80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors vs Lightning League

View previous topic :: View next topic  
teddy0bear
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors vs Lightning League Reply with quote

I watched a couple eps of Jayce today and I found myself asking, why is it called Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors when Jayce's team is called the Lightning League?

I consulted Wiki and it mentions that it was created to support the toys. Ok, that makes sence, had to keep the name. They were also planning to make a movie and even wrote a script but since the toys did not do so well they canned the movie.

Ok, let me get this straight. They made the show after the toys and canned the movie since the toys didn't do so great. They actually planned a movie before the toys were released before the show was released? Really? And i think it would have been much cooler to call themselves the wheeled warriors vs the lightning league. Lightning and league seem to be over done.

And the show is really weird but saw boss is awesome. BEWARE THE MAGICAL ROOT! Mahaha.

jbmb2000
Tubular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved Jayce and the wheeled warriors.

Just as a disclaimer this is stuff that I've heard and can't even remember the sources so they could be completely wrong.

Basically with He-Man, Transformers, M.A.S.K. and the like toy companies started to see cartoons as a major vehicle to advertise their toy lines and the same was true with Jayce. If I'm not mistaken the cartoon went into development before the toys were released.

Unlike the other mentioned shows/toy lines the Jayce toys didn't come with a back story so the cartoons story was purely made by the guys who made the show instead of following a preexisting story.

Anywho like a number of other syndicated toons of the 80's they did a first season of 65 episodes and then planned a movie. They were then planning on a further season of 65 episodes.

However after the first season all plans were scrapped. As you say this was partly due to poor toy sales but also ratings weren't great. The show got a crappy time spot in the states apparently being shown at the same time as other - more established and popular cartoons - at one time I believe it was up against Transformers.

It's been ages since I've seen it and to be honest I never thought of the whole Lightning League/Wheeled Warriors thing before to be honest. I think Wheeled Warriors goes better in the name but I could just be saying that because that's what it's been called for all these years.

To through in a bit more info on this for you - I can't remember if it was established before but I know the plan was that Jayce's farther was actually the leader of the original Lighting League - perhaps this is why they kept the name - and that Jayce's was a reformation now that the monster minds were around.

I believe Jayce was supposed to team up with Audric (his father) in the movie but don't know what the full plans for the movie were or were they planned on going after that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: