80sCartoons.net Forum Index

Tally Hawk! SilverHawks comes to DVD!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Tally Hawk! SilverHawks comes to DVD! Reply with quote

YES!!! WOOHOO!!! This is some awesome news here.
After finally getting ThunderCats on DVD, now we can look for the sister (or brother- whichever) show- SilverHawks on DVD!!!!
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Silverhawks-Season-1-Volume-1/9861

SilverHawks- Season 1, Volume 1 will be released on September 14th!!!
(There was only 1 season though- 65 episodes altogether. So hopefully, it shouldn't take more than probably 3 volumes at the most to get this whole series released!)

Incidentally, here's a neat little sing-along video I found if you want to hear that great SilverHawks theme song again.
(And you can watch some episodes for free online while you wait for this great DVD release!)
http://video.aol.com/video/tv-silverhawks-sing-a-long/1857236

Wow- this is really exciting news. I grew up watching this cartoon as a kid in the 1980s. It was one of my favorites along with ThunderCats. I mean, I used to have the SilverHawks pajamas set! Laughing
Now if we can just get Rankin-Bass' "The Comic Strip" show (with TigerSharks, Karate Kat, Street Frogs, and The Mini-Monsters) to get released on DVD- that would seriously ROCK! That would complete the trinity of Rankin-Bass' '80s cartoons there. Cool

"You can do anything you want to do if you put your mind to it."- MacGyver

"Thunder...Thunder....Thunder...ThunderCats...HOOOO!!!!!!"- Lion-O
overload
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh yes very cool. I also grew up with this cartoon. Alwasy wanted the Mirage. Big fan of the only guy who had his own vehicle for most of the show.

Now only the somewhat short lived Tigersharks to complete the Trilogy.

I always wondered how their human limb never ac tually froze and fell off in the cold vacuum of space.

Anyway: Once again Monstar, YessMan, Melodia and the rest of the guys will roam free through the Galaxy.

"Moon Star of Limbo, Give me the Might, The Muscle, The Menace... Of Monstaaaar!"

Very cool.

Toytainment Blog
bti_jet
Radical

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

is there a silverhawks movie (cartoon) remember a family friend having it on vhs and been tryin to find it for ages also want the thundercat one as well

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't believe there was ever any "movie" for SilverHawks or ThunderCats. (Certainly not theatrical and not direct-to-video either.)
However, I think the Pilot episode for both have been released to VHS and sometimes Pilot episodes are billed as "movies", since they can stand on their own- and sometimes TV shows are tested by the success of that "movie"- that is, sometimes a TV show develops from that movie and sometimes, nothing develops, so all you really have is that movie.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, I have heard rumors of a theatrical ThunderCats movie supposed to be coming soon. I think I heard it would be CGI, rather than live action- but either way, it would be very interesting to see.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the awesome cover art for the SilverHawks- Season 1, Volume 1 DVD!
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Silverhawks-Season-1-Volume-1-Box-Art/9912

It looks it'll be 32 episodes on 4 discs. I don't know if it will include extras, but hopefully there'll be some bonus stuff too.
I would think the remaining 33 episodes (the show only had a 1 Season, 65 episode run) would be able to fit on a Season 1, Volume 2 DVD set to wrap up the show.
The Volume 1 release is coming on October 14th, so I'm thinking maybe by spring of 2009 or so we could have the whole series on DVD!
(Depending on how fast Warner Bros. moves this along- whenever I see official word on another DVD release, I'll be sure to post it here.) Very Happy Cool

overload
Totally Bitchin'

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bti_jet wrote:
is there a silverhawks movie (cartoon) remember a family friend having it on vhs and been trying to find it for ages also want the thundercat one as well

If I remember correctly the First 2 Episodes Origin Story and Journey to Limbo where originally aired together as an extended Movie Pilot..
I guess at some point they would have been made available on VHS.

Toytainment Blog
MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's Amazon.com's list of VHS releases for SilverHawks.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Dvhs&field-keywords=SilverHawks&x=18&y=15

And yeah, the Origin Story episode was definitely released on video. And I'm pretty sure "Journey to Limbo" was released on a separate VHS tape. I've still got quite a few '80s comic books that have a nice ad on the back for the release of SilverHawks on VHS. Very Happy

jbmb2000
Tubular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Region 2 ThunderCats Ho! was a striaght to DVD movie release as apposed to 5 seperate episodes.

If I'm not mistaken Region 2 never got the second season other then the above.

I much prefer the movie version to be honest but that's just me.

Back on topic - I can't remember ever seeing SilverHawks but from the looks of the opening it looks pretty cool - the fact that the same people who made ThunderCats makes it even more appealing.

I may well pick this up if they eventually release it in Region 2.

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you can check out the back cover of the SilverHawks- Season 1, Volume 1 DVD.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Silverhawks-Season-1-Volume-1-Rear-Box-Art/10065

It seems there will be at some cool bonuses- a retrospective featurette with creator interviews as well as a gallery of characters and action figures.
Oh yeah- and a sneak peek at DC's "Wonder Woman" (which, as near as I can figure, is their newest straight-to-DVD animated feature).
Cool. Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the official press release for the SilverHawks- Season 1, Volume 1 DVD set coming out October 14th.!
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Silverhawks-Season-1-Volume-1-Press-Release/10193
Very Happy Cool

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tally Hawk- more SilverHawks DVDs may be on the way finally!
Check out the link below- it looks like with the proposed appearances of the SilverHawks and TigerSharks in the new 2011 ThunderCats cartoon, Warner Bros. may just be willing to promote it with the rest of the SilverHawks episodes on DVD and maybe even TigerSharks on DVD!!!
WOW- that would be awesome to have both fully out on DVD! (And of course, the original 1980s ThunderCats series is already out in its entirety on DVD.)
I hope that a TigerSharks release would also incorporate all the rest of The Comic Strip as well (Karate Kat, Street Frogs and The Mini-Monsters) but we'll see how it goes. Anyway, this is definitely really exciting news for fans of these classic '80s Rankin Bass cartoons.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Silverhawks-DVDs-Planned/15874

MacGyver
Cowabunga!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! Warner Bros. Archive wasn't kidding on those SilverHawks DVDs!!!

Check it out- http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Silverhawks-Season-1-Volume-2/16019

Finally- the remaining 33 episodes of SilverHawks is on DVD as of tomorrow! (There's a pre-order link on that page too. Nice cover art too and cool that they included a mention for the new SilverHawks.) I doubt that any extras will be on this Volume 2 release, but at least it's finally getting released! Another classic '80s cartoon series on DVD in its entirety! Yay! Very Happy Cool
(And now hopefully TigerSharks and the rest of The Comic Strip will soon follow!)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    80sCartoons.net Forum Index » 80's Cartoons All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: