80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Favorite villainous plots?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:26 am    Post subject: Favorite villainous plots? Reply with quote

Eighties 'toon villains are infamous for their elaborate, theatrical schemes. What plots do you think are the coolest, most effective, and/or just plain strangest?

Coolest: I'm going to have to give this one to Starscream in "Ghost in the Machine" for making a deal with Unicron to get his body back and then double-crossing him. That's the scene where Starscream finally gets to be as cool as he's always thought he was: when Unicron demands he attach the cables to Cybertron and he tosses them down, nonchalantly responding, "do it yourself." Honorable mention goes to Samhain in "When Halloween Was Forever" for his plot to stop time so the titular holiday would never end. The rampaging goblins and diner full of skeletons were creepy!

Most effective: Skeletor gets the prize in this category for his evil plan in "The Problem with Power." By disguising a (literally) heartless ally as a human civilian and bringing him into battle, Skeletor is able to fool He-Man into thinking he's killed an innocent person and almost pushes him to the point of giving up. Venger gets honorable mention for his plan in "The Last Illusion," in which he fools a townful of desperate people into blaming the heroes for their plight.

Strangest: Cobra Commander has so many plans that are completely insane, it's hard to pick one. He did, after all, buy a fast food chain so he could replace their rocket-shaped signs with real missles and steal a powerful laser just so he could turn the moon into his own personal Etch-a-Sketch. However, I'm going to have to say his outright weirdest scheme was building a UFO and trying to pass off the Drednoks as an alien menace in "The Invaders." Honorable mention goes to Metlar for trying to kidnap and marry the Statue of Liberty in "Primal Passions."

Requiem's alternate ending!
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha ha- this thread just looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun. I can't think of any specific schemes right off-hand, but I agree that Cobra Commander had a lot of wild ones on G.I. Joe.
Shredder and Krang always had a number of crazy ones on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles too.
Maybe I'll be able to properly address the categories a bit later on- but those cartoons come to the forefront for me when I think about this topic. Very Happy

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*amused*

"The Problem with Power" was deffinitly a good ep. Although...I thought it would more meaningfull if He-Man didn't actually figure it out...

For a Good Plan Gone Bad, in She-Ra ep "Flowers for Hordak" Hordak and Shadow Weaver decided to use this magic jewel to darken the sun over Whispering Woods thus causing the trees to wither and die leaving the rebels exposed to Hordak's mercy. However, this girl named Purfuma can make plants grow without the sun so they kidnap her. (So impressed that they thought this through so far!) Things go horribly wrong for them however when Perfuma decides that the Fright Zone is just to dark and gloomy and covers the place in bright colourfull flowers.

ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teddy0bear wrote:
For a Good Plan Gone Bad, in She-Ra ep "Flowers for Hordak" Hordak and Shadow Weaver decided to use this magic jewel to darken the sun over Whispering Woods thus causing the trees to wither and die leaving the rebels exposed to Hordak's mercy. However, this girl named Purfuma can make plants grow without the sun so they kidnap her. (So impressed that they thought this through so far!) Things go horribly wrong for them however when Perfuma decides that the Fright Zone is just to dark and gloomy and covers the place in bright colourfull flowers.

That was a great episode, too! Flowers all over the Fright Zone.

MacGyver wrote:
Shredder and Krang always had a number of crazy ones on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles too.

I like the one where Shredder tries to find the turtles' secret lair by opening "Weird Pizza," a pizzaria that specializes in the sort of strange flavors the turtles favor, only to run into trouble when a) the market for weird pizza toppings is a lot larger than he anticipated, and b) in his search for more help, he obliviously hires a disguised Michelangelo (who, in all fairness, doesn't recognize him either). Also, there's "Turtle Terminator," where Shredder tries to replace April's best friend Irma with a killer robot.

Also, in the "most effective" category (not to mention 'most disturbing if you think about it too hard'): Ludwig, Roy, and Larry (or Kooky, Bully, and Cheatsy, if you prefer) in "Misadventures in Babysitting." Said Koopas find a lost little boy wandering around the woods and pretend to be his friend so they can use him as bait to catch the Mario Brothers. This was my favorite episode when it came out (because it was every kid's fantasy at the time, going to the Mushroom Kingdom and meeting the Mario Brothers), but rewatching it as an adult, I found the Koopalings' cruelty towards the child once he finds them out unusual for them. This crowd's typical 'evil plots' involve trying to get out of their chores and turn Venice into a water park. So, er, it's still my favorite episode, it just surprises me I never thought of that at all when I was younger. (This episode didn't come out until 1990, but the series started in '89.)

ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon the double-post. I was watching She-Ra last night and I got to a great plot I'd forgotten about. I think the name of the episode was "The Unicorn King." Hordak's out testing a new submarine when he discovers an island full of unicorns and decides he wants to capture them. Right now. And starts making up strategies to do this on the fly, with just himself, Mantenna, and a couple of flying robots they've got on hand. Considering he was winging it the whole episode, he puts in a pretty impressive showing, especially when he comes up with the idea of luring She-Ra away from the island and then surrounding it with a force-field so she can't get back in (and then picking up on the fact that, when she does figure out a way inside, she can't get back out that way).

TSHARKfan1
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i liked the part of the Purfuma kidnapping episode where she is shown dancing across the floor with the robot troopers. rofl

MontoTron
Radical

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold Slither in GI Joe! I loved the Dreadnoks as a rock band.

Pls vote for Hordak! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: