80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Thundercat by today's standards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronw80
Radical

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Thundercat by today's standards Reply with quote

Does anyone else think that some of the story lines in Thundercats could have had just a little more depth?

Don't get me wrong, I love TC, but sometimes, even as I child I would think that there was just something missing. Like Liono, he grew up overnight (from his prospective) but they hardly even touched on that. He was like "Oh, I'm a grown up now, cool" which is how he should have reacted, at first. But don't you think after he had time to think about it, it would be a little traumatic for a little boy to suddenly wake up and be 30?

He never went through puberty, never grew into the body he suddenly finds himself in. Wouldn't you think he'd be more like a scared child? Wouldn't he have the education, and then mentality of a child?

And speaking of education. It seems that they didn't have much of that on their homeworld. No one tried to teach Liono, or the twins, anything beyond training them to fight! No wonder their wold blew up, if the only thing they learn is how to fight!

Then there's the mutants, who are apparently just born evil? There's no explanation for why they hate the Thundercats. The same goes with Mummra, who again seems to be evil just because.

And of course love never even seemed to enter the picture. There was hardly even a hint that anyone was interested in the ONLY female left of their species(as far as they knew)! It seems odd that this never created tension between the the group! Of course that might have something to do with the fact that they apparently didn't have gentiles (as we can see in the first ep) and therefore just don't think about stuff like that.

Wow, now that I think about it while they were on that ship the man in charge of them all had them all running around naked. They'd all apparently been castrated. They worshiped him like as their savor. And they all go to sleep waiting for their "new world" to come....umm yeah, I don't think I'll be drinking any cool aid made by the creators of that show!!!

But anyway, in the end Thundercats was great for it's time, but I don't think it would hold up to today's standards. Kids today don't just except the concept of evil just for the sake of being evil. They like story to go with their action, and sometimes, they don't even need the fighting.

Take Avatar. Sometimes there were entire episodes where there were no fights at all, and the children still sat with their eyes glued to the screen. They like shows that don't treat them like they just wouldn't understand if they make things more complicated than good vs bad.

But what do you think? Looking back on Thrundracs from today's prospective, if you'd never seen it, and it came on TV now, would you be a fan?

Deninator94
Radical

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thundercats is probably the greatest show of it's decade next to Transformers,Vultron, & some others. But I can kind of agree with you. The show is supposably to be revolved around Lyon-O and Cheetara and the older Thundercats which is good the show is revolved around them during there adult age, BUT!!! as you were saying they could of went back and described there early past. But the show does balance it out a little bit having two younger characters, Wily Kit and WilyKat!!! Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved the ThunderCats as a kid in the '80s and I still love it now. I daresay most kids that have a chance to watch it today enjoy it as well. That seems to have been my experience with people I know. Smile

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
TSHARKfan1
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was in insult to me, where those 2 weren't allowed to mature, the same as Lion-O. SCREW THAT.

DenAirZel
Radical

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thundercats is probably the greatest show of it's decade next to Transformers,Vultron, & some others. But I can kind of agree with you. The show is supposably to be revolved around Lyon-O and Cheetara and the older Thundercats which is good the show is revolved around them during there adult age, BUT!!! as you were saying they could of went back and described there early past. But the show does balance it out a little bit having two younger characters, Wily Kit and WilyKat!!! Cool

LepricahnsGold
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, if they age in those cryo pods, wouldn't WillyKit and WillyKat be older? Wouldn't the other cats age and be middle aged?

"Oh, those kids are after me Lucky Charms!" - Lucky
dan_sedulous
Tubular

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i remember the space capsules slowed down aging, but did not halt it completely. now why lion-o's capsule was the only one to malfunction......tough luck i guess.

http://thundercats.wikia.com/wiki/Lion-O

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A ThunderCats Wiki! Awesome! Thanks for the link. Very Happy Cool

He-Man Prime-O
Radical

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThunderCats like many 80's cartoons were aimed at young kids. Romance etc. wsn't part of their world and so it wasn't in the cartoons.

The little character development and simple storylines half the time were basically there to sell toys. Look at Voltron or He-Man, the most popular parts of the episode were when the heroes transformed. I recently watched an episode where Voltron went through the whole "forming" process 4 times. Without this the episode probably would have gone for under 10 minutes...

So maybe to answer the question is yes kids would still love the shows, but adults wouldn't have. Which is why Masters of the Universe were rebooted with better stories in 2002 and the new ThunderCats will be just as good and have strong storylines for the older fans and try and grab newer ones...

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So maybe to answer the question is yes kids would still love the shows, but adults wouldn't have. Which is why Masters of the Universe were rebooted with better stories in 2002 and the new ThunderCats will be just as good and have strong storylines for the older fans and try and grab newer ones...

This makes me wonder though- who are these new cartoons really aimed at? Is it strictly at children of today or is at the children of the '80s who grew up and still enjoy watching nostalgic takes on the cartoons of their youth- or more than likely, both? Does that kind of approach work to fully reach and connect with both generations? Maybe more kids' cartoons today generally tend to be a little deeper? (At least as far as the action-oriented cartoons go.)

He-Man Prime-O
Radical

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MacGyver"][quote]So maybe to answer the question is yes kids would still love the shows, but adults wouldn't have. Which is why Masters of the Universe were rebooted with better stories in 2002 and the new ThunderCats will be just as good and have strong storylines for the older fans and try and grab newer ones...[/quote]
This makes me wonder though- who are these new cartoons really aimed at? Is it strictly at children of today or is at the children of the '80s who grew up and still enjoy watching nostalgic takes on the cartoons of their youth- or more than likely, both? Does that kind of approach work to fully reach and connect with both generations? Maybe more kids' cartoons today generally tend to be a little deeper? (At least as far as the action-oriented cartoons go.)[/quote]

Good question MacG.. I think the shows are probably more aimed at those who are already fans of the previous incarnation, and want a more mature version.

However in saying that I think today's kids with more access to information via the internet, interactive cable television and with new technolgies like iPads etc. I think they'll probably understand it a little better than what we did when we were kids. So I think some of the concepts may go over their heads, they'll still enjoy the show and bring a new audience to the franchise much like the live action Transformers and Animated did for the Transformer's franchise.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, true- good points, He-Man Prime-O.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: