seeing Cobra Commander actually getting turned into a cobra- that was kinda weird.
And definitely- the big scene in Transformers: The Movie where I thought a certain someone was made of sterner stuff. It all comes out okay later on though. (And yes, I'm kinda speaking in code in case someone hasn't seen this classic yet. For the fans, you'll probably get what I'm talking about.)

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
ReComposed
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
Offhand, I can think of two memorable moments from 1980s cartoon movies- G.I. Joe: The Movie- probably that opening battle scene atop the Statue of Liberty with the really cool version of the theme song playing- that's pretty neat. And seeing Cobra Commander actually getting turned into a cobra- that was kinda weird.

Oh, yeah! Those are both great scenes. The fight on the Statue was excellent; the extended theme gave it some extra kick, and there was so much going on, with everyone getting in some great hits. Even Cobra Commander got to show off a little, dodging lasers and narrowly escaping a Disney villain's end. Of course, he gets that transformation instead, and man it's creepy! Especially since Roadblock can't see it; he pulls Cobra Commander out of the river and can only feel something is wrong with him. I thought that was an effective touch.

I think I know what Transformers scene you mean, and I agree; that's a jaw-dropper when you're a kid and not expecting it.

Requiem's alternate ending!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: