80sCartoons.net Forum Index

A few guidelines for video review (with example)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: A few guidelines for video review (with example) Reply with quote

Okay, well I don't claim to be an expert in reviewing stuff, but I thought I'd offer a few suggestions anyway.
The purpose of this forum is for reviewing video releases, whether on Beta, VHS, LaserDisc, DVD, HD, or Blu-Ray or whatever. It will probably mainly focus on new releases of 1980s cartoon shows, whether a single-disc release of episodes or an entire season or series DVD set. But if someone wants to review an older VHS or even Beta or LaserDisc release of something, (especially if it's the only official release available for a series) then that would be welcome too.
This is a 1980s cartoon forum, so the reviews should be relegated to 1980s cartoon series as much as possible. (There could always possibly be some exceptions.) Cartoon movies or specials from the '80s would also be welcome.
The main thing to keep in mind with reviews is that all it really consists of is your impression of the product. In describing the plot of a movie especially- or episodes in a season set, be careful not to give away major spoilers that may ruin the movie or show for others who haven't seen it yet. The idea is to give them just enough information to make someone interested in renting or buying it and seeing it for themselves.

As far as what to include in a review, here's an example of a review from another site I like- www.sitcomsonline.com

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/familytiesseason2dvdreview.html

(I would also highly recommend the particular product here- I love Family Ties! Very Happy )

The main facts are good to have. The name of the show, release year, the amount of discs, the price, the run time, the audio and video ratios, languages, subtitles, and of course any and all special features.

And definitely alert readers of any issues the product might have as far as audio/video ratio distortions or something like an episode being edited or left out entirely or something like that. (If you know about such issues obviously)

Here's another example to look at from www.tvshowsondvd.com
(an excellent site to get the scoop on upcoming '80s cartoons on DVD!!! Cool )
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/reviews/COPS-Volume-Release/5435

(This one is a review of the great 1980s cartoon "C.O.P.S." DVD set.)

Hope that helps for anyone looking to review stuff. And of course, if anyone else has some other suggestions, feel free to add them. Smile

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O

Last edited by MacGyver on Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aurora
High Priestess of the Cartoons

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, MacGyver! I'll be moving over a couple of older reviews if I can find them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: