80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Doug- The Complete Nickelodeon Series on DVD!!!!! :-)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Doug- The Complete Nickelodeon Series on DVD!!!!! :-) Reply with quote

Well, I know this is a '80s cartoons site and don't worry- I LOVE 1980s cartoons plenty. But there are also some select '90s cartoons I LOVE and this is definitely one of them- by far, one of the best 1990s cartoons as far as I'm concerned.
Doug has been available on DVD already through a Manufacture-on-Demand DVD release from Amazon.com (but Season 4 was only a "Best Of" set), but now it's getting a complete series DVD set!
So this is all 52 episodes of the original Nickelodeon run! (The Disney episodes have not been released to DVD yet.)

You can get it for right at 30 bucks from Amazon.com, available now!
Check the link here for more info. Very Happy Cool
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Doug-The-Complete-Nickelodeon-Series/19984

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just made my day Macgyver!

(Though Doug it's popular enough to be really easy to find online, itīs nice to have an actual option of buying this gem).

Oh, and thanks for keeping constant updates of DVD releases. Your efforts are really helpful.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Glad I could brighten your day, IceDragon. Yep- it's great to see Doug officially available on DVD. And yeah, you're welcome- I like to keep up to date on DVD releases and spread the word here when I see something good. Very Happy Cool

thinice
Tubular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug is a really good show and glad it has been released to DVD.

Has there been any updates to the Disney Doug getting released?

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thinice wrote:
Doug is a really good show and glad it has been released to DVD.

Has there been any updates to the Disney Doug getting released?

I THINK (not sure at all) that the movie is out on DVD, but that's about it.

Welcome to the forums!

thinice
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome, IceDragon!

I was afraid of Disney holding back on Doug. I have a few episodes of Brand Spanking New Doug including the last episode. But the quality is poor. Hoping for better releases some day.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah- I LOVE Doug! Very Happy Cool (Not only because of just its light-hearted comedy, but also positive values and it has some heart and depth.) Very Happy Cool (It reminds me a lot of Archie Andrews and the gang from Riverdale and somewhat of Saved By The Bell as well- and I LOVE all of those too.)

Unfortunately, I have not heard anything further on Disney's Brand Spanking New Doug episodes getting a DVD release. If I ever see anything on it, I'll be sure to post it here.
I have found that Disney tends to be guarded in what it releases to DVD- and even some of its mainstay Disney Afternoon shows like The Adventures of the Gummi Bears, DuckTales, Chip 'N' Dale Rescue Rangers and Darkwing Duck have been awaiting completion on DVD for years now... and while Talespin finally got completed on DVD, it seems like it might be a while before Disney gets to anything else.
But I have seen Disney releasing a few more Disney Club exclusive releases here and there recently (including getting DuckTales: The Movie- Treasure of the Lost Lamp on DVD as well as a few volumes of Goof Troop)- so there is always hope that they will keep moving on more cartoon properties.
I can at least confirm that "Doug's 1st. Movie" is available on DVD though.

Last edited by MacGyver on Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are probably also already aware that some of the Disney episodes have been released to VHS as well.

thinice
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. I knew of a few of the releases.

Not sure what the Disney problem is with releasing things from the Disney Vault. Recess and Pepper Ann are other titles that rarely seen.

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know? I been told countless times that the Disney's Doug it's beyond awful. Is that true? I grew up with the Nickelodeon version and I love the heck out of it, so that would be a letdown.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's the funny thing. I've only seen some of the Nickelodeon Doug cartoons- and that's been in recent years, watching them on DVD.
I never had cable as a kid, so I never watched this show on Nick. However, I do remember watching Disney's Doug episodes since that aired on local network TV. So I watched those before I ever saw any of the Nick episodes- I've never had a problem with either one. Both of them seem great to me.
But I know fans who did grow up watching the Nick episodes first tend to favor those over the Disney ones. After having seen some of both now, I still don't think the Disney episodes are really all that bad. Yes, some things are different and maybe it's not quite the same as the quieter, simplistic Nick episodes (and I mean that in a good way)- but I don't think it's bad either.
And as a completist, I would still want the whole series on DVD regardless. Fans can always pick and choose what episodes they want to watch or not- but it's always better to have more choice available for everyone.

thinice
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug started for me on Nickelodeon. My niece and nephews would visit wanting to watch Rugrats and Doug would usually follow. I really like the humor of both shows but was hooked on Doug.

Then Brand Spanking New Doug started showing on the abc network when the Nick series was finished. Some episodes were really good but to often Doug's alter ego Quailman was the storyline. I preferred the Nick series as it showed Doug struggling through life's ups and downs on his own.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a big fan of superheroes and comics in general, I definitely love the Quailman episodes. For a 12-year-old boy especially, that's a great, realistic coping method for dealing with life's ups and downs- I can relate to this one- I tend to think a lot of kids would relate to pretending that things are better in their imagination. That's just about the whole premise of Muppet Babies. Laughing And the 1993 "Sidekicks" movie with Chuck Norris for that matter.
It's been a done a number of times, of course- I like those kind of episodes well enough. But I'm also fine with episodes that don't feature Quailman- they don't have to do those kind of fantasy routines on every episode.

IceDragon
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
Being a big fan of superheroes and comics in general, I definitely love the Quailman episodes. For a 12-year-old boy especially, that's a great, realistic coping method for dealing with life's ups and downs- I can relate to this one- I tend to think a lot of kids would relate to pretending that things are better in their imagination. That's just about the whole premise of Muppet Babies. Laughing And the 1993 "Sidekicks" movie with Chuck Norris for that matter.
It's been a done a number of times, of course- I like those kind of episodes well enough. But I'm also fine with episodes that don't feature Quailman- they don't have to do those kind of fantasy routines on every episode.

He also did a secret-agent character (here he was named Smacko Addams, but it might be different in the USA) that was equally as cool.

thinice
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can remember the secret agent and the Halloween episode where Doug dresses as Race Canyon(think that is the name). It has been awhile.

Looking back Doug imagined throughout both series. I will agree the show is worth watching either version you can find.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool- I had forgotten about the secret agent bit, but I'm sure Doug would have done that at some point too. Nice. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Other Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: