80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Giant Robot with red glider and gender confused witch?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmazingSammy
Radical

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Giant Robot with red glider and gender confused witch? Reply with quote

I've been reading the forum for awhile, but this is my first post. I really enjoy reading posts in this section especially, so I thought I would contribute a question, and see if any of you 80's cartoon gurus remember this one.

It was on the air in Reno Nevada sometime between 84 and 89. It aired daily in the He-Man Transformers GiJoe block. I don't remember seeing this show in any other city at any other time.

It was a cartoon about a secret government agency that had a giant robot. There was a guy who would get in the robot and fight evil monsters that were always trying to destroy the world.

These monsters were created (I think) by an evil witch or sorcerer, who was half man, half woman, but cut right down the middle vertically. Wore a purple robe, and to the best of my recollection, was never totally defeated.

I'm inclined to think the show ran for awhile because it had some pretty serious continuity problems. Usually in the retelling of the back story. Later retellings were totally different than the original story they told to begin with, even totally contradicting their original storyline. To make matters worse, the local tv station didn't seem to care which episodes from which seasons it ran when, which made the continuity kind of hard to follow.

The robot started out not having a glider, but then obtained a glider which was red, functioned as a weapon for defeating evil monsters, and it was detachable, which made for some good animation.

The sighs and the writing on the show were in a language I didn't recognize as a kid. It was an import. My mother said at the time that it was arabic. I honestly don't recall.

I can't remember for the life of me what this show was called. Nobody seems to remember it.

Do you remember a show like this?

Straydog
Cartoon Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"an evil witch or sorcerer, who was half man, half woman,
but cut right down the middle vertically."

Sounds like Baron Ashura

from,...

Mazinger Z
a.k.a. Tranzor Z

View Mazinger Z
(Youtube.com)
-----

Icemage
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Odd that you watched the show in the USA and not have it be in English. Tranzor Z was a heavily re-edited and dubbed version of Mazinger Z (so heavily edited that it wasn't even the same storyline by the time they were done...), and yes, it had continuity issues galore because of this.

The version I saw as a kid was (more or less) aired in the correct sequence, and had English voice acting dubbed over it.

MOONBASEONE
Radical

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Tranzor Z. I think I'm one of the few of my friends that liked it back then. Lol.

I also somewhat remember,(I could be wrong), a Giant female robot that used her breasts as rockets on the show. I really don't see that being shown in the US back then but I remember it from somewhere. Haha.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOONBASEONE wrote:

I also somewhat remember,(I could be wrong), a Giant female robot that used her breasts as rockets on the show. I really don't see that being shown in the US back then but I remember it from somewhere. Haha.

Yep, you're thinking of the right one.
We were discussing this actually on http://80scartoons.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3668 there is a picture there too Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » Lost and Found All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: