80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Web up Spider-Man DVDs from 1981(Spider-Friends- Go for it!)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Web up Spider-Man DVDs from 1981(Spider-Friends- Go for it!) Reply with quote

Okay, well, the DVDs aren't from 1981- but the Spider-Man cartoon is! Smile

Any other Marvel (and DC) comic book superhero fans in particular might recall all those VHS releases that came out some years ago with various episodes of great cartoons Marvel's put out through the years- it seems that a Canadian company is re-releasing as many as 8 of them onto DVD! And this is in addition to The Incredible Hulk (1982) cartoon DVD I posted before.

True- it's not a full series DVD release (yet!) - but at least it's a start.
Check out the link for more information.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Spider-Man-DVDs-Planned/9429

There's a number of Marvel superhero cartoons from the '60s and '70s that also are getting various episodes released- but of course, this being a 1980s cartoons forum- I just focused on the cool '80s cartoons we remember and love!
But you can also look for some classic shows like The Marvel Superheroes from 1966 (featuring Iron Man, Thor, Sub-Mariner, Hulk, and of course- one of my favorites- Captain America!)
And also a few episodes from the Spider-Man cartoon from 1967. (Which is already available in its entirety on DVD, by the way)
And even some episodes of The New Fantastic Four cartoon (from 1978- it's not too bad, even though they did switch out The Human Torch with Herbie the Robot) And even the Spider-Woman cartoon from 1979! Wow!

Hopefully releases like this and the success of movies like Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk, coming to theaters May 2, and June 13, respectively, will convince the copyright holders to get these great Marvel cartoons out in their entirety on DVD soon! (especially the 1981 Spider-Man cartoon and it's follow-up series- one of my all time favorite superhero shows- Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends! WOOHOO! Grew up watching those last 2 Spidey cartoons there- I'd love to see them again.) Smile

(And hey- I'd love to see some DC cartoon action going on too- still need to get all of the SuperFriends on DVD- and then I still want to see shows like Plastic Man (yes, there was a cartoon series- and it even had a live action Plas to introduce the show!) and that Superman cartoon from 1988! Perhaps the July 18th release of The Dark Knight will help some of that to get rolling along!
Very Happy Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O

Last edited by MacGyver on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
overload
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Always loved watching Spidey ad his Amazing friends.

Very cool that they are releasing these.

Hopefully they'll release the 1960's FF cartoon soon.

Toytainment Blog
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah- I've seen a couple episodes of The Fantastic Four cartoon from the '60s. I think I like that one better just because it's the true team, though in terms of animation, you'd think the 1978 series would be a bit more advanced and all (which it is, I suppose- and I don't necessarily have anything against Herbie the Robot... but still- I don't see why the standards were so strict that Torchy couldn't be on there- of course, if I understand correctly, I think he was also the original choice for Iceman's role on Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends- or something along those lines...but somehow they wound up nixing that- and we got Firestar, who still has similar powers... maybe it was just the whole thing of Johnny Storm's body being totally ablaze whenever he put his "flame on"!) Confused
Oh well- I love the team we did get for SAHAF or however else you like to abbreviate it. So no need to mess with perfection. Wink

If you enjoy those cartoons, (and you may have seen this before)- you should definitely check out www.spider-friends.com
It's by far the best Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends fan site I've seen online (okay- and like the only one pretty much- but it's very detailed and very cool! And there's some great companion sites for the 1981 Spider-Man cartoon series as well as 1982's The Incredible Hulk series.) Very Happy Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW- well, this is a special bulletin for all UK fans- looks like Liberation Entertainment will soon be bringing you Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends on DVD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Smile Cool
I really would so love to see this show come to DVD in North America- as I've said before, I grew up watching this cartoon and it's one of my all time favorite superhero cartoons- definitely my favorite Spidey cartoon.
But anyway- check out the press release here.
http://www.spider-friends.com/liberationentertainmentDVD.html

(The company actually also got the rights to other Marvel character based cartoon series- including Spider-Man, Hulk, X-Men, The Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer and Spider-Woman. I'm not sure exactly which series that would amount to- but I do know that the only Marvel cartoon series that have been released in their entirety, at least in North America, would be the 2003 MTV Spider-Man cartoon and The Fantastic Four cartoon from 1994 and the classic 1967 Spider-Man cartoon series and the 2000 X-Men: Evolution series. Other episodes of different series have had releases on compilation DVD sets, but never full series releases. So of these properties, it looks like we might expect to see obviously Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends on DVD, along with possibly the 1981 Spider-Man cartoon and maybe even the 1994 Spider-Man series (the one that ran on FOX), The Incredible Hulk 1982 cartoon and maybe the 1996 The Incredible Hulk cartoon, the 1992 X-Men cartoon, maybe both the 1967 and 1978 The Fantastic Four cartoons, and of course the 1999 Silver Surfer cartoon and the 1979 Spider-Woman cartoon. And while I'm excited to see the UK get such releases- I hope one day USA and Canada (and the rest of the world, for that matter) can also enjoy these releases. Along with all the other great Marvel and DC superhero cartoons and live action series, of which there's still plenty others.)

And keep an eye on this site for any information on a US/Canada release of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends- and probably most other Marvel cartoon series- on DVD - http://www.spider-friends.com/

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's Amazon.co.uk's listing for Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends- Season 1 on DVD!
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Spider-Man-His-Amazing-Friends-Originals/dp/B0017KXKYU?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1209425016&sr=8-16

They have the release listed for August 25, 2008.
I would think Seasons 2 and 3 would be bundled together though- since there's only like 3 or so episodes comprising Season 2. But that means the whole series could easily be out in the UK before the end of the year!

Wow- that's really cool for UK fans. I hope it gets a Region 1 release in North America sometime soon too!

Smile Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! I just saw this list at www.spider-friends.com and got pretty excited! Here's a list of the various Marvel cartoons that Amazon.co.uk already has listed for pre-order. Granted, Amazon does sometimes list stuff that isn't necessarily finalized- so dates could change- but we do know that Liberation Entertainment has the rights for these shows- so it looks this could be possible dates to expect these releases.
Definitely great news for UK fans!
And keep in mind this for North American fans- if you have a region free DVD player- that can play PAL format- then you can view these DVDs on your player right here in America! Smile Very Happy
(or wherever in the Northern Hemisphere you might happen to be)

See this page for links to the various Marvel superhero cartoons on DVD through Amazon.co.uk

Here's a list though-
May 26, 2008
The Incredible Hulk (complete 1966 series)
The Incredible Hulk (1996 series- Season 1, Part 1)

June 30, 2008
The Fantastic Four (1994 series- Season 1) (Note- This actually HAS been released in North America- in its entirety on DVD!)

Spider-Man (1967 series- Season 1) (Note- Again, this HAS already been released in North America- in its entirety on DVD!)

X-Men (1992 series- Season 1, Part 1)

July 28, 2008
The Silver Surfer (1998-1999 Complete Series)
Spider-Woman (1979 series- Volume 1)
The Incredible Hulk (1996 series- Season 1, Part 2)

August 25, 2008
The Fantastic Four (1994 series- Season 2) (Note- This would wrap up the series on DVD in the UK. This series is already out on DVD in a complete series set in North America)

Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends (1981 series- Season 1)
The Incredible Hulk (1982 Complete Series)
X-Men (1992 series- Season 1, Part 2)

September 22, 2008
The Fantastic Four (1978 complete series)
Spider-Man (1967 series- Season 2) (Note- Again, this series is already out on DVD in a complete series set in North America)
Spider-Woman (1979 series- Volume 2) (There's only 16 episodes in total- so this release would probably finish out the series)
The Incredible Hulk (1996 series- Season 2) (And this release would wrap up this series as well)

WOW! Looks like UK fans can look forward to a summer of Marvel superheroes on DVD! Very Happy Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm- well, the Amazon.co.uk site still lists Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends Season 1 coming on DVD by August 25, 2008- but I've seen a conflicting report elsewhere.
According to Play.com's listing, (and this web site)
the release date for the UK has been pushed back to September 29, 2008. But hopefully that just means that more time will be put into the product for better quality. Smile

overload
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Spider-Woman very cool. Really good cartoon. Good to have it out on DVD. Though I hope to see the Spanish version, as it was a pretty good dub. Also the opening theme for it was changed for the Spanish version by the same guys that did the Spanish opening theme for the 1967 Spider-Man Cartoon.

Those 2 themes were probably the best Spanish cartoon opening themes ever.

and 1966 Hulk also very cool.

Though I find it strange that they didn't just include the rest of the Avenger cartoons (Thor, Iron Man, Submariner, Captain America) from that era since they were mostly shorts and were shown together in the same Marvel show.

Anyway its a start.

Toytainment Blog
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the Iron Man cartoon series at least would be coming to DVD, given the success of the live action movie!
But yeah, I'd love to see all those '60s Marvel cartoons come to DVD, especially the ones shown together in the cartoon block.

By the way, I've noticed that Toon Disney now airs quite a few superhero cartoons, from DC Comics' Batman ('90s) and Superman ('90s) to Marvel Comics' Iron Man ('90s), Spider-Man ('90s) and one of my big favorites- Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends! Very Happy

jbmb2000
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="overload"]Though I find it strange that they didn't just include the rest of the Avenger cartoons (Thor, Iron Man, Submariner, Captain America) from that era since they were mostly shorts and were shown together in the same Marvel show.[quote]

They've been out (in region 2) for a while now and you can even get a box set with them all.

overload
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was kind of hoping for region 1.
Since I mostly watch them on my laptop and the player is only Region 1.

Anyway I did find on release in Amazon.com don't know what region is was supposed to be, but it seems its now discontinued.

Toytainment Blog
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The release for Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends (Season 1) and all the other shows I listed, are all in Region 2 (UK)

However, if you have a region-free DVD player, you can watch these in the USA, Canada or wherever else in the world you may be.

And I just saw a bit more good news regarding this- it looks like all the episodes of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends (for the Season 1 set anyway) should all be UNCUT, which means it'll be the first time since the 1980s seeing some of these episodes totally intact the way they were meant to be seen. So that's always good news.

jbmb2000
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
The release for Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends (Season 1) and all the other shows I listed, are all in Region 2 (UK)

However, if you have a region-free DVD player, you can watch these in the USA, Canada or wherever else in the world you may be.

And I just saw a bit more good news regarding this- it looks like all the episodes of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends (for the Season 1 set anyway) should all be UNCUT, which means it'll be the first time since the 1980s seeing some of these episodes totally intact the way they were meant to be seen. So that's always good news.

Excellent. Can't remember it in too much detail to be honest but I agree that getting to see it in full and how it was made is always a good thing!

overload
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:

Excellent news. Always good to get the uncut complete versions.

Toytainment Blog
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow- looks like we'll have the whole Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends series on DVD by the end of the year.
This site- http://www.spider-friends.com/liberationentertainmentDVD.html
has Play.com's listings for a Seasons 2 and 3 DVD set as well as a Complete Series DVD set and both are scheduled for release on October 27th! (Though they do note that dates are subject to change- but it still seems like a good chance that the whole series will be out on DVD right in time for Christmas. Wow- what a present!)
Very Happy Cool

Last edited by MacGyver on Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
jbmb2000
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacGyver wrote:
Wow- looks like we'll have the whole Spider-Man and his Amazing series on DVD by the end of the year.
This site- http://www.spider-friends.com/liberationentertainmentDVD.html
has Play.com's listings for a Seasons 2 and 3 DVD set as well as a Complete Series DVD set and both are scheduled for release on October 27th! (Though they do note that dates are subject to change- but it still seems like a good chance that the whole series will be out on DVD right in time for Christmas. Wow- what a present!)
Very Happy Cool

Nice one! Reckon I'll go for the complete set.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, check out the great cover art for Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, Season 1 DVD! Very Happy
(I do think they could have drawn Firestar a bit truer to her costume colors on the show, but just a minor quibble. It could be a lot worse.)
It looks pretty good! Well, Spider-Friends, Go for it! Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Look what the spider netted in his web!
Cover art for Seasons 2 and 3 of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends!
Cool! (Still think Firestar could look better, but overall not bad.)
Smile

Season 1 is set for release on September 29th.
Seasons 2 and 3 as well as a complete series set are set for release on October 27th. Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Spider-Friends! Check out the cover art for Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends- the Complete Series Box Set on DVD!

(Again- still think Firestar could stand to look a bit closer to her actual look on the cartoon- but I do think this is the best drawing of her yet out of the three covers.)
Oh well- minor detail. The main thing is that it is a good design in general and the episodes for the 1st. Season thus far are uncut and hopefully that will be the case for all the other episodes too.
The complete series set releases on October 27th, 2008- and you can buy it here!
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001CZ5MIW?tag=sfc-21&camp=1406&creative=6394&linkCode=as1&creativeASIN=B001CZ5MIW&adid=1NDTBM6XM565HE8DY4D9&

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey- take a look at the trailer for Season 1 of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends on DVD! Very Happy Cool
www.spider-friends.com

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: