80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Childhood memory from the 80s

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cptcrunchin
Radical

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Childhood memory from the 80s Reply with quote

Now, I remember a scene of an animated movie from the 80s when I was a kid. It's recently popped in to my head and I can't figure it out. Being that it's a memory its a bit hazzy, but hopefully someone can help. Here goes.

There is a wise old turtle that lives in the mud and can answer any question. A mouse goes to seek the turtle's advice in order to save his family. The turtle is very argumentative and not forth coming. The turtle just wants to sleep deep in the mud but the mouse won't let him sleep. The turtle makes a deal with the mouse that if the mouse chops down a tree the turtle will answer the question. While the mouse chops the turtle sleeps. The mouse rigs an axe to a spring so that all the mouse has to do is push against the handle with his whole body, compressing the spring, and letting go to chop the tree. It takes all winter for the tree to be cut down.

When the tree finally falls, the mouse is shocked at how long it took him and wakes the turtle to get his answer. The turtle has forgotten who the mouse even is and tells the mouse to leave. The mouse refuses and demands an answer. The turtle just wants to sink back into the mud and sleep.

During the interaction the turtle mentions eternity or infinity. i believe for how long the next turtles sleep will be for. The mouse doesn't know what this is. The turtle tells him to look into a label of an old bottle very deeply. The mouse see's himself in the reflection of the label and inside the label he see another label also with his reflection, and in side that label the same reflection. Over and over, infinitely. Then the mouse gets it and is panicked that he'll never get the answer.

That's all I remember and it's really been bugging me. I remember it having a similar style to The Secret of Nihm. Any help will be welcome. Thanks!

Straydog
Cartoon Guru

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The repeating label is a dead giveaway
Everyone remembers the can label
into infinity

Sounds like...

The Mouse and His Child

Watch
The Mouse and His Child
(YouTube.com)

More info
http://www.bcdb.com/cartoon_synopsis/20533-The_Mouse_and_His_Child.html

-----------

Last edited by Straydog on Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
cptcrunchin
Radical

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats it!! Oh my god that was fast! Thanks so much

Once I heard the voice singing the song at the intro so much of the movie started coming back. The can label of dog food not a bottle. Crazy how my mind tried to fill in the blanks. I forgot all about them being wind up toys. So bizarre.

I like how you said, "Everyone remembers the can label into infinity" lol, love it

Awesome job Straydog

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Lost and Found All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: