80sCartoons.net Forum Index

New live action G.I. Joe movie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lazimus_Prime
Gnarly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:54 pm    Post subject: New live action G.I. Joe movie Reply with quote

There's going to be a new live action, big-budget movie based on the old G.I. Joe cartoon from the 80s. It'll be called G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra. It's set to be released on August 7, 2009. They already showed a trailer for it during this year's Superbowl.

Here's the official site for the movie:

http://www.gijoemovie.com/

And here's the imdb.com page for the movie:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1046173/

We had the Transformers movie from 2007, now this. What a way for 80s cartoons to make a comeback!

The new Joe movie is being directed by Stephen Sommers, who also directed the Mummy movies.

Here's some of the cast members:

General Hawk- Dennis Quaid
Duke- Channing Tatum
Scarlett- Rachel Nichols
Snake Eyes- Ray Park
Ripcord- Marlon Wayans
Cobra Commander- Joseph Gordon-Levitt
Destro- Christopher Eccleston
Baroness- Sienna Miller
Storm Shadow- Byung-hun Lee

Lazimus_Prime
Gnarly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember enjoying the old G.I. Joe cartoon and toys. A story about a military unit trying to combat an evil, international terrorist organization is kind of appropriate right now, considering how we've had to deal with terrorism over the past decade.

A little while ago, I tried making a comparison between the old G.I. Joe cartoon and the current War on Terror. I saw Al-Qaeda as Cobra and Osama bin Laden as Cobra Commander. Ayman al-Zawahiri(the second-in-command of Al-Qaeda) was Destro. Maybe Mullah Mohammed Omar(the leader of the Taliban) could be Zartan. And the US government would be G.I. Joe, with George W. Bush as General Hawk. Condoleeza Rice could be Lady Jaye, I guess.

My brother didn't like the idea when I told it to him, though. It would mean that the US government were the good guys, which my brother was against, since he hates the Bush Administration!

Looking at it myself now, I don't care too much for it, either. It's a total insult to General Hawk to compare him in any way to a moron like Dubya! Laughing

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very excited to see a live action G.I. Joe cartoon! I particularly like casting Dennis Quaid as General Hawk- he's just a good actor and has been in movies that I like- so I trust he'll do a good job with this. Ray Park also sounds perfect for Snake Eyes- though since he doesn't really talk, it's not like it'll make a big difference who plays him. I don't know why Ripcord was included- I would've preferred to see somebody like Stalker or Roadblock there- or maybe Beachhead. But whatever.
I also feel pretty good about Joseph Gordon Levitt as Cobra Commander- for some reason, it just seems like he was made for that role. So hopefully he'll do a good job too.
And from what I've seen of Channing Tatum, he seems to be a decent match for Duke. Yeah- can't wait to see this movie. Not to mention Transformers 2 right before it! Smile
YO JOE!!!

(A side note: Everyone's entitled to their opinions, but I would hope we'd always be respectful to every President, past or present- whether you agree with them or not. Wink God bless America and Yo Joe! Cool )

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
TSHARKfan1
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is one thing that bothered me about the comic, and all of the cartoon series throughout the 80s and 90s, and that was the fact that the COBRA troops were ALL or almost completely, white. why was that? from what the dossiers on the action figures read, was that they were from VARIOUS countries, so what's the deal, and did that bother anyone else?

one other thing, the dossiers also said that the troopers were TRAINED in real MARTIAL ARTS, not the art of "moron-fu"

ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a lot of enthusiasm for the upcoming film! Ray Parks and Sienna Miller both look spot-on as Snake Eyes and the Baroness, and Cobra Commander's one of my favorite characters in anything, ever. I can't wait to see 'em on the big screen!

Requiem's alternate ending!
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always got the impression (from what I recall of the card files anyway) that most all of Cobra were from European countries, thus the likelihood of having more white people than anything. For instance, the Dreadnoks are from England specifically. There were at least different nationalities mixed in there, if not exactly races. I don't know for sure- there's probably some African or Asian Cobra out there somewhere...
Oh well- I never really thought much of it as a kid and don't really think much about it now either. They are who they are.
On the other hand, there are some prominent black G.I. Joe members, as well as some Asians and other races (though I think a vast majority come from America). I'd have liked to have seen other characters included still- like say Crazylegs, Leatherneck, Shipwreck, Bazooka, Lady Jaye, Lifeline, Captain Grid-iron, Falcon, Jinx, and hey, while we're at it- Sgt. Slaughter! Laughing Smile
But there's always room to introduce more Joes in potential sequels! Wink Cool

jbmb2000
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember watching GI Joe (or Action Force as I believe it was called in R2 for some reason) as a kid but I did get a compliation DVD with 5 or 6 episodes a short time ago and there were 3 new Cobra guys being trained in and they were Asian - ok it's still white but it's still a different race.

Also I think for the bulk of them they were probably just the same template used to fill in the numbers like the Decepticons that transformed into a camera. It makes sence especially if you'r going to have alot of them - it's alot easier to draw loads of the same template then making each one different and there's not much point when they aren't really going to be playing much of a role.

TSHARKfan1
Tubular

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i did see ONE black guy in an episode(where dusty turned "traitor"), and he was in charge of latrine duties(go figure), and yet he was grateful and loyal to CC, even though he was given the "crappy" jobs, and in some circles, he would basically be called the typical "house negro". that to me, is NOT right, and those people at Sunbow need some kicking in various pants.

anyway, back to how the Cobra troops are portrayed as only being trained in the "art" or being slapped around, or "moron-fu". honestly, didn't it make ANYONE here mad or at least a little upset over how one-sided the hand-to-hand battles were?

ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, TSHARKfan1, the answer to both your questions can be summed up with one phrase: Broadcast Standards and Practices.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standards_and_practices

There are no hard and fast rules as to what these guys will and will not allow, but two things it is very hard to slip past them are minority villains in major roles and repeated punches, especially to the face. That's why Serpentor had to sissy-slap Lt. Falcon in the movie, it's why He-Man punches the camera instead of Skeletor, it's why "The Dragon's Graveyard" almost never saw the light of day, and it's why Baxter Stockman (who's black in the original source material) was portrayed as white in the first TMNT cartoon. The sad thing is, their intentions are good: they don't want to show a child a violent act they can repeat, or cause them to associate a persecuted minority group with a villain they are supposed to dislike. However, as in the example you pointed out, their "corrections" can backfire and actually make a scene more insulting. IMO.

EDIT: For extra fun, check out the article entitled "BS&P notes received by various animators" in the "links" section at the bottom of the Wiki article. Some of those requests are just as entertaining as the cartoons they're regulating. I laugh every time I hear the "Sword to Blanket" story from She-Ra. XD

cspackler
Radical

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to see snake eyes!

TSHARKfan1
Tubular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is another thing about the movie that makes me undecided about watching it. the good and bad guys seem to be wearing pretty much the same color of uniforms, black and black.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah- whatever happened to the guy in the white hat? Smile

ReComposed
Gnarly

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, excepting the Baroness and Snake Eyes, the costumes- at least the ones I've seen- are kinda blah. I'm not complaining that Scarlett isn't wearing shiny spandex and bright yellow armor, just like in the comics; I get things that are cool in comics might look off in live action and need to be altered. I'm also glad they didn't load them with so much irrelevant clutter you can't tell what you're looking at, because that's been an unfortunate trend as of late. However, I think they went too far the other way. There's nothing to make the Joes' suits stand out from all the other black rubber suits out there in movie-land.

Masked Destro and Cobra Commander are being kept fairly discreet, though. Some of the toy shots leaked, but not enough to get a good idea of what they look like, so maybe I'll like them.

TSHARKfan1
Tubular

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what kind of happy medium, would you suggest they try, if you had the opportunity to do so?

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't matter if they're happy or not - they shouldn't be messing with any medium. Wink

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way- here's an awesome sneak peek I found for the look for Trip-Wire and Destro in the movie. Cool

TSHARKfan1
Tubular

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, no i mean what changes would you suggest, to try to satisfy both the viewers and writers/studio exec's?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: