80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Forums 10th anniversary ideas....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Volunteering/Content Change Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Forums 10th anniversary ideas.... Reply with quote

I noticed that on the 25th of December, 2004, Aurora was the first and principal member of this forum. Seeing it will soon be 10 years since that time, maybe we can start a "what brought you, what kept you here" topic for some of the members that have been on this forum for a bulk if not all those years.

Being that I am very new here and really enjoy myself, and hope to add a positive contribution, I would like to know more of the history or reasons members stay, or even go. There are some very talented and creative people here that contribute so much, and it would be nice, if they wanted to, to tell us why they enjoy what they do and have been doing it for so long. Also for us new members to thank them for their service and dedication for maintaining a great place for everyone!

If anyone has any ideas on things, or how to implement them, lets hear it! It would also be great to hear from the Princess of the forum, Aurora, on such an auspices occasion. Very Happy

Thanks for your time.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a great idea! Very Happy Cool I'm glad you enjoy the forums so much, Mayor West. Thanks for all your contributions here as well. It's been encouraging to see so many new members in recent months. I didn't realize the 10 year anniversary was already upon us...wow- and I've been posting here almost that long.... Smile
If you want to start such a thread, go for it- that would be really fun. And yes- hopefully we could see all the forum members participate.

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thinking West! I did realize that the anniversary was close but no that close.

I do agree with you about about thanking the old-schools (Razz) for keeping this place alive and nice. They have already played a big part behind my stay here, always making me feel comfortable and well-received. So, thanks!

And yes, It would be indeed very nice to hear from Aurora and Teddy0bear.

Last edited by IceDragon on Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
MQuack
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My love for 80's cartoons and even some 90's cartoons brought me here. I've always wanted any and all influential cartoons on DVD or another physical medium so I can collect them and show them to kids if I have them someday. Smile

Really like the forums so far being one of the newest members, but hopefully I can be a good contributor going forward to help the site do well!

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to hearing from MacGyver, it would be nice to hear from Aurora, teddy0bear and Straydog as well as son goku, badkitty0404, TWiSTeDMeTaL, overload and Lord Skeletor. PlanetRuth never posted much but I remember seeing her name as moderator.

I came here because I was looking for 80s cartoons, out of nostalgia. I rather liked this forum so I stayed.

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I just remembered that ever since this post was created, I got curious about how the site used to look (because I came across a post by Aurora in late 2004, saying that it was redesigned by NSDragon), and therefore, I went to the WebArchive... but the site is not available there (this can be a problem in the long-run, I would say). This is the message I get everytime I try it:

I know next to nothing about web-site design or properties, but It seems like something It could be solved quite easily.

Just thought it might be useful to know Razz

But besides that, is there any screencap of those old days? Im really curious Razz

Mayor West
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:39 pm    Post subject: Awesome to see responses! MOAR! Reply with quote

IceDragon wrote:
Hey guys, I just remembered that ever since this post was created, I got curious about how the site used to look (because I came across a post by Aurora in late 2004, saying that it was redesigned by NSDragon), and therefore, I went to the WebArchive... but the site is not available there (this can be a problem in the long-run, I would say). This is the message I get everytime I try it:

I know next to nothing about web-site design or properties, but It seems like something It could be solved quite easily.

But besides that, is there any screencap of those old days? Im really curious Razz

Wikipedia on Robot Exclusion Standard. Looks like as long as this is in place no archiving can be done automatically. Also if you look at the main page of http://80scartoons.net, it looks like it hasn't been updated in a couple of years. Kinda frozen in stasis, that may be the best hope of a look into the past.Crying or Very sad
I am with you, IceDragon! It would be nice to learn more about web coding, maybe even volunteer to update and add to the main site and database. I just took a chance that the forum would still be running when I first went to the database, lucky me! A small shame that the forum looks and runs a lot better than the main pages, but I completely understand the time commitments it must take along with fiscal responsibilities of running something like this.

Thank you to all the moderators, past and present, for everything you do!

LepricahnsGold wrote:
In addition to hearing from MacGyver, it would be nice to hear from Aurora, teddy0bear and Straydog as well as son goku, badkitty0404, TWiSTeDMeTaL, overload and Lord Skeletor. PlanetRuth never posted much but I remember seeing her name as moderator.

That would be terrific!

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if you know who son goku, badkitty0404, TWiSTeDMeTaL, overload and Lord Skeletor are but they were all around for a time and used to post a lot. son goku and badkitty0404 were here when I started.

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Awesome to see responses! MOAR! Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
Wikipedia on Robot Exclusion Standard. Looks like as long as this is in place no archiving can be done automatically. Also if you look at the main page of http://80scartoons.net, it looks like it hasn't been updated in a couple of years. Kinda frozen in stasis, that may be the best hope of a look into the past.Crying or Very sad
I am with you, IceDragon! It would be nice to learn more about web coding, maybe even volunteer to update and add to the main site and database. I just took a chance that the forum would still be running when I first went to the database, lucky me! A small shame that the forum looks and runs a lot better than the main pages, but I completely understand the time commitments it must take along with fiscal responsibilities of running something like this.

Thank you to all the moderators, past and present, for everything you do!!
Sadly, I have found some of the cartoon links on the main listing are broken. It probably happened because Aurora had trouble with her host at one time. She probably lost some things.

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Awesome to see responses! MOAR! Reply with quote

Mayor West wrote:
IceDragon wrote:

Thank you to all the moderators, past and present, for everything you do!

Im willing to volunteer my time as well. I dont do this quite often, but what can I say? I love this place.

And of course, if you need help with research or reviews, you know where to find me Wink

And like you said: Thanks a lot for all your hard work, users and staff!

EDIT:

LepricahnsGold wrote:
I don't know if you know who son goku, badkitty0404, TWiSTeDMeTaL, overload and Lord Skeletor are but they were all around for a time and used to post a lot. son goku and badkitty0404 were here when I started.

I believe I saw Lord Skeleton and Overload posting a few times since I'm here (though not a lot).

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those two do usually pop in from time to time.

It's good to see so many members here that are excited about keeping the site going and moving. Smile Cool
There was a period where posts had really dwindled off for a while, so I've been glad to see the resurgence.

Regarding the volunteers for help with the site, I'm sure Aurora appreciates that. Even as a moderator, I am limited in what I can do on the site, but thanks for all your kind words. I try to help wherever I can as time allows.

The site has had some major hosting issues in the past and I know a number of links and forum posts and such were lost as a result, so that may be one reason for broken links, besides the usual temporal lifespan of websites to begin with.

I have found this statistical website entry for 80scartoons.net that might be interesting to look at for the 10th. anniversary. Very Happy Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was actually very nice to see Smile and its also very interesting to know that many of our traffic comes from fellow cartoon sites.

I found that we actually have a LiveJournal. I dont know why I didnt see this earlier. It seems like it was runned by Aurora and Teddy0bear, and it provides lots of interesting info, so I recommend it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Volunteering/Content Change Requests All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: