80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Masters Of The Universe Classics: Trap Jaw

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Skeletor
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Masters Of The Universe Classics: Trap Jaw Reply with quote

Greetings fellow He-Fans and She-Ravers,

Mattel's Mad Matty March sale is in full swing and among the selection are a good number of iconic characters from the Masters of the Universe series. So let's take a look at the fan favorite character, Trap Jaw!

Trap Jaw comes in the standard MOTUC packaging with the back of the box showing off other figures in the line and presenting a bio for the character.

About the only thing here that bugs me just a little is previously in 200X the Great Unrest referred to the the time AFTER Randor took over for the Elders and now it seems to be the period leading up to it. Not a huge deal, but a little consistency would be nice.

Otherwise this is pretty much the origin tale from the 200X Icons of Evil comic book, which I really like. There are a couple minor differences (for example in the comic Skeletor orders Tri-Klops to fix up Kronis while here it says he left him for dead) Of the 4 IOE issues Trap Jaw's was the best and if you've never read it I strongly suggest tracking down a copy. It's a really good read.

Moving on to the figure itself: Trap Jaw uses the the standard buck torso and furry loincloth pieces, though the shoulder sockets are given a slight adjustment to allow for removable arms. More on that in a bit. The entirety of his legs and arms are new sculpts presenting an armored look. On that note the arm color is a metallic blue setting it out from his blue skin. The hand on his left arm is posed in a more open position that doesn't hold weapons well. This is not a huge issue as Trap Jaw's main attraction is his weapons arm, but I do wonder why they chose to sculpt it in this way.

He has all the standard articulation and that even extends to his mechanical arm. The shoulder is ball jointed, there is a swivel joint at the bicep area and a hinge joint in the elbow area. The wrist area is where the weapons attach and thus can swivel.

While the jaw is not spring loaded like previous versions, it is articulated to open. It can even be removed, though caution is advised if doing so to avoid breakage. A very interesting attention to detail is seen inside. Behind that "metal" jaw is the remains of his real mouth complete with his tongue. It's a very well done sculpt, and pretty gruesome actually.

Trap Jaw's main feature has, of course, always been his interchangeable weapons for his mechanical arm. They can all snap in securely to the end of the arm via pegs, and all three feature clips to hang on his belt loops when not in use. The belt itself is removable as well. As usual his comes with a hook, a gun, and a claw. The claw is even articulated to open and close.

One minor issue is the weapons can easily get knocked off the belt while handling the figure. It's not a huge problem, but could easily have been avoided if the belt loops had been made horizontal like on the vintage figure instead of vertical like the 200X one.

As if this wasn't enough, Trap Jaw is practically two figures in one. He comes with an alternate head, and for the first time in the line, an alternate arm, allowing him to be displayed as his pre-deformed self Kronis.

Kronis' head perfectly captures his look from the 200X cartoon and comic, complete with an evil sneer. The arm is perfectly symmetrical to the left arm and they easily unplug and can be swapped on the body. For some reason the left arm was designed to come out as well, so technically you could put the mechanical arm on the other side if you wanted. The hand is designed in the more tight fisted position to hold weapons, however no additional weapons were included for him in this form. His Trap Jaw weapons aren't designed in such a way that he can hold them in his human hand. It would have been cool to have something for him to use as Kronis, but considering how much new tooling and accessories went into the figure, we can't really complain. There are plenty of extra weapons from other figures plus the weapons packs released later so it's not like we can't find something for him to use.

Next to the vintage figure you can really see how the Classics version is based mostly on this style but fleshed out with more detail and articulation.

The 200X version had a much more radical update, (though not as great as some other characters) The main influence from this version on the Classics is the Kronis character parts. Though that is in story only as there has never been a version of Kronis released before.

Trap Jaw is a fan favorite character, due in no small part to his frequent use in both cartoon series. This new figure is a perfect rendition of the character and I'm very pleased. I would consider this guy a must have simply by himself, but the addition of the Kronis parts only sweetens the deal and actually makes it probably worth picking up two so both can be displayed in your collection.

Trap Jaw is available now on Mattycollector.com as part of the Mad Matty March sale going on through the 20th and is thus marked down 10% off the normal price. Supplies are limited so grab him while you can, You won't regret it. Good Luck and until next time, Good Journey.

"I HAVE THE POWER!!.... the power is mine, not yours. Thanks for asking."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Reviews All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: