80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Possible Kissyfur release on DVD
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
omgtehh8
Radical

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it does come out on DVD. I have just spent about 150 collecting up all the VHS tapes released in the UK up to SE0204

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omgtehh8 wrote:
I hope it does come out on DVD. I have just spent about 150 collecting up all the VHS tapes released in the UK up to SE0204

Nice collection! I bet those tapes weren't easy to find.

But whatever the case, let me congratulate you for the finding. I just love VHS releases.

Oh, and welcome to the forums btw.

Last edited by IceDragon on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! Yeah, I've got a number of VHS releases of cartoons myself- in some cases, that's the only official release some shows have gotten- maybe one day DVD releases will be made. (Hopefully, that will be the case for Kissyfur soon.)
And yes- welcome to the forums! Very Happy Cool Glad to have you here.

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Guilbeau
Radical

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omgtehh8 wrote:

If you want it on DVD, please post on Mill Creek's facebook page or, if you don't have a facebook account, e-mail them at support@millcreekent.com. They release their shows in the UK eventually, so you have nothing to lose.

I might be gauging the success of my campaign too much on who posts on facebook. People without facebook account could very well be e-mailing Mill Creek with requests for Kissyfur. I know they read their e-mails because I carried on a conversation with their product manager.

omgtehh8
Radical

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:48 am    Post subject: message from Mill Creek Reply with quote

hi again I did email Mill Creek and got the message below back from them. I'm not sure if this means the rights do belong to DHX or someone else as per the posts further up, or whether the distribution rights are separate again from owning the IP and production rights... or whether the distribution rights are specific to each country and their response is about a UK release specifically.

I wasn't sure if it would be ok to copy the person's contact details so I did take those out, but they responded very quickly anyway on the support@millcreekent.com address.

30 Jun (2 days ago)

to me

Good Morning,

Thank you for your interest in Mill Creek Entertainment and its line of products. We appreciate it when customers take the time to contact us with their comments, questions and suggestions. Your suggestion for a possible DVD release has been forwarded to the appropriate parties for further review and consideration. Unfortunately, we do not hold the distribution rights to the Kissyfur television program. We encourage you to regularly visit our website for new release announcements and other product information. Please feel free to contact us with any additional comments or inquiries.

Sincerely,

Description: MillCreek_Logo-2011

Project Manager

Mill Creek Entertainment

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm- well, if Mill Creek doesn't hold the rights to Kissyfur, I guess you will need to track down who exactly does- but that can be hard sometimes. Maybe it would be worth contacting DIC or Saban?

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a reminder, there are at least 5 VHS tapes that have been released for "Kissyfur" that I found listed on Amazon.com (as well as some books based on the cartoon.)
Check out the review for this video. It's dated February 20, 2014, so it's pretty recent- and the poster mentions wanting to see the show available on DVD.
It might be worth leaving reviews for the VHS releases of Kissyfur listed on Amazon and mention the desire to see the show on DVD. Sometimes DVD producers see things like that- it can't hurt.

Guilbeau
Radical

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: message from Mill Creek Reply with quote

omgtehh8 wrote:
hi again I did email Mill Creek and got the message below back from them. I'm not sure if this means the rights do belong to DHX or someone else as per the posts further up, or whether the distribution rights are separate again from owning the IP and production rights... or whether the distribution rights are specific to each country and their response is about a UK release specifically.

I mentioned earlier in the thread that I found out that Disney owns the rights to Kissyfur. This is okay, though, as Mill Creek has released Disney owned programs on DVD before.

I've talked with that product manager before. He's how I found out Kissyfur is not owned by DHX. I later e-mailed him to tell him about how Disney owns it and to apologize for my error. He mailed me back, I can't remember know what exactly he said, except not to worry about it and that they know the situation, or something.

Perhaps in our e-mails to them we should emphasize that they should aquire the rights to Kissyfur in order to release it.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I mentioned earlier in the thread that I found out that Disney owns the rights to Kissyfur. This is okay, though, as Mill Creek has released Disney owned programs on DVD before.

I've talked with that product manager before. He's how I found out Kissyfur is not owned by DHX. I later e-mailed him to tell him about how Disney owns it and to apologize for my error. He mailed me back, I can't remember know what exactly he said, except not to worry about it and that they know the situation, or something.

Perhaps in our e-mails to them we should emphasize that they should aquire the rights to Kissyfur in order to release it.

Oh- I must have missed that somehow. Hmm- if Disney owns it, it seems like a perfect fit for Disney Jr. - maybe they would even consider airing it again and get a DVD release rolling. But if Mill Creek can acquire the rights to put it on DVD, that seems like a better possibility than Disney directly releasing it. Unfortunately, seeing as how Disney's yet to get the rest of some their most popular cartoon series onto DVD (like DuckTales, Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Ducks)- it seems unlikely they will release this series any time soon.....
(However, another popular Disney cartoon series- Talespin- finally did get completely released on DVD with a Disney Movie Club exclusive release recently. And Goof Troop has finally gotten some volume DVD releases for the series via the Disney Movie Club as well. Maybe Disney will finally move on some other properties too.)

Guilbeau
Radical

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MacGyver"]
Quote:

Oh- I must have missed that somehow. Hmm- if Disney owns it, it seems like a perfect fit for Disney Jr. - maybe they would even consider airing it again and get a DVD release rolling. But if Mill Creek can acquire the rights to put it on DVD, that seems like a better possibility than Disney directly releasing it. Unfortunately, seeing as how Disney's yet to get the rest of some their most popular cartoon series onto DVD (like DuckTales, Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Ducks)- it seems unlikely they will release this series any time soon.....[quote]

Disney is very tight-fisted with their original properties like you just mentioned, but not so with the stuff they've acquired from other companies.
But now them release the rest of Talespin is great news Very Happy .

I'll have to try your Amazon idea. I don't know if it'd be better to leave reviews or post in the little discussion box they have for it.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go with posting a review myself- but every good bit of exposure for Kissyfur can only help. Very Happy Cool

Guilbeau
Radical

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!!

I...I don't know what to think of this. I happened upon this while looking for home video releases:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_in_home_video

It shows Kissyfur being released this August 5!!! But, it doesn't say which company. The article is also flagged as having multiple issues. I wanted to see what you guys thought.

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guilbeau wrote:
!!!

I...I don't know what to think of this. I happened upon this while looking for home video releases:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_in_home_video

It shows Kissyfur being released this August 5!!! But, it doesn't say which company. The article is also flagged as having multiple issues. I wanted to see what you guys thought.

Looks like you have done it Wink

Last edited by IceDragon on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I have noticed that the price for the bootleg dvd copies of Kissyfur have been dropping pretty dramatically. Either; they know something definitely; have seen this same wiki entry; or it could be completely unrelated and coincidental.

If August is the target street date, you would assume somewhere would have more news or pre order info. Fingers crossed that more info will be forthcoming.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- thanks for the link! That is really cool! And hopefully it is true. I agree that I would be cautious about getting your hopes up too high...not sure how much I trust a Wikipedia listing by itself- but I do hope it's accurate and that we'll finally see Kissyfur on DVD in the near future! Very Happy Cool

Guilbeau
Radical

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I've been doing some investigating. After hearing no other mention of Kissyfur on other DVD release sites, I investigated the Wikipedia source. Kissyfur, as well as three other shows, Foofur, Ovide and the Gang, and Count Duckula, were added this past May 14 by an unregistered user on Wikipedia. Being unregistered, I can't send him a message, but Wikipedia stills tracks them(and their edits) through their IP address. She/He's in good standing who has added things to some production company pages, as well as the Count Duckula page, as well as several edits to that releases page I linked to.

The other releases on the page have been released, except that some of the dates are wrong. Peg + Cat, for example, is listed as being released last April 8, when Amazon lists it as coming out this Sept. 9. The page does say that dates are subject to change.

I'm thinking that maybe this person does have some inside information, but the August release date is simply tentative, and will actually be released later, which explains why other DVD sites don't list it as coming out next month.

I just want this to be true so bad. I just thought I'd update what I guessed was happening.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds plausible. I guess there's not much longer to wait to see if it comes through.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: