80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Outrageous!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Outrageous! Reply with quote

I've never actually seen Jem and the holograms before but as it is one of the classics I jumped at the change to borrow it when i discovered one of my awesome friends had it.

Wow. Um. Ok. For those of you who haven't watched Jem before basically. Girl, Jerrica inherits record company and foster home for girls. But other dude Raymond or something who works for company also runs company and kind of starts taking over. Jerrica finds out that she also inherited an hologram machine (synergy) from her dad so in order to get the company back so she can save her in financial troubles foster home she creates a band, Jem and the Holograms. Jem, being Jerrica in a holographic disguise. Needless to say she does win and she and holograms continue on their rock star fandom beating their competition, the Misfits.

Dude, they sing songs. They..all sort of sound the same but so do most bands. I was actually a fan of the Misfit songs more then the Holograms. (and yet i have more hologram songs on my ipod then misfit songs...how did that happen?).

The characters...there hair was outrageous, their clothing was outrageous (pure 80s obviously) and they had this annoying talent of saying outrageous ALL THE TIME!

The show had many warm fuzzy themes like "don't steal" "ask for help when you need it" "have faith in yourself". Not bad, nothing really SUPER warm fuzzy and it is probably something i would have watched religiously as a child.

What really bugged me (and this might be a girl thing) but Rio (Jerrica's bf) had this thing for Jem. Jerrica WAS Jem, but he didn't know that. To make matters worse Jerrica didn't even seem to mind. Dude, what the hell? If my bf was cheating on me, even if it was with me, if he didn't know that i would totally drop kick him over a fence. He didn't even seem to care either, only about once every 6 eps and Jem was always trying to convince him that it was alright. *shakes head* Good morals to teach Hasbro.

Oh and this one guy, Zipper, just a henchmen of Raymond. Dude, he changed appearances like every ep. Did the creators forget what he looked like or what? Tisk tisk.

The box set was neat to. It was all...unfold, unfold, undo paper clasp full of neatness. The show also had a bit of a plot (omg!) usually, 80s shows are full of random eps but these are all sequenced.

I would recommend it as something to watch (very good brainless watching) but i figure i must give warnings on what will happen if you do watch this.

Outrageous will be added to your vocabulary. When you see someone with funky hair you will think "outrageous" when you see someone with a weird outfit you will think "outrageous". When you say or think of Jem you will be compelled to say "truly truly outrageous ooohh Jem!" as part of the really catchy theme song. You will also find yourself substituting other words with outrageous. For example, i had the unfortunate experience of watching Batman right after Jem...same outrageous time, same outrageous channel. My poor brain.

You will find yourself more aware of the Jem cult. I, like many others, did not know of the Jem cult. Once i learned their secret password many members began reveling themselves to me. THEY'RE EVERYWHERE! If it wasn't so outrageous it would be frightening.

Therefore, watch at your own risk.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL- Great review, teddy0bear! Laughing
I remember watching some Jem as a child in the '80s- it was a fun show. Fun '80s songs and definitely some totally outrageous outfits! Smile
Wow- it's been forever since I've really seen any of Jem, but I remember the pink hair and all. Jem is her name, no one else is the same- Jem is her name! Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: