80sCartoons.net Forum Index

2013 The Lone Ranger movie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: 2013 The Lone Ranger movie Reply with quote

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1673145/lone-ranger-movie-tonto-gore- verbinski.jhtml

I saw this article about this new movie and was just musing on it some. It gets a little funny to me that Johnny Depp keeps getting typecast as the eccentric, quirky role (i.e. Edward Scissorhands, Captain Jack Sparrow, The Mad Hatter, Barnabas Collins, etc.....) - but now he's playing Tonto in a new Lone Ranger movie.
It seems like the concept is to tell the story from Tonto's point of view and make fun of the way Native Americans have been portrayed as second class (which is fine in an historical sense because sadly that is true)- but I don't like that they're implying that the Lone Ranger ever denigrated Tonto. They were partners and they worked together and The Lone Ranger always treated Tonto as a dear friend. (Just see the 1949-1957 "The Lone Ranger" series with Clayton Moore and Jay Silverheels.)
Anyway- for the '80s cartoon connection, I was thinking how this proposed movie reminds me some of a great '80s cartoon that I loved watching as a kid. If you want a series with a Native American as the hero and not merely the sidekick- just watch Bravestarr! He's got superpowers to boot! Very Happy Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Aurora
High Priestess of the Cartoons

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about what they're supposedly doing with Tonto. We'll see how it plays out.

As for Bravestarr, that airs every Saturday morning where I am. It's a good solid show and I think I may now have seen every episode.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool to see Bravestarr still on the air somewhere! Awesome! Very Happy
It's not on the air where I live, but at least the whole series is available on DVD in a pretty affordable set. Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » General Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: