80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Akira (1988).

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HerbertWest
Gnarly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:56 pm    Post subject: Akira (1988). Reply with quote

My all time favorite animated movie! i remembered back in 96 when i was 14 in early that year, i read in Junior High in the library in Newsweek magazine on an article on anime being the future of animation.

I had my experiences in Japanimation in the 80's when i was a kid such as Jack and the Beanstalk to Voltron! i watched Vampire Hunter D and Robot Carnival on TBS when i was 11 late at night, they rocked. So i rented Akira from one of the local movie rental stores here in Albuquerque and WOW what a movie! Brilliant animation that shows anime isn't the same stereotype as this was made by the same dudes who did Little Nemo Adventures in Slumberland and Tiny Toons to Animaniacs. Gory violence, complex storyline, a bit of nudity and a memorable music score that all captured my imagination at age 14. I became a re-established anime fan since then as i bought a copy from the mall along with Ghost in The Shell and even saw more anime.

moalpine
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:41 am    Post subject: Live action movie Reply with quote

I heard that a live action movie is back in the works. I'm not sure what to think about that, but with movie tech being what it is now it could be good.

HerbertWest
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You remembered seeing this as a teen in the 90's?

MOONBASEONE
Radical

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember when this came out and hearing about it on tv but it never really caught my attention until I was at the mall and saw it playing at the video store and thought, "that looks interesting." so I picked up a copy cause it was on sale and I must say, it's a pretty good movie. One of my favorite animated movies. I just got threw watching it a couple of weeks ago.

It still looks great.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HerbertWest
Gnarly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did this movie left an impression on you as well Moonbase0ne? i had some merchandise like T-shirts, a wallscroll, action figures, the CD soundtrack, VHS copy, Criterion Laserdisc and i also own the 2-Disc DVD and Blu-Ray as well.

MOONBASEONE
Radical

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbertWest wrote:
Did this movie left an impression on you as well Moonbase0ne? i had some merchandise like T-shirts, a wallscroll, action figures, the CD soundtrack, VHS copy, Criterion Laserdisc and i also own the 2-Disc DVD and Blu-Ray as well.

I remember thinking it was a pretty good movie when I 1st saw it and I really wanted a toy/model of the bike from the movie. I never really was the type to get wallscrolls and posters and all that. But I really wanted that bike. I never did get it though. But, I did pick up the collectors edition of the movie.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
HerbertWest
Gnarly

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also had some issues of the manga and own some back issue graphic novels of Akira.

do you remember how Keneda sounded like Leonardo from Ninja Turtles? it was Cam Clarke (a.k.a. Jimmy flanders) who voiced him originally and of he played on Robotech and the original US butchery of Nausicaa called Warriors of the Wind as Asbobel (a.k.a. Prince Milo)'s voice.

MOONBASEONE
Radical

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HerbertWest wrote:
I also had some issues of the manga and own some back issue graphic novels of Akira.

do you remember how Keneda sounded like Leonardo from Ninja Turtles? it was Cam Clarke (a.k.a. Jimmy flanders) who voiced him originally and of he played on Robotech and the original US butchery of Nausicaa called Warriors of the Wind as Asbobel (a.k.a. Prince Milo)'s voice.

Haha. Yeah, I do remember that. Me and my friend used to laugh about it when we first realized it.

Also, I never got any of the graphic novels either. I've only seen the movie. Honestly, I was in LOVE with the Transformers and even when Akira was out I had just started getting into collecting the TFs off of eBay and so that was pretty much what I was into collecting wise for a few years. G1 ofcourse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: