80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Movie or Short Series About Forest Animals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Varwulf
Radical

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Movie or Short Series About Forest Animals Reply with quote

Greetings!

Being a product of the 80s, I have been over time remembering small bits of information from shows, movies, and cartoons I saw from that era and lately have found a strong desire to re-live some of them. David the Gnome, The Last Unicorn, The Raccoons, stuff like that. My sister and I always really took to the animal cartoons, but there is one that I remember close to nothing about that I've been trying to locate, and thought I'd take a stab at trying this fine forum here.

If I had to describe what I could remember in one convoluted sentence, it would be this: "Sort of Wind in the Willowsy, but with 2D animation and I think realistic (four legged, not anthropomorphic) animals--I think--living in a forest and generally going about their lives either helping one another or sometimes getting into life lessons/conflicts with one another."

Very descriptive, yes? I literally do not remember the species of some of the animals involved, but I am pretty sure they weren't the 'walk on two' variety of animals, but maybe I am wrong.

I know it wasn't Animals of Farthingwood (another one I caught back up on awhile back), it would certainly be something very unknown. I think it would have been an American animated film, but it's possible I am wrong there as I've noticed a decent amount of what I saw as a kid came from the UK or Japan as well. I really wish I could come up with more information to share than that...

I don't remember human involvement at all, and for some reason I *think* it was produced by DIC? I remember a lot of shows, movies, etc, ending with the child saying "DIC" when the DIC logo showed up on the dark backdrop.

Gosh that takes me back...

Please, if anything you remember even slightly matches my horrible description, do share the title. I'd love to do some digging and see if it's actually what I seek Smile

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it!

Edit:
It is not any of the following:
Watership Down
Wind in the Willows
Animals of Farthingwood
Fables Of The Green Forest
Maple Town
Sylvanian Families
Dr. Snuggles
Adventures of Little Koala
Gummi Bears
Franklin
Winnie the Pooh

Last edited by Varwulf on Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:25 pm; edited 7 times in total
Straydog
Cartoon Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was a movie and the primary
animals were rabbits/hares
Maybe,..

Watership Down

lots of other possibilities

---

Varwulf
Radical

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straydog wrote:
If it was a movie and the primary
animals were rabbits/hares
Maybe,..

Watership Down

lots of other possibilities

---

Not that one, sadly. That is another one I do remember though :O Thanks for the post!

Straydog
Cartoon Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another guess,...

Fables of the Green Forest

i suppose this could be considered anime

Varwulf
Radical

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straydog wrote:
another guess,...

I did a quick google search and the image I saw of the frog with glasses struck a cord of sorts, I swear I've seen that somewhere before.

After work today I'll do a bit more digging and see if I can find out more. Thanks for the suggestion Smile

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Varwulf,
Welcome to the forums! Thanks for your nice words. Smile
I hope you find the cartoon you seek soon. It seems like there were quite a few animal cartoons in the '80s, with the characters learning life lessons together and such.
I can think of a few possibilities, but I don't think these feature realistic animals (i.e. I believe these are all anthropomorphic.) But on the offchance that one of these is it- of course, you already mentioned "The Raccoons"- that's one of my favorites! (But it also features humans, although they are not too often seen.)
Other possibilities- "The Get-Along Gang", "Kissyfur", "The Adventures of Blinky Bill" [that's a '90s cartoon though], "Adventures of the Little Koala".......

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Varwulf
Radical

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straydog wrote:
another guess,...

Started watching the intro today on youtube on my lunch break. I *DO* remember this one, not 100% sure it was *the* one, but I do remember it Smile Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to watch a few episodes and see if anything really sticks.

MacGyver wrote:
Hi Varwulf,
Welcome to the forums! Thanks for your nice words. Smile
I hope you find the cartoon you seek soon. It seems like there were quite a few animal cartoons in the '80s, with the characters learning life lessons together and such.
I can think of a few possibilities, but I don't think these feature realistic animals (i.e. I believe these are all anthropomorphic.) But on the offchance that one of these is it- of course, you already mentioned "The Raccoons"- that's one of my favorites! (But it also features humans, although they are not too often seen.)
Other possibilities- "The Get-Along Gang", "Kissyfur", "The Adventures of Blinky Bill" [that's a '90s cartoon though], "Adventures of the Little Koala".......

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yeah, I figured I was asking for the nearly impossible when requesting an 80s cartoon involving animals Razz But I figured, why not? I think I've made more progress so far with the help of this forum than I would have in a year of searching on my own, so yipee Smile

I'll take a look at the ones you mentioned. The Get-Along Gang sounds most promising, but I certainly will look at them all. Thanks again Smile

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Varwulf wrote:

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yeah, I figured I was asking for the nearly impossible when requesting an 80s cartoon involving animals Razz But I figured, why not? I think I've made more progress so far with the help of this forum than I would have in a year of searching on my own, so yipee Smile

I'll take a look at the ones you mentioned. The Get-Along Gang sounds most promising, but I certainly will look at them all. Thanks again Smile

Welcome to the forums! Trust me, there´s nothing actually impossible to find. I spent four years looking for an old and pretty dark cartoon (it was shown only during two weeks on the United States, and six months on Germany) before I figured "why not?" myself, and I registered in here... and then, of course, it was found on the very first day. I´m sure you will find yours in no time!

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with IceDragon- well said. Smile Cool
And I'm glad to hear the forums have helped you already in your search.

SharpFork
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum!

I can at least confirm, judging by your description that it is most likely not a DiC series.

I'm pretty sure I know what series you are talking about- it aired on Nickelodeon around 1990-92. I just can't think of the name unfortunately. Perhaps it was Dr. Snuggles (friend to the animal world)?

Some unlikely ones might be Maple Town or Sylvanian Families?

Varwulf
Radical

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IceDragon wrote:
Welcome to the forums! Trust me, there´s nothing actually impossible to find. I spent four years looking for an old and pretty dark cartoon (it was shown only during two weeks on the United States, and six months on Germany) before I figured "why not?" myself, and I registered in here... and then, of course, it was found on the very first day. I´m sure you will find yours in no time!

Thanks for the warm welcome Smile That is pretty impressive news, and also surprising that said show only aired in the states for two weeks :O I've heard of short runs before but that's pretty small Very Happy

Thanks for the best wishes, I appreciate it Smile

MacGyver wrote:
I agree with IceDragon- well said. Smile Cool
And I'm glad to hear the forums have helped you already in your search.

Thanks a bunch, MacGyver Smile

SharpFork wrote:
Welcome to the forum!

I can at least confirm, judging by your description that it is most likely not a DiC series.

I'm pretty sure I know what series you are talking about- it aired on Nickelodeon around 1990-92. I just can't think of the name unfortunately. Perhaps it was Dr. Snuggles (friend to the animal world)?

Some unlikely ones might be Maple Town or Sylvanian Families?

From what little I've searched of DiC so far, I think you might be right. I just remember seeing a lot of DiC cartoons when I was younger so I wasn't sure, I might need to give them a more serious look at some point Smile

1990-92 might still fit the bill, I will certainly give your suggestions a try as well Smile

I confirmed that, despite the fact that I remember Fables of the Green Forest (and am very glad to re-connect with that show again), it isn't the one I was looking for, so the search continues Smile

Edit: Maple Town, Sylvanian Families and Dr. Snuggles aren't the one, from what I can tell, though Sylvanian Families is something I do remember seeing as a kid. That brought me back just like Fables of the Green Forest :O

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll throw my hat into the welcoming arena, but unfortunately I can't be more useful. Worry not though, there are all sorts of very capable cartoon minds on this forum. Welcome!

Big thanks for jogging me back to Fables of the Green Forest! It has been nearly 30 years since I last remember seeing it. Shocked Smile Just like IceDragon, I had great success finding out my lost causes were not so lost here, so fingers crossed!

P.S. You may have already, but if you haven't, search through some of the old "Lost and Found" topics. Someone may have remembered things that may jog your memory. Good luck! Very Happy

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few other suggestions- this one seems too obvious and it does have at least one regular human, but maybe "The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh"? (Christopher Robin shows up from time to time, but otherwise it's anthropomorphic animals in the Hundred Acre Woods.) I have a feeling that's probably not it, but it's one of my favorites so I thought I'd mention it. Smile

For a much more recent show, there's also Franklin.
There's also "Adventures of the Little Koala" and "Adventures of the Gummi Bears" (though that also had humans in the show too.)

Varwulf
Radical

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
I'll throw my hat into the welcoming arena, but unfortunately I can't be more useful. Worry not though, there are all sorts of very capable cartoon minds on this forum. Welcome!

Big thanks for jogging me back to Fables of the Green Forest! It has been nearly 30 years since I last remember seeing it. Shocked Smile Just like IceDragon, I had great success finding out my lost causes were not so lost here, so fingers crossed!

P.S. You may have already, but if you haven't, search through some of the old "Lost and Found" topics. Someone may have remembered things that may jog your memory. Good luck! Very Happy

Woah, huge delay on my part! Sorry for the wait D:

I do appreciate the welcome! I will probably have to go through the Lost and Found then, as I've had no success in finding what I'm looking for. Again, thanks for the post though Smile

MacGyver wrote:
A few other suggestions- this one seems too obvious and it does have at least one regular human, but maybe "The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh"? (Christopher Robin shows up from time to time, but otherwise it's anthropomorphic animals in the Hundred Acre Woods.) I have a feeling that's probably not it, but it's one of my favorites so I thought I'd mention it. Smile

For a much more recent show, there's also Franklin.
There's also "Adventures of the Little Koala" and "Adventures of the Gummi Bears" (though that also had humans in the show too.)

Oh I remember Winnie the Pooh very vividly, sadly, it wasn't that, but thanks for the suggestion! Gummi Bears and Franklin also are very solid in my memory, but Little Koala is not, I will give it a looking at though I am sure it's not that one since they were North American/Conifer Forest type animals from what I recall Smile

Again, thanks for the post!

Edit: Dang, I just looked up the intro to Adventures of Little Koala, I definitely remember this theme back when I was a kid, but I don't remember watching it a whole lot. Awesome suggestion, I do love it when something else comes up that I remember while looking for something else entirely Very Happy

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool- at least you found some other favorite forgotten memories. Very Happy
Hope you find the show you're looking for though- keep trying- you never know when it might all come together at the right time....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Lost and Found All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: