80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Can you name this this cartoon from 80's?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vio606
Radical

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Can you name this this cartoon from 80's? Reply with quote

Does anyone remember a Saturday mourning cartoon where a group of super hero's traveled around in a submarine. They had a pool at the bottom of the sub that led to the ocean and When they hit the water they transformed into human/sea creature super hero's. Does anyone know what it was called? I believe one was shark/human. octopus/human, sting ray/human, dolphin/human

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! That is a cartoon called "TigerSharks". It was part of a 1987 anthology series called "The Comic Strip", which featured 4 different cartoons that were shown in an hour block (the cartoons alternated on different days)- the four cartoons are: "TigerSharks", "Karate Kat", "Street Frogs" and "The Mini Monsters". Very Happy Cool
I grew up watching this one and I'm a big fan of this classic from Rankin-Bass (same group that made "ThunderCats" and "SilverHawks".)

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the intro for "The Comic Strip"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuDSDtgEoAU

Here's the intro for "TigerSharks"- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAOYtDGMy4w

Wikipedia page-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Comic_Strip_(TV_series)

TigerSharks Wikipedia page- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TigerSharks

vio606
Radical

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's totally it. That really brings me back. That been bothering me for a while, no one knew what I was talking about. Your awesome
Thanks,
Andrew

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem! Glad I could help. "TigerSharks" and "The Comic Strip" series overall - that's one of my favorite '80s cartoons- loved watching it as a kid. Still fun to watch now- hopefully it'll get released to DVD someday. Very Happy Cool

SharpFork
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vio606 wrote:
Wow, that's totally it. That really brings me back. That been bothering me for a while, no one knew what I was talking about. Your awesome
Thanks,
Andrew

Its actually the "lost" installment to the Rankin Bass trilogy as well. Thundercats, Silverhawks, Tigersharks.

You would think with the immense popularity surrounding Thundercats and the medium sized fan base the Silverhawks have, Tigersharks would have been on DVD by now. Unfortunately as it stands we only have 10 episodes in circulation and half of them has the intro and episode title cut off Sad

This one is a favorite of mine and Warner has absolutely no plans to release it. When I asked them about a potential dvd the response was "Tiger- What? Do we even own that? Wait, there was never a third Rankin Bass cartoon in the T-Cats/S-Hawks style, you are crazy" I also mentioned 'The Comic Strip' and they were dumbfounded on that too, just in case T-Sharks was sold to WB packaged under that title.

So yeah, the people that own the rights to it (Warner bought Rankin Bass) do not even know they own it, let alone what it is. I hate to say it but I feel like T-Sharks is doomed to obscurity. Probably wont even be a Warner Archive release. Id just like to see the complete series in good quality finally.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only official video release of any sort for "TigerSharks" (as far as I know) has been this VHS release- http://www.amazon.com/Tigersharks-Power-Shark-VHS/dp/6301486277/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380889630&sr=8-1&keywords=TigerSharks

There were also VHS tapes released for the other segments of "The Comic Strip"- one per show. ("Karate Kat", "Street Frogs" and "The Mini-Monsters") Each contains three episodes of their respective series. [You have to keep in mind that with this series, it was originally shown as a half-hour long compilation show called "The Comic Strip", where segments from two different shows would be aired on different days. But it was handled differently in different markets. Typically though, you might see a segment from "TigerSharks" (approximately anywhere from 11 to 15 minutes long) and then a segment from "Karate Kat" (approximately anywhere from 11 to 15 minutes long). Of these shows, "Karate Kat", "Street Frogs" and "The Mini-Monsters" all had 11 to 15 minute long shorts that were complete in themselves. For "TigerSharks", the show was presented in the same format but since it was a half-hour long series by itself, it was always presented in parts. (i.e. "Part 1" of an episode was aired one day and then "Part 2" was aired the next day or whatever.)

You can still find some of these at times on Amazon.com or Ebay, etc. but they are all long out of print.

http://www.amazon.com/Karate-Kat-Arisotractic-Kapers-VHS/dp/6301486285/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380889876&sr=8-1&keywords=Karate+Kat

http://www.amazon.com/Street-Frogs-Keep-Rappin-VHS/dp/6301486293/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380890210&sr=8-2&keywords=Street+Frogs

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Monsters-Adventures-Camp-Mini-Mon/dp/6301486307/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1380890293&sr=1-1&keywords=%22Mini+Monsters%22

Now that ThunderCats (the original '80s classic) and SilverHawks have both finally made it to DVD in their entirety, I'd love to see TigerSharks and all of The Comic Strip follow suit and get released too...but who knows if that will ever happen? But the fact that characters from SilverHawks and TigerSharks actually made a cameo on the "Legacy" episode of the 2011 ThunderCats series gives me some hope that someone is aware of these properties and might work to get them to DVD someday.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Lost and Found All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: