80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters of the Universe Classics: Slush Head

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:01 am    Post subject: Masters of the Universe Classics: Slush Head Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

It's no secret that The New Adventures of He-Man line is the least popular among the fan community, so it should be no surprise that it's been the slowest to produce figures in the Classics line. Nevertheless, there are some characters that fans do really like, even if they aren't fond of NA entirely. Mattel and the Four Horsemen have been careful to release these figures first among the NA characters, and even then at a slow rate, we're only now at our third; Slush Head!

Slush Head comes on the standard MOTUC blister card package and includes the Space Mutants logo sticker on his bubble. There's also a blurb on the side explaining how you can add water to his helmet again proclaiming, "It's fun!" and noting that the cup for filling is not included -more on that in a moment. The back of the card shows off other figures in the line and presents a bio for Slush Head in the new continuity. I must admit I haven't been able to find the original Slush Head's packaging so I'm not sure how much, if any, of this is taken from his old bio card.

One thing I do know is that many NA characters had alternate names on foreign packaging, like how Flipshot was Icarius. Slush Head's alternate name was Kalamarr so it was correctly predicted that Mattel went with this as his real name. Other parts seem new and make him out to be more of a crook than he was portrayed on the cartoon. In the show he was less evil than most of the mutants and just stupid, viewing fighting as a means of fun but also having a personal life with a sense of honor. One episode featured his getting married. When Sagitar saved his fiance's life he was so grateful he called for a cease fire and asked Sagitar to be his best man! This bio seems a little sloppily put together to be honest and also mixes up a few things. Among the really noticible is it's supposed to be the Quagmi Swamp, not Quagmire. (Giggity)

The figure itself uses a great many existing molds, yet still forms a unique look that captures the appearance of the character. His torso, shoulders, forearms and legs are all the same mold we first saw with Whiplash. He has the standard biceps, with the new armor pieces strapped on. These pieces are a bit loose so they can be adjusted, but they so tend to slip down a bit too. They connect with a peg, which can be removed, but this becomes a bit pointless as they are not designed to come off the wrists. His hands are the same as Mer-Man's marking the first time these hands have been reused!

Slush Head has the same pants piece and boot tops as Icarius, and then the standard monster feet we first saw on Skeletor. Now I must note that my figure has very loose ankles and likes to fall over a LOT. Apparently it's not just me either and a probable reason is these feet were not really designed to go with these boot tops. There is a larger than usual gap visible and I would wager a guess this is what leads to the loose ankles. You can get him to stand with some work, but it is a bit of a pain. The rest of his joints are nice and tight and he has all the standard articulation except for his head.

The figure's head is actually attached to his armor piece and does not move around. This was done so that we could have the water adding option for the helmet. However the original Slush Head figure had liquid in his helmet and his head could turn side to side with no leakage. Also there is no neck peg so this is one figure you cannot swap heads on. So there was really no point in making the armor removable but it does detach in the back with two straps that go on the same peg one over the other.

Now as I said the original figure did have liquid inside. For safety regulation reasons, they could not put water in the new figure but wanted to capture the essence of the old one. Therefore his helmet contains a plug in the back that you can remove and then put water in the dome. It's a tight fit and there is no leakage, though strangely enough I find it doesn't leak even when the plug is not in. I turned him upside down to dump the water back out and it didn't come. Somehow, no matter what angle it's held at, there is no airflow and therefore the water won't come out. This can be a problem if say you want him only half filled and put too much in.

While I do think he looks awesome with the water in the dome, I also worry about the affects of the water on the figure over time. I'm concerned the water will grow stagnant, which in turn could cloud up the dome and eat away at the figure. Initially I was going to recommend using only distilled water and even then changing it periodically, but the problem with removing it adds a new factor. You pretty much have to use suction to get it out, and the whole reason liquid wasn't put in in the first place was risk of health issues. So I'm torn. I really feel he needs liquid to complete his look, but I'm worried what long term exposure will do to the paint and plastic. I've heard, but cannot confirm, that the liquid in the original figure is actually mineral oil not water, so keep that in mind as well.

Slush Head's other main feature is his tentacles. They come detached in the package and plug into holes in the sides of his backpack, which is part of his whole armor piece and is very nicely detailed. The original figure's armor was molded to his body and his backpack came off. The tentacles were held in slots and couldn't really rotate without popping out and needing readjusting. These new tentacles are meant to go in either side depending on if you want them coming up under his arms or over his shoulders, and which side you want which claw on. I must point out however that once I got mine plugged in I couldn't get them back out. I tugged and they wouldn't budge. They rotate fine, but I'm afraid of breaking the peg if I try to take them out.

Originally it was planned to have the tentacles made of a bendy material, but after problems began arising with such material in Snout Spout's trunk Mattel opted to make them normal plastic rather than risk deterioration. (I must point out though that King Hiss' bendy arms don't seem to have any problem) As I said, the tentacles still rotate so they're not stuck sticking up and also both claws rotate on the ends. Also the hook claw is articulated to open and close, so you still get a good amount of use out of them and actually way more than the original figure.

Lastly, Slush Head has a recreation of his laser axe weapon. Just like the original figure it can be held as a gun or flipped and held like an axe. Overall, just as with Optikk and Icarius, I think the Four Horsemen did a fantastic job recreating the look of the original NA figure while making him also really fit in with the whole line. Despite the issues with the ankles and not being able to turn his head, I still think this is a great figure and one of the cooler NA designs. Poor Flipshot is outnumbered in the NA figures so I would not be surprised to see Hydron show up as the next NA character, though I'm actually more interested in getting the mutant leader Flogg.

Slush Head is now sold out on Mattycollector.com so you'll need to hit the secondary market for him. Good luck, good hunting, and until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: