80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Jitsu

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:42 am    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Jitsu Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-ravers,

Before I begin let me just say that Photobucket's new format SUCKS and is very UN-user friendly. So any issues with the pictures you see is because of that. I would appreciate suggestions for alternative picture hosting.

With that out of the way, let's take a look at a character who is easily recognizable to most He-fans even though he actually had little media exposure; Jitsu.

Jitsu comes in the standard MOTUC blister card package. The back of the box shows off other figures in the line and presents a bio for the character in the new continuity.

I am rather disappointed in the real name. While it is a nod to his prototype name, it defies the supposed rule Mattel uses for the real names in that it does not sound like something a person would honestly have as his birth name. The bio is interesting though how it beefs up his significance as one of Skeletor's big troops. Especially how he is the one to take over Snake Mountain once Skeletor leaves for Primus. It really fleshes out a character who was largely overlooked in the past. While Jitsu is largely remembered as an evil counterpart to Fisto, their rivalry was never exactly expanded on in any official media before. Jitsu only had a select few mini-comic appearances and in those he was mostly a background character or generic soldier. He made only one cartoon appearance and even then he was only there for a brief moment and did not get to really demonstrate his uniqueness. Also Fisto wasn't in that episode, it was Ram Man who defeated Jitsu then. Filmation apparently chose not to use Jitsu any more for fear of portraying a negative Asian stereotype.

Taking a look at the actual figure, Jitsu is made up mostly of the standard male buck. He has all the standard articulation and the joints are good and tight on mine. His boots have the newer look that hides the ankle joints and his left forearm has the shorter wrist bracer. Really only his head and right hand are new. The facial features on this figure are very fleshed out and give him the look of an older experienced fighter.

Jitsu features the same larger right bicep as Fisto, which I pointed out on that figure is a great detail that emphasizes how he must swing around a much heavier metal hand constantly. The hand itself has a nice metallic gold look, though it is not vac metalized as the vintage figure was. I also notice that the thumb is bent inward instead of being straight. (someone who knows more about proper martial arts techniques will have to tell me if this is more or less accurate) Like Fisto the knuckles are lined with colored gems adding extra detail to the hand.

Jitsu's armor is made of a softer plastic and, like Fisto, actually leaves a bit of his lower back exposed. Jistu however uses the standard torso instead of the flat ab version. The armor can be removed via small pegs, which were cleverly disguised so they are indistinguishable from the details of the armor. The back features places to store his weapons when not in use. Jitsu comes with his standard katana sword which is done in a two tone orange with a metallic orange colored blade. He also features two kama blades like the 200X version. Of course due to the nature of his right hand he can only hold one at a time.

Jitsu is mostly modeled after his vintage figure though his facial features are much more fleshed out and given greater detail. Personally I do not mind that his hand was not done in vac metal as having the gold flake off would detract from his overall appearance.

Jitsu's 200X staction was a very radical redesign and given quite a lot of extra detailing. For the Classics, the only real influence from this version was the inclusion of the two kama blades. To some degree the extra details on the head could also be attributed, but the details are no where near as extreme.

Jistu was one of those figures who initially struck me as not all that exciting. While a recognizable character, he was not one of my overall favorites. However, the detailing put into the Classics version makes him stand out much better and I am surprised how much I ended up liking him and am glad I was able to add him to my collection. I think most collectors will feel the same way. Jitsu is currently sold out through Mattycollector so you'll have to check the secondary market. Good luck and until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: