80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind aka Warriors of the Wind

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HerbertWest
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:46 am    Post subject: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind aka Warriors of the Wind Reply with quote

Anyone seen or remembers this awesome 1984 Sci-fi fantasy adventure masterpiece from Hayao Miyazaki? it was Ghibli Studio's first debut and based on an amazing Manga. This was a big box-office/critical hit in Japan then in 1985 it came to the United States from New World Pictures in a heavily edited changed English dub cut called "Warriors of the Wind" which made a different story and different editing including a few scenes cut out and had a decent voice dub cast like Hal Smith and Cam Clarke to Linda Gary.

I remembered when i was 5 in the 80's i rented this movie and loved it, i even had my parents taped it. I didn't realize it was a horrible butchery until i saw the uncut fansub tape in my city's high school anime club and taped it as well for i loved it more despite i did liked Warriors, but thank god years later they finally did a sweet uncut remastered new dub and even have the original language version with subs.

teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it's funny you should bring that up.

I was at a convention recently and there was a box of anime on vhs. I was looking for a couple and this guy asked me if I had seen Warriors of the Wind in my hunting. He wanted a vhs copy because it would be none edited. I hadn't but 2 seconds later I did and gave it to him.

I saw it myself last year. It was very interesting and I was engaged with the story. But I honestly don't remember much of it. Will need to watch it again.

HerbertWest
Gnarly

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is awesome but the one you saw was probably the 1985 New World Pictures butchery which appalled Miyazaki. It's on DVD and Blu-Ray now with a better cut and has both a new dub featuring Patrick Stewart, Chris Surandon and more plus the Japanese language in subtitles.

Do you think this movie is similar to James Cameron's Avatar? i mean there are similarities and this was one of the inspirations to JC's movie since Cameron is a fan of animated movies, anime and Miyazaki/Ghibli productions.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: