80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Remember the 1980s live action Superboy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's TV and Movies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mikey
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:46 am    Post subject: Remember the 1980s live action Superboy Reply with quote

I remember Superboy came on in the great 80s. I watched this show continuously. I remember being excited about watching this every Saturday. It was and still is an incredibly fascinating take on the superhero. The flying scenes were especially spectacular, they were done to perfection. There were two actors that portrayed Superboy.

John Newton and Gerard Christopher

Both did a great job as Superboy. However, my favorite of the two would absolutely have to be Gerard Christopher. Gerard played the part of not only Superboy perfectly, but Clark Kent as well. He was similar to the Clark in the Superman movies starring Christopher Reeve. He was clumsy and much of a boy scout, saying words like "golly" and "gee whiz." Fortunately, I have the episodes on dvd. One of my favorite episodes is when Superboy fought Bizarro for the first time. Who else remembers watching the live action Superboy in the awesome 80s? What were your favorite episodes? Very Happy

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a big fan of Superman (he's my favorite fictional superhero- mainly because he reminds me so much of my favorite real life superhero Jesus Christ Very Happy Cool ).
And yes- I definitely remember the live action Superboy TV series that came on in the late '80s and early '90s. I watched this some then and enjoyed it and still like it now. I have seen all of Season 1; I'd love to see the rest of the series when I have the chance. I just haven't had the money to spend on the DVDs right now. But I'm glad the whole series is finally available on DVD. I also agree that Gerard Christopher was the better Superboy- he pulled off both that role and Clark Kent's role quite well. (And yes- very reminiscent of Christopher Reeve's movie version of Superman- still my favorite Superman portrayal of all time!) (Though I love all the others too.) (By the way, the Salkinds, who made the "Superman" movies of the '70s and '80s, along with the "Supergirl" movie, were also the ones behind creating this series.)
I can't recall any particular favorite episodes right now, but I will mention that I am glad that the show incorporated Superman villians like Lex Luthor, Bizarro, Mr. Mxyzptlk, Yellow Peri and Metallo.
And actual comic book writers were involved in writing some of the episodes and I'm sure that helped. This is a great, sometimes forgotten, live action superhero series that helped pave the way for a lot of others that run today.

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Mikey
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, I am very happy that they incorporated Superman's villains also. I remember Metallo all to well. I remember the episode when the army needed Metallo's help to stop Superboy gone bad. In the beginning of that particular episode, Superboy was exposed to red kryptonite (which everyone knows turns Superboy bad) he actually broke the hand of a General, if memory serves correctly. The only way the army could think of stopping Superboy was Metallo.

I also agree with you that this show absolutely helped pave the way for others...including two of my favorite Smallville and Supergirl Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's TV and Movies All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: